• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand 1357

NoseDownKing

Eagle Member
https://youtu.be/cymVugbwRr4

I've posted form checks dozens of times in Reddit, but now I decided to change things up a little. By posting something here!

I throw around 460'-480' if that helps anything.

I've put in some ridicilous hours fixing my technique. While lately I've been able to analyze myself quite a bit, since I've learnt to do so from reading a lot about proper technique. Now it feels like I can't really figure out if I'm doing anything incorrectly, atleast anything major.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Your form looks great dude, much better than mine.
But one thing I do notice comparing your form (in this throw) with alot of the top players is that they have tilted shoulders in the back turn/swing. I am sure you will see it for yourself if you look it up (eagle and simon for example).
Their right shoulder swings downwards and the left upwards (dho). When coming through tho, the left shoulder comes down and the shoulders levels up and the disc comes out flat.

Maybe this is something for you to try out :)
good luck

Last edited:
Looking pretty good there overall. Camera angle looks a little funky. I think your left foot is crossing over to the left teepad in the way of your right foot stride, and end up too staggered closed on front foot with your CoG too far to the right teepad of your right foot/ankle, so your front foot starts spinning out early because your pressure/balance on the foot is too much behind your heel instead of in dynamic balance/stack on it.

Note your balance in the finish with your torso leaning over to the right and your rear leg countering over to the left, instead of finishing more stacked/balanced right on the front foot. Might help to land with your front knee more over to the left tee right over your toes, instead of toward the right/heel. Looks like you land on the front foot with your shin vertical and then angles back / bracing behind the heel. Rather see you land with shin angled \ and bracing l vertical right on top the heel/ankle like you see me doing in One Leg Drill behind the tee.

Your form looks great dude, much better than mine.
But one thing I do notice comparing your form (in this throw) with alot of the top players is that they have tilted shoulders in the back turn/swing. I am sure you will see it for yourself if you look it up (eagle and simon for example).
Their right shoulder swings downwards and the left upwards (dho). When coming through tho, the left shoulder comes down and the shoulders levels up and the disc comes out flat.

Maybe this is something for you to try out :)
good luck
Yeah true. I was throwing flat here so I don't knoe if that might have had an impact on the shoulder tilt?

Yeah I think your weight shift is a little bit too far to the left of the trajectory line, that's why your CoG is too far right (to counter it). Front foot stride into plant should be in the direction of the shot, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Looking pretty good there overall. Camera angle looks a little funky. I think your left foot is crossing over to the left teepad in the way of your right foot stride, and end up too staggered closed on front foot with your CoG too far to the right teepad of your right foot/ankle, so your front foot starts spinning out early because your pressure/balance on the foot is too much behind your heel instead of in dynamic balance/stack on it.

Note your balance in the finish with your torso leaning over to the right and your rear leg countering over to the left, instead of finishing more stacked/balanced right on the front foot. Might help to land with your front knee more over to the left tee right over your toes, instead of toward the right/heel. Looks like you land on the front foot with your shin vertical and then angles back / bracing behind the heel. Rather see you land with shin angled \ and bracing l vertical right on top the heel/ankle like you see me doing in One Leg Drill behind the tee.

By crossing over to the left teepad with the left foot, do you mean the step before coming into the x-step? I wouldn't understand how that's possible during the x-step so I reckoned it would be before it? So I should be moving more targetwards with each step instead of moving slightly left?

Yeah true. I was throwing flat here so I don't knoe if that might have had an impact on the shoulder tilt?
Their follow through is often level with the ground even when the reach back starts with an shoulder angle, which should mean they are throwing flats and not only doing it when throwing hyzers and flips.

By crossing over to the left teepad with the left foot, do you mean the step before coming into the x-step? I wouldn't understand how that's possible during the x-step so I reckoned it would be before it? So I should be moving more targetwards with each step instead of moving slightly left?

I see what he's saying I think.

Your foot is moving in the direction of the red arrow, but the disc trajectory is the green arrow. So if your foot crosses behind like that, the only way to correct would be for your plant foot to swing around your rear foot because its in the way of the true target line. From this still it looks like you are aiming almost perpendicular to the camera, but the disc actually ends up going away from the camera. Does that make sense?

sSu9a6k.png

Your left foot is moving on the red arrow toward left teepad side, in the way of your right foot.
Seppo's left foot is moving on the green arrow toward right teepad side out of the way of his right foot.
Also note Seppo doesn't even bother crossing his knees over.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 7.33.51 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 7.33.51 PM copy.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 559
https://youtu.be/Jm_shjOY_cQ

Here I was adding a forward pump. I realized it made everything easier and more effortless so I'm now working with it.

In this video everything looks good in my eyes except for one thing. I'm simply not getting onto the front leg in the finish. I'm like barely not getting onto the front leg. I tried striding more linear, but while I was striding more linear, it didn't really fix the getting onto the front leg issue.

Looking good there.

Your 1st step with right foot looks to be stepping in the way of your left foot going into x-step toward right teepad. So your left foot has to step further to the right tee side to get forward of right foot, and this puts your balance too far over your rear toes and have to stagger your plant too closed to catch yourself.

I want my right foot to step over toward left teepad so my left foot has free access to kick or step behind more straight to target. And right foot also has free access to stride/kick targetward with left foot out of the way.

Looking good there.

Your 1st step with right foot looks to be stepping in the way of your left foot going into x-step toward right teepad. So your left foot has to step further to the right tee side to get forward of right foot, and this puts your balance too far over your rear toes and have to stagger your plant too closed to catch yourself.

I want my right foot to step over toward left teepad so my left foot has free access to kick or step behind more straight to target. And right foot also has free access to stride/kick targetward with left foot out of the way.
Makes perfect sence. Thanks

Looking pretty good overall although camera angle and moving isn't the best along with uphill hole. Your rear arm looks a little late and think it's putting your upper body over the top a little instead of shifting your hips forward quicker, and causing the wobble.

Try elbowing your hips forward into the plant. Watch Markus from behind and how he really drops into the plant and his rear arm is moving to his front heel before he plants the front heel and then counters away. Could also try Linus' crazy over top rear arm swim move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124523

That elbowing the hips forward feels really unnatural. Any other way to think about it?

Lots of ways. Don't Spill the Beverage. Leveraging yourself/weight forward into the plant ahead of the swing. Getting rear arm and rear knee forward into your center of gravity/plant leg. Reaching forward in backswing.

Note how your forearm is behind your back at heel plant instead of in front of chest/navel. It looks like you let your arm go in the backswing so your rear shoulder starts drifting ahead/away from the rear knee/hip.

Note how it looks like Paul and me are about rip the disc in half as the hands separate.
If you imagine two posts or poles one on each yellow line, it appears as though Paul and me are grabbing onto the front leg post with the rear hand and the rear elbow is pinning the post to the rear shoulder and hip and knee and bringing or squeezing the rear post forward to the front post.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 10.20.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 10.20.22 PM.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 246
https://youtu.be/B09qhUUGZIk

Sorry no slowmo. Seems like the posture is better here? I wasn't actually thinking about the rear arm at all. I was thinking of having my chest pointing more upwards at the follow through.

You need to get balanced forward to leverage your core in the backswing. You are pushing off your right foot without your left shoulder/all your weight forward of it and causes you to take a longer x-step and putting you even further behind your left foot.
Note how Eagle is leading his stride with both hips forward forward of rear foot. Hershyzer Drill.
attachment.php

Note how Eagles front shoulder is loaded/folded back to the rear hip/leg and rear shoulder is forward of rear hip - Door Frame Drill.
Also note how both his femurs/knees are hanging more underneath the hip instead of away, so he is landing more upright on the femur, while your femurs/knees are more angled out and stance is wider and staggered more closed. - Swivel Chair, Riding the Bull.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 5.25.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 5.25.58 PM.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 240
  • sd eagle xstep.jpg
    sd eagle xstep.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 243