• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best/Worst someone getting hit with disc stories

colodiscgolfer

Eagle Member
So we've all seen it... someone throws an errant shot and it gravitates directly to some poor unsuspecting soul. I've seen a few real doozies in my day and thought I'd share 2 of the best/worst of them. (Real names have been replaced by a letter to protect the innocent/guilty)

So my buddy T completely doinks a 20 ft putt off the basket that would have put him ahead. Having seen the errant putt drop to the ground, my other buddy B walks across T's line in order to get to his disc. T is pissed about the missed putt and grabs another disc to throw what we refer to as a 'piss off putt' (thrown much harder than needed with the general intention of smashing the pin). T doesn't see B crossing his line and lets it fly. We all yell B's name as we see T about to fire one away, but it is too late for any reaction besides looking directly at his pending doom. The disc catches him on the bridge of his nose, right between the eyes. Gushing blood and several 4 letter words ensue. B still carries the scar to this day. B and T are still great friends to this day, and both laugh about the incident now, but everyone always asks T if he's 'done' after missing a putt before crossing his line.

We arrive at Harlow Platts DG course in South Boulder to find ourselves stuck behind a group of 2 guys and 1 girl. The guys tee off on hole 1 and are definitely novice at best, throwing mis-directed shots in the 200 ft range. The girl is obviously out for her 1st time, as the guys try to give her much advice before her throw, and she skies one about 35 ft off the tee. After we wait about 10 minutes for them to finish the first hole, our group promptly drives and all get birdiable shots on the first hole. a few of us make the putts, and a few don't. The group ahead of us has just teed off on hole 2 as we approach the tee pad, and one of the guys politely tells us to play through as it is obvious that they'll be holding us up for the whole round. I step up to the box and throw a nice tee shot around the big tree in the middle of the fairway right up near the pin. My buddy Z then steps to the plate. He generally throws a pretty good RHFH shot and often gets 375-400ft of distance. This is a pretty long hole so he's really ready to let her rip. The girl from the other group is about 8-10 feet below, 30 ft away from the tee pad, and about 30 degrees off from the direction of the pin... searching through some cat-tails in the swamp for her disc. For a 'good' drive, this would be a very safe place to be. Z winds up and lets loose, only to release just a touch early. The thick rimmed overstable disc absolutely laser beams right at her. I try my best to warn her, but it all happens so quickly the only the 'f' of 'fore' got out of my mouth before impact. The disc catches her in the back of the head, right at the base of the skull, her stack of discs go flying in the air, and her face promptly plants itself right into the thick black mud of the swamp. I drop to the ground rolling, half in horror of the carnage I just witnessed, and half laughing at the near execution style in which she was tagged. I have never before, and hope to never again see someone get hit by such a big shot from such close range. After we gathered ourselves we quickly ran up to see if she was ok, and her first motion after pulling her face up from the mud was to stick her left arm our, middle finger extended in Z's direction. Her friends came back and were trying to evaluate if she was ok. Her words were garbled, and she was justifiably more than just a little pissed off, now with both middle fingers pointed Z's way. It quickly became the group consensus that she needed to medical attention to get checked out for a concussion or worse. Her friends decided to take her to the doctor, and Z was trying to get contact info to check if she was ok later. She wasn't having any of it, and just kept swearing and giving him the middle finger, so he wisely decided that it was probably best to just back off, and let them leave. We never found out what happened to this girl, but I would be shocked if it wasn't at least a minor concussion.

Anyone else got some good/bad folks getting tagged with disc stories?

Was told the following story just over lunch break. I'll tell it like he told me.

There is a hole over in Plymouth, MN that has a blind basket. The hill crest is just past the teepad and then it goes downhill to the basket, and then to the right there is a bunch of picnic tables. I just ripped my drive over the hill and then ran up to the top of the hill to watch where it was landing. My drive was in the middle of the fairway so I was fine, and I turned to my buddy and told him to go. When he let go, he released with a TON of griplock, shanking the disc way off to the right. Completely ignorant of the situation at hand was a lady sitting by herself at a picnic table. She was on the phone, and looked like she was waiting for someone with a giant bucket of KFC chicken. I screamed "look out!" and "Fore!" a couple times, but she never heard me. The disc goes flying in and just takes out the bucket of chicken. Fried chicken parts go everywhere and the bucket lands empty on the ground. Completely shocked the lady just sits there and stares blankly at what was supposed to be her lunch....

from: "Funniest/weridest thing you've seen on the course" thread

Was playing Hanson Park in New Brighton with my wife, and 10 year old son and his friend. Friend was throwing RHBH, wife was standing about 10 feet to his back. He winds up and throws as hard as he can, but lets go WAAAAYYY to late, tags my wife in the forehead. Huge welt, split her skin with a midgrange disc (I think a kite). Got her some ice from the guys behind us with a cooler and she sat out the last 4 holes or so.

Had to listen to the guys with the coolers lecture my son and his friend about ettiquette and waiting for other people to be out of your way before throwing. Ignoring the multiple times I point out that he was being careful, and my wife was standing in an appropriate place, was just a horrible accident. however a disc thrown at close range like that hitting a skull sounds just like a good hard tree tag.

from: "Funniest/weridest thing you've seen on the course" thread

I see I got quoted :)

I have another, less devastating event.

We were playing at Blue Ribbon Pines the other day, and Luke finished up the hole, walked up to the basket to get his disc. The other person with us, Mike, picked up Luke's mini that he left on the ground. He thought Luke was watching as he put his disc in his bag, so he tossed his mini to him. Luke, completely oblivious looks up at the wrong time, and catches the mini with his face. Catching him right at the edge of his eye and splitting the skin open on his eyebrow. Keep in mind, a MINI drew blood.... from about 15 feet away.

