• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any Monarch love out there?

discmeister

Eagle Member
This was a hot disc for a while. I only know one guy who still throws one, and I must admit he does it very well. I have one (167g translucent pink) but it never could beat the Vision, River, or my 167 beat up champ Beast out of my bag.

A guy at league throws one and can bomb it on turnovers.... I've had a few and they never really took the place of anything in the bag but they were good for rollers, turnovers, straight hyzer flips and short range overhand.

For a player who sometimes employs a "two finger snappy" grip style, the pad of the third finger can fit quite nicely into the groovetrack in the underside rim, making the oddness of the groove into a positive grip stabilizing element. Unfortunately that bonus doesn't play out in the larger rimmed groove mold, to much disappointment. Although disappointment with the groove hasn't sounded unique around these boards....

I love the monarch. I carry a few of them in my bag. One for rollers and one for tunnel, anny, and hyzer flip shots. It is a go to disc for me. I really don't see too much love for the disc in my area though.

I've never tried to throw it anything but backhand with the power grip. Maybe a different grip or shot style might make it work for me.

It can be a good driver for weaker arms like----well----mine. I often carry 175g Monarchs, which are straight to slight-turnover for me, with about as much distance as anything.

I had a 172 Champ one that was super flippy, it was great for tailwinds and such. Unfortunately, it was squeezed out of the bag by a 155 Champ Leo. I still like Monarchs though.

For a player who sometimes employs a "two finger snappy" grip style, the pad of the third finger can fit quite nicely into the groovetrack in the underside rim, making the oddness of the groove into a positive grip stabilizing element. Unfortunately that bonus doesn't play out in the larger rimmed groove mold, to much disappointment. Although disappointment with the groove hasn't sounded unique around these boards....

I keep one in the bag, but don't use it a whole lot. If I've got a longer shot I need to turn over and keep on gliding, I use it sometimes, but usually find another disc for the job. However, every now and then, depending on what I want it to do, I DO use it to flick. That small groove does help it keep balance.

IMG_20110226_110604.jpg
this is mine. i throw about 275-290ft and i feel when i can get a low power, understable disc to turn over i am getting more of a distance shot verses when i throw a boss or a monster...they fly straight for about 100ft then bank HARD to the left. anything understable works for me, the groove for example had a nice spot in my bag because although it is a high speed, it is understable and i can get it to s hook and get the distance. i think my longest drive was with a champ valk and it was prolly 320-330ft. but the monarch, sidewinder, beast, wraith, groove, and roadrunner all have a nice spot in my bag :)

It can be a good driver for weaker arms like----well----mine. I often carry 175g Monarchs, which are straight to slight-turnover for me, with about as much distance as anything.

^^ This. I actually found a Monarch on a course with a number on it and called the guy. Before he showed, I gave it a throw and liked how it went. Then he took it and I was sad.

I just bought one this week, and am loving it so far. It will probably end up being my go-to driver for awhile until I force myself to disc down this summer.

The day-glow yellow is clutch in the snow, though!

^^ This. I actually found a Monarch on a course with a number on it and called the guy. Before he showed, I gave it a throw and liked how it went. Then he took it and I was sad.

I just bought one this week, and am loving it so far. It will probably end up being my go-to driver for awhile until I force myself to disc down this summer.

The day-glow yellow is clutch in the snow, though!

I've got another one (very bright) if you decide you need a backup... unfortunately my love wasn't strong enough.

Its a really consistent understable disc, and has been my utility understable for a while. I love it for high arcing overhands and my seldom rollers. I've used it as my FH turnover as well, but its not a shot I throw often anymore. I carry a Vision as my long BH understable, but I don't want to beat it in too much through OH/rolls, so the Monarch stays in the bag.
Its also great for FHers with less strength.

I love me some Monarch, they are a fun utility disc for Super tall anhyzers and hyzer flips. One of my favorite throws was with a 175g Star Monarch, hole one at Plamann Park 463ft, big sweeping s-curve, hit the pole off a skip.

I do like the Monarch, my buddy can bomb them but I guess I am too addicted to my Star Katana to mess with a Monarch.

I love me some Monarch, they are a fun utility disc for Super tall anhyzers and hyzer flips. One of my favorite throws was with a 175g Star Monarch, hole one at Plamann Park 463ft, big sweeping s-curve, hit the pole off a skip.

That must have been a pretty nice rip, I've never seen anybody get even very close to that hole before. The longest i've ever gotten was probably about 400 out on the right side over the road lol. I usually go for the long straight shot over the road with fade back in towards the basket, but i never get very close.

As for the monarch, i found a 171 g one at plammans hole 13's woods WAY off to the right. i can see why it was so far to the right, cuz wow this thing is understable. And I only have about 330 of power, maybe a bit of OAT though.

My 'narchs got clipped, bumped and drowned by my Rivers
Monarch is an under rated disc tho

That must have been a pretty nice rip, I've never seen anybody get even very close to that hole before. The longest i've ever gotten was probably about 400 out on the right side over the road lol. I usually go for the long straight shot over the road with fade back in towards the basket, but i never get very close.

As for the monarch, i found a 171 g one at plammans hole 13's woods WAY off to the right. i can see why it was so far to the right, cuz wow this thing is understable. And I only have about 330 of power, maybe a bit of OAT though.

Ya that was by far my best shot on any hole at Plamman. I have good success throwing a big s curve down the left of the fairway.