• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap Tee Signs

We did the designs in house. For 36 signs 8"x14", It cost us $900 to get our designs professionaly printed on vinal and applied to thick aluminim panels. That's $25 per sign. Not very expensive at all.

The secrect to the low cost is not using the "standard" sign sizes that the shops order pre-cut. Tell them you want a smaller size and ask if it'd be cheaper for them to cut the panels themselves from large sheets. Hopefully you'll get the same response we got and it cut our quote in half.
Not a bad price at all, and probably a fraction of the cost if you would have had them professionally designed.

...And of course glow stones will be imbedded in the concrete for night rounds.
sweet :thmbup: nice signs, too! UV-filtering plexiglass would help them look better for longer, or at least reduce color fade; 1/8" thick 12"x12" sheets are around $5 online.

without vandalism worries you could throw some inexpensive low-intensity solar deck lights above the signs and have an awesome permanent glow setup.

I started with Corel PaintShop Pro but it took a really long time to finish a sign and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Then I remembered how well Excel does graphics so I switched programs and made the tee sign shown in the op with Excel. It only took a couple of hours to complete and it looks a lot better than the original PSP version. It's not as nice as those made by graphic design artists but I think it's passable.

Another middle of the road (money wise) idea is to send it in to an online 'bumper sticker' company so that it's printed on vinyl with solvent based ink. Should last about 10 years or more but I would put it behind plexiglass to protect it from vandalism.

These are vinyl signs with sticky back and we stuck them over old corrugated plastic sign, then screwed into pvc stake or tree.

Attachments

• ccdgc11teesign2.jpg
    ccdgc11teesign2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ccdgc11teesign.jpg
    ccdgc11teesign.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 143
  • ccdgc3teesign.jpg
    ccdgc3teesign.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 86
If you can do the graphics yourself, you can usually find a sign company that'll do signs for around $20 - $30 each for something around 18"x12". That's really not too bad for very nice signs.

But...

If you want it really cheap and do the graphics yourself, you can get Staples to print and laminate them in 10 mil laminate (which is pretty ridiculously thick) for around $2.50 for each 8.5"x11" sign. I imagine it would fade much more quickly than the proper signs, but it's also about a tenth of the cost. This laminate is much thicker than you're average stuff, I was very surprised by it.

If you can do the graphics yourself, you can usually find a sign company that'll do signs for around $20 - $30 each for something around 18"x12". That's really not too bad for very nice signs.

But...

If you want it really cheap and do the graphics yourself, you can get Staples to print and laminate them in 10 mil laminate (which is pretty ridiculously thick) for around $2.50 for each 8.5"x11" sign. I imagine it would fade much more quickly than the proper signs, but it's also about a tenth of the cost. This laminate is much thicker than you're average stuff, I was very surprised by it.

Thanks JKS, those are great! Especially the 2nd one,'you don't have any pictures you have of the finished product?

Thanks JKS, those are great! Especially the 2nd one,'you don't have any pictures you have of the finished product?

I'll have to take some pictures. We did a preview tournament for a course we're putting in and had staples print up the same tee signs that we're having a sign company make later. It's regular ink on regular paper, the printing quality is top notch, it's really the heavy laminate that surprised me. The stack of ten signs is right at 1 cm thick (which makes since for 10 10mm signs).

Well, we didn't actually mount them as they were temporary. We used some metal things used for holding up yard signs. It worked fine for what we were doing, but you'd need to come up with some good way of mounting them to make them permanent.

A course that I've played in Wisconsin uses PVC to mount the tee signs:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=1877&p=4db601d7
The photo from hole 9 has a tee sign in it. I wasn't able to link directly to that picture.

4db601d7_m.jpg

Last edited:
We are looking for someone to do the graphics work for us down at City Park in New Orleans. We need 36 signs total and we have donated 12x18 metal sheets and poles ready. If we can find someone to do the graphic design work, we can add remove and replace sponsors without spending a ton of $$. Who has the skills and wants to work on this project? (We have some old sign files in adobe illustrator that could be re-vamped/updated to save some time.)

I realize this is 5 years after the original post, but I thought I'd throw in my tee signs for people who are still looking for cheap sign ideas. I used Google Earth actual satellite images for each hole with a little Photoshop to show the best route lines and baskets. My course has 2 basket locations for each hole and we switch them out about every month.
I used Open Office Drawing to make the signs and used a commercial copier with colorfast ink so they fade very little if at all. I laminated the photos and attached them to T-111 plywood.
Under a buck a sign and pretty good results. I have made numerous changes to holes and it's nice to just print and laminate a new sign.

I took the distances for the landmarks on the hole using a measuring wheel, then made the map using Excel. Everything on the map is made with standard Excel objects, textures and fonts.

I am currently trying to find help on what the best way to improve my local course would be. The only 3 things I think it needs is tee signs, properly sized tee pads and better markings to guide players from one hole to the next. If you don't mind me asking what is the proper way to gather accurate distances on dog legs that bend hard left or right?

I am currently trying to find help on what the best way to improve my local course would be. The only 3 things I think it needs is tee signs, properly sized tee pads and better markings to guide players from one hole to the next. If you don't mind me asking what is the proper way to gather accurate distances on dog legs that bend hard left or right?

IMO, you can either find a visual marker in the fairway to measure to from the pad and to the basket and list both distances on the map in small font. Say it is 250 ft to the tree then it heads left and is 125 ft from tree to basket. Or you could just the approx middle of the fairway and do the same thing. Go straight off the pad approx 250 ft and then it doglegs left and go another 125 ft to basket. If you want to do distance pad to basket then the old A (squared) + B (sq) = C (sq) will get you the distance as the crow flies.

As for guiding players to the next hole/tee area, I have seen little arrows cut from wood or plastic and hung on the underside of the cage pointing to the correct direction. Could also just use some colorful tape and tape the one spoke on the bottom of the cage that points in the right direction. Pretty cheap and easy with fluorescent duct tape. :thmbup:

Worked with the local sign shop in town and made some new signs for the Ella Sharp Park DGC. Was able to do the artwork myself with photoshop which cut down the cost and the sign company printed them on some nice uv protected vinyl for around $10-12 a sign. Havent faded a bit after close to a year being up.

Attaching the bad sign and the new sign for review. Whichever company made the first ones used Yards instead of Feet and each sign had 3-4 random arrows on it. Also missing course name and par/OB notes. Volunteered to help them out if they just covered the cost of materials from the sign company. These are approx 8-1/2 x 11 in size and stickered over the metal backing that held the original signs.

Attachments

• BadSign_Hole3.jpg
    BadSign_Hole3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 29
  • NewSign_Hole3.jpg
    NewSign_Hole3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 31
For anyone looking for something super cheap/temporary, I made a full set of 18 signs for about $50 for my private course. I set them up for open days/weekends and take them down afterwards.

-Bulk coroplast blanks from Amazon
-2 doz. garden stakes and some exterior screws from Home Depot
-pack of multi-color sharpies from Meijer
-2 to 3 hours of doodling

They turned out pretty ok in my opinion. People have mentioned them and seem to enjoy them, sometimes I've been asked if my daughters (4 and 6 years) drew them. So there's that...

attachment.php

Attachments

• TeeSigns-HRDGC.jpg
    TeeSigns-HRDGC.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts