• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Beast vs. Valkyrie

Which do you prefer, the Beast or the Valkyrie?

• Beast is better!

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • Valkyrie is the one!

Votes: 62 66.0%

• Total voters
Every year at some point I do a "throw off" in an open field with all my distance drivers to see what I'm really throwing farthest. I am always surprised to see an old DX Beast hanging in there with the newer stuff. Everyone acts like it's an old relic that has been left behind, but most people would throw a Beast just as far as whatever they are currently throwing. And maybe more consistently.

Beasts are sneaky far. I'm surprised most people don't bag this disc. I suppose Destroyers, Defenders, and what not are more popular. I bag two in Champ Plastic when I need a guaranteed 450+'

Beasts are sneaky far. I'm surprised most people don't bag this disc. I suppose Destroyers, Defenders, and what not are more popular. I bag two in Champ Plastic when I need a guaranteed 450+'

A majority of disc golfers would be better off bagging Orcs/Beasts/Valks but they have to throw that the pros do...even if they are maxing a Destroyer out at 300.

Every year at some point I do a "throw off" in an open field with all my distance drivers to see what I'm really throwing farthest. I am always surprised to see an old DX Beast hanging in there with the newer stuff. Everyone acts like it's an old relic that has been left behind, but most people would throw a Beast just as far as whatever they are currently throwing. And maybe more consistently.

I agree. I don't throw DX Beasts, but I used to bag champion Beast Xs back in the day. Before Innova got all silly and changed the mold. Beast Xs are very legit distance bombers. Great S curve flight and lots of glide. I was always able to bomb Beasts further than Orcs. Beasts would glide better and not fade out as quickly.

I have two dx Beasts. A 175g and a 160g. They both go the same distance. I hyzer flip them 318-324 feet. They seem to go as far as any other driver for me.

I agree. I don't throw DX Beasts, but I used to bag champion Beast Xs back in the day. Before Innova got all silly and changed the mold. Beast Xs are very legit distance bombers. Great S curve flight and lots of glide. I was always able to bomb Beasts further than Orcs. Beasts would glide better and not fade out as quickly.

I posted before in the Archangel thread that I was throwing DX Archangels near the lake on my home course, just in case the DG gods demand plastic sacrifice (and they do, all too frequently). Next time I order, I'm going to throw a DX Beast in the cart and see how it does. I have a Star Beast but have never tried aa DX Beast. We'll see what happens... :popcorn:

A majority of disc golfers would be better off bagging Orcs/Beasts/Valks but they have to throw that the pros do...even if they are maxing a Destroyer out at 300.

I'm a proud Orc thrower! I understand my limits :thmbup:

...Next time I order, I'm going to throw a DX Beast in the cart and see how it does.

How do you know which mold you're getting? I thought the X mold was mostly Champion now...does the DX have to say "Beast-X" in the stamp to be an X? I picked up a new DX Beast last fall on sale. It turns far too easy, and I believe it's the L.

How do you know which mold you're getting? I thought the X mold was mostly Champion now...does the DX have to say "Beast-X" in the stamp to be an X? I picked up a new DX Beast last fall on sale. It turns far too easy, and I believe it's the L.

For the DX Beast, I'm probably not going to care, as long as the disc avoids the water (and if it goes in the water, I've only paid $7 or so for it...).

The Beast is such a great disc....especially when you cycle them. I have one for turnover/annys/hyzerflips and 1 for when I need some fade. Love the grip.

Valks are good too, just stuck with Beasts

Jesus i know what you mean. I picked one up thinking it would be my go-to flippy driver and it ended up being the second most overstable disc in my bag.

I ordered one Star Valk and it was a domey pos. Loved Dx Valks. I guess that's what turned me off on Valks vs Beasts...

I posted before in the Archangel thread that I was throwing DX Archangels near the lake on my home course, just in case the DG gods demand plastic sacrifice (and they do, all too frequently). Next time I order, I'm going to throw a DX Beast in the cart and see how it does. I have a Star Beast but have never tried aa DX Beast. We'll see what happens... :popcorn:

Archangels are flippy junk. I don't even see how you can throw them accurately. I bet the lake was all too happy to eat all of them up.

Beasts are still a tad flippy, but way more manageable. Usually around water holes I tend to use overstable discs because I want very consistent flights. I don't want something flipping over randomly around water.

Archangels are flippy junk. I don't even see how you can throw them accurately. I bet the lake was all too happy to eat all of them up.

Beasts are still a tad flippy, but way more manageable. Usually around water holes I tend to use overstable discs because I want very consistent flights. I don't want something flipping over randomly around water.

1. The lake is on the left, and I throw RHBH. So if the Archangels flip, they flip away from the lake.

2. I'm sure someone of your armspeed would find Archangels to be flippy. For me, and throwing for accuracy as opposed to raw power, they fly pretty straight to slightly understable. I get them in max weight (175g), too.

3. One big problem with this particular hole and lake is the wind. I once had a disc (a TL) that I was throwing along the other side of the line of cedar trees on the right (that separate this hole from the hole next to it) get picked up by the wind and carried well over 50 ft. left and into the lake. It's also pretty narrow right around where the hole bends around the lake, so an overstable disc runs the risk of skipping left and going into the lake. Every time I watched the pros throwing in the LVC and seeing those hyzers come in, I'd think of how good it was that there was no lake there.

4. So we'll see how a DX Beast does. And yes, I'll practice with it first to see if it's understable enough to throw around that disc-eating lake...

1. The lake is on the left, and I throw RHBH. So if the Archangels flip, they flip away from the lake.

2. I'm sure someone of your armspeed would find Archangels to be flippy. For me, and throwing for accuracy as opposed to raw power, they fly pretty straight to slightly understable. I get them in max weight (175g), too.

3. One big problem with this particular hole and lake is the wind. I once had a disc (a TL) that I was throwing along the other side of the line of cedar trees on the right (that separate this hole from the hole next to it) get picked up by the wind and carried well over 50 ft. left and into the lake. It's also pretty narrow right around where the hole bends around the lake, so an overstable disc runs the risk of skipping left and going into the lake. Every time I watched the pros throwing in the LVC and seeing those hyzers come in, I'd think of how good it was that there was no lake there.

4. So we'll see how a DX Beast does. And yes, I'll practice with it first to see if it's understable enough to throw around that disc-eating lake...

Does anyone ever clean discs out of the lake around there? Seems like you could score a whole bunch of lake discs for cheap off of whomever pulls them out.

Does anyone ever clean discs out of the lake around there? Seems like you could score a whole bunch of lake discs for cheap off of whomever pulls them out.

Yes, people get in there and pull out discs. I've seen a couple of guys doing that on Mondays after summer weekends where people threw a lot of discs in. They're good about calling if the discs are inked, too. I've had a couple returned to me. I've also been known to go wading in after my disc, as well, if I can see it to get to it.

And of course some of the discs end up in the used bins at the PIAS down the road.

I loved my old Discraft XL. But I can't stand the L version Beast. I really want to get my hands on an X version just to see why everyone thinks the Beast is so great.

So to be clear, the Champion Beasts being sold today....are they X or L? I think I'll have to buy this in person, so are there any other things to look for physically that separates these two molds? I believe I know what I'm looking for in the wing, but is there anything else?

Innova really gives me a headache sometimes.

I loved my old Discraft XL. But I can't stand the L version Beast. I really want to get my hands on an X version just to see why everyone thinks the Beast is so great.

So to be clear, the Champion Beasts being sold today....are they X or L? I think I'll have to buy this in person, so are there any other things to look for physically that separates these two molds? I believe I know what I'm looking for in the wing, but is there anything else?

From my experience and research, all Beasts in Champion and GStar sold today are X mold.

The Beasts being sold these days seem to be L mold. You can tell by looking at the wing. It looks like a Sidewinder, very flat. As far as I know, the wing is the only thing that differentiates the 2 Beasts.

I fully agree that the Beast L sucks. Its like a clunky speed 10 Sidewinder. The Beast X seemed to be a little sleeker and faster. It did better S curves and had more late fade. It was also less flippy than the Beast L.

If you find a Beast X you'll love it. Champion plastic. They're out there.

Latest posts