Near Miss

I was waiting on the hole I was on to clear when I decided to change to a more overstable driver. I crouched down in front of my disc bag to make the switch and I see a disc headed in my general direction from the front. I rolled back into a sitting position just as the disc landed a couple feet from my disc bag, took one bounce and skidded into it. "Ohhh, got me right in the bag!", I yelled, thinking I was pretty lucky. As I stood up a teen aged girl comes running from around a short group of trees with eyes the size of minis. She's running straight for me and saying "I'm so sorry are you okay?" and she reaches her hands out like she's going to check MY bag. I had two fleeting thoughts, one you can probably guess and the other was a picture of her 9'3" boyfriend coming around the trees to see her checking my bag. I quickly informed her she hit my "DISC golf bag" and started laughing uncontrollably. She was a little embarrassed but got a good laugh out of it too.

I was waiting on the hole I was on to clear when I decided to change to a more overstable driver. I crouched down in front of my disc bag to make the switch and I see a disc headed in my general direction from the front. I rolled back into a sitting position just as the disc landed a couple feet from my disc bag, took one bounce and skidded into it. "Ohhh, got me right in the bag!", I yelled, thinking I was pretty lucky. As I stood up a teen aged girl comes running from around a short group of trees with eyes the size of minis. She's running straight for me and saying "I'm so sorry are you okay?" and she reaches her hands out like she's going to check MY bag. I had two fleeting thoughts, one you can probably guess and the other was a picture of her 9'3" boyfriend coming around the trees to see her checking my bag. I quickly informed her she hit my "DISC golf bag" and started laughing uncontrollably. She was a little embarrassed but got a good laugh out of it too.

Priceless :D :D :D

I see I got quoted :)

I have another, less devastating event.

We were playing at Blue Ribbon Pines the other day, and Luke finished up the hole, walked up to the basket to get his disc. The other person with us, Mike, picked up Luke's mini that he left on the ground. He thought Luke was watching as he put his disc in his bag, so he tossed his mini to him. Luke, completely oblivious looks up at the wrong time, and catches the mini with his face. Catching him right at the edge of his eye and splitting the skin open on his eyebrow. Keep in mind, a MINI drew blood.... from about 15 feet away.

Thanks for that story man. You told it really good to. I was cracking up in the computer chair. Just makes it funnier that the food is fried chicken.

Agreed! Priceless!

I'd let her check my bag. ;)

It is always funny when a guy get hit in the marbles, just watch Dodgeball: An Underdog Story.

last week 4 of us were playing at a local course, 3 of us had a little longer put than the 4th so we all went first and made it. the 4th guy was only about 5 feet away and was throwing his while one of the other guys was picking his disc out of the basket. needless to say player putting slipped and hit the other guy square in the junk. :)

One of my buddies went on a camping trip with his 2 Rottweilers and a few friends. They had been pooping in a hole in the ground the entire time. They pack up camp and cram into my buddie's Durango with the dogs to head home. About a half hour later cruising down the highway doing 70... one of the dogs throws up like 9 pounds of human fecal matter all over the inside of the Durango and the guys in the back seat. Instantly the guys in the back seat start throwing up and panicking for my buddy to pull over. At the same time the smell is so overwhelming that my friend; the driver sticks his head out the window and starts throwing up. He's swerving like a maniac down the highway with his head out the window like a dog just puking his brains out. His puke is going right into the face of the guy behind him with his head out the window throwing up too. People are honking and slowing down. He slams the brakes finally and skids out on to the shoulder where everyone piles out of the car and continues puking on the side of the road while stripping naked to get rid of the poop and puke covered clothes. My buddy is dry heaving for an extra hour on the side of the road trying to clean out his car with pond water and camping towels.

I know it's not a disc hitting story but I don't have one and I thought I would repay the laughs.

One of my buddies went on a camping trip with his 2 Rottweilers and a few friends. They had been pooping in a hole in the ground the entire time. They pack up camp and cram into my buddie's Durango with the dogs to head home. About a half hour later cruising down the highway doing 70... one of the dogs throws up like 9 pounds of human fecal matter all over the inside of the Durango and the guys in the back seat. Instantly the guys in the back seat start throwing up and panicking for my buddy to pull over. At the same time the smell is so overwhelming that my friend; the driver sticks his head out the window and starts throwing up. He's swerving like a maniac down the highway with his head out the window like a dog just puking his brains out. His puke is going right into the face of the guy behind him with his head out the window throwing up too. People are honking and slowing down. He slams the brakes finally and skids out on to the shoulder where everyone piles out of the car and continues puking on the side of the road while stripping naked to get rid of the poop and puke covered clothes. My buddy is dry heaving for an extra hour on the side of the road trying to clean out his car with pond water and camping towels.

I know it's not a disc hitting story but I don't have one and I thought I would repay the laughs.

Wow. I think I would just strip my clothes off, throw them in the car and light it all on fire. You are not getting that smell out. ;)

That's the most disgusting thing Ive heard in a while. You should post that in the "favorite places to eat" thread ;)

As for Neophyte, that movie is one of my fav's :)

Worst!

It was my second time to go play and went out with my brother and nephew who is 10. My nephew didn't have much of an arm or patience and went to go pick up his disc in front of me. I yell at him to watch out because I was about to throw. He acknowledged my warning and as soon as I let go of my disc he decided it was a great idea to turn around. It that moment he gets nailed in the back of the head/ear region and falls down. I thought I had killed him. But, he got up and didn't let me forget that I had hit him the rest of the day.

The KFC story is absolutely priceless. If it was just a basket full of sandwiches and chips it would not be as funny. KFC=comedy gold.