• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 United States Women's Disc Golf Championships May 21-23

Throw Pink is not a major. WNC was a major last year due to the covid cancellation of USW.
Insiders understand the semantics of the long-running control squabble between PDGA and Innova. The PDGA can label events Majors for reasons (sometimes political) beyond the scale of an event. The emerging media, players and tradition ultimately determine what events are truly majors.

So here's an idea...

I believe it was in the interview video prior to OTB Jeff Spring was saying he's always looking for venues/private land owners to host DGPT events. He painted the picture of resorts like his own, Smugs, being where things shift down the road.

DGPT has been very good about trying to ensure comparable payouts for FPO, even with much smaller entry fields.

It seems like it would be a good move for everybody involved to find a willing host for the FPO equivalent of USDGC...call it whatever you want. Invite only with qualifying spots offered throughout the year. Hit up Tito's and hold it in Austin somewhere every year...

Still offer something separate like Biscoe described his experience as, but don't make the FPO side a major. Or maybe do something like an XC tier and have FPO doubles or another type of unique format with clinics offered on the side for the ams to attend if the purpose is to grow the women's game.

I'll be interested to see how the next few years develop between the PDGA and DGPT. It appears that the DGPT has a vision of how they want their tour to move forward.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210427_082959.jpg
    20210427_082959.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210427_082824.jpg
    20210427_082824.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 155

I know of at least one women who would not touch anything with a wasp nest in it. You might want to have an alternate trophy available.

On that PDGA link posted above, it says only the final round will be aired on the YT channel but that link YT link i just posted says its going live in 30min. Unless it was a date error when they uploaded the vid.

I wonder if the lack of separating the roles of the non-profit PDGA and for profit DGPT plays into, what I believe, is some misplaced complaints and comments by PP.

I do agree that a major should be four rounds at minimum and that practice time should be for those who paid to be there. I would add that I think five rounds for majors is more fitting, IMO.

I am not buying the difficulty of a one hour drive and the inability to practice three shorter (Quick playing) courses.

Although this may be a pipe-dream, I have always thought courses should be a mix of skill sets that are mirrored in the varying distances and lines. Basically a 666 layout - short and technical / medium and somewhat technical / long and open...this way all the skills are tested and the most rounded player would rise to the top. Additionally, if three courses are to be used, the the same principle would be preferred, with each course falling into one of the above categories.

As for the future - I do think courses are going to move to more ball style setups (Not ON ball golf courses), with predominantly par 4s (10) - par 5s (4) - par 3s (4). The above categories can still be designed into those courses.

The difficulty is that courses in multi use city parks do not mesh well with the direction DGPT is trying to go. You need a space that you can completely shut down for a week for practice rounds, film crews, and event setup. They're wanting to charge admission for spectators too...all that adds up to needing a location that can 100% be dedicated to disc golf.

I can't speak for what the PDGA requires. It sounds like players are used to the amenities DGPT is striving for and anything else feels like a let down. As mentioned previously, that's a big difference when you're dealing with non profit volunteer efforts and a for profit organization. Not debating on which route is better, just that they're going to be different.

Questions about the FPO field for this tourney:

Was it capped at 62 participants, or would they have had room for additional players in that division?

And if it was capped at 62, were those spots first come first served, invite only, were there qualifying events or other criteria?

I wonder if the lack of separating the roles of the non-profit PDGA and for profit DGPT plays into, what I believe, is some misplaced complaints and comments by PP.

I do agree that a major should be four rounds at minimum and that practice time should be for those who paid to be there. I would add that I think five rounds for majors is more fitting, IMO.

I am not buying the difficulty of a one hour drive and the inability to practice three shorter (Quick playing) courses.

Although this may be a pipe-dream, I have always thought courses should be a mix of skill sets that are mirrored in the varying distances and lines. Basically a 666 layout - short and technical / medium and somewhat technical / long and open...this way all the skills are tested and the most rounded player would rise to the top. Additionally, if three courses are to be used, the the same principle would be preferred, with each course falling into one of the above categories.

As for the future - I do think courses are going to move to more ball style setups (Not ON ball golf courses), with predominantly par 4s (10) - par 5s (4) - par 3s (4). The above categories can still be designed into those courses.

I don't think her comments are misplaced at all. This is a crappy setup for the women. I also don't think any tourney that uses more than one course should be considered a major. An hour separation between courses is also way too much. I think the comments on course setup are spot on.

I don't think her comments are misplaced at all. This is a crappy setup for the women. I also don't think any tourney that uses more than one course should be considered a major. An hour separation between courses is also way too much. I think the comments on course setup are spot on.

It's a good thing you weren't around 25 years ago... You would have been yelling at all sorts of clouds during Worlds week...

Latest posts