• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Church DG Courses on the rise - Any takers?

I think it's great that churches are getting behind DG as a good way to minister to people, and in Houston churches aren't doing too badly for the most part. I'm looking forward to hitting the new church course by my parent's house in the spring.

The newest nine hole course in Houston is a church course at the Memorial Baptist Church. I have to say though, the course left a lot to be desired. Here's my review.

The lesson I learned from my review is this; if you knock a church course you're going to get a lot of **** for it. People are going to tell you to cut the church some slack because they're a church. It pisses me off because if a park's department put in a course as dangerous as the one Memorial BC put in then the DG community would be all up in arms.

As long as the courses are good, then who cares who puts them in.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm a student pastor at our church and love DG. we are about to put in a championship course on 75 acres we just bought. I can tell you why we are doing it. It gets people on our property that might not be there otherwise and we want show God's love to those people. We want to earn the right to minister to people who play DG. We are planning on hosting tourney's and giving away great player packs, amazing prizes, and hosting a free breakfast, lunch, and making drinks (water, powerade, etc) available every couple of holes for free. This is in the Memphis, Tn area and should be done in the next year. Hope to see you soon.

That is awesome and I wish you well. The Tourneys and free breakfasts are a great idea. I love the nine hole course we have in the Richmond area (Hanover Church) you should check the review. They have great tee/map markers that use the hole # to correspond with a Bible verse, its really cool and well done.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm a student pastor at our church and love DG. we are about to put in a championship course on 75 acres we just bought. I can tell you why we are doing it. It gets people on our property that might not be there otherwise and we want show God's love to those people. We want to earn the right to minister to people who play DG. We are planning on hosting tourney's and giving away great player packs, amazing prizes, and hosting a free breakfast, lunch, and making drinks (water, powerade, etc) available every couple of holes for free. This is in the Memphis, Tn area and should be done in the next year. Hope to see you soon.
That seems kinda slimey, and that shouldnt be the reason you build a course and if it is your a sleaze ball.

Dg is a good way for people of all different backgrounds(beliefs) to get together and enjoy one another and just be Dgers.

Hey guys and gals,

That seems kinda slimey, and that shouldnt be the reason you build a course and if it is your a sleaze ball.

Dg is a good way for people of all different backgrounds(beliefs) to get together and enjoy one another and just be Dgers.

Hey, Omega what is wrong with a church using a DG facility on THEIR property to reach out to people? They just might be able to help someone out who may not otherwise feel comfortable dealing with an issue that has deep meaning for them. What is wrong with that? They are making no pretense about trying to be nice to people. They are up front and honest.

There is nothing slimey about it! I suppose you would just like the church to shut up and go away. If you do not want to play a church course then don't. But do not knock someone who is trying to make a positive difference in other peoples lives.

Oh and by the way if someone wanted to play that believed in something else I'll bet they would be welcome.

Hey, Omega what is wrong with a church using a DG facility on THEIR property to reach out to people? They just might be able to help someone out who may not otherwise feel comfortable dealing with an issue that has deep meaning for them. What is wrong with that? They are making no pretense about trying to be nice to people. They are up front and honest.

There is nothing slimey about it! I suppose you would just like the church to shut up and go away. If you do not want to play a church course then don't. But do not knock someone who is trying to make a positive difference in other peoples lives.

Oh and by the way if someone wanted to play that believed in something else I'll bet they would be welcome.

I agree with Omega, I think that the whole statement was strange. everyone knows about the gospel, it's not like someone is going to walk on a course and hear about jesus for the first time. most these people who want to "reach out" to people in the community, do it not because they want to help. but because of some stange misguided belief that they are the only people on the planet who knows what happens when we die. so therefore we owe them some great privilege for showing us what heathens we are. you know what i say when someone tells me all the secrets and mysteries of the universe are in a book? i say bullcrap, i shalleth not believeth it.

Most church courses I've seen aren't all that great in terms of challenge or amenities. Some churches though do have retreat camps tucked away in the boonies with some better courses.

Something for youth/families to do is exactly what these courses are built for. If they help get some people introduced to the game, and bring a more diverse group of players to our public courses who can do without some of the seedier aspects of our sport, they're doing a valuable service for the game.
A perfect example is Camp Sanctuary DG in Texas. It isn't reviewed but it says Heavily wooded with good elevation for Texas.

I agree with Omega, I think that the whole statement was strange. everyone knows about the gospel, it's not like someone is going to walk on a course and hear about jesus for the first time. most these people who want to "reach out" to people in the community, do it not because they want to help. but because of some stange misguided belief that they are the only people on the planet who knows what happens when we die. so therefore we owe them some great privilege for showing us what heathens we are. you know what i say when someone tells me all the secrets and mysteries of the universe are in a book? i say bullcrap, i shalleth not believeth it.

Funny thing is......no one is thinking you owe them anything. They are building a course and inviting you to play. If you don't want to talk to them about Christianity, then don't. The course is for what he believes is the greater good. Oh, and i believe that too. Just get over yourself for a minute and realize that some people are interested in hearing the Gospel. They aren't trying to force it down your throat. Just throw some discs, and enjoy the land they are providing. And by the way, you are WRONG about everyone knowing the gospel. I grew up in a devout catholic family and i didn't know about it until i was almost out of high school. I don't think this thread was designed for a theological debate, so just relax.....

Funny thing is......no one is thinking you owe them anything. They are building a course and inviting you to play. If you don't want to talk to them about Christianity, then don't. The course is for what he believes is the greater good. Oh, and i believe that too. Just get over yourself for a minute and realize that some people are interested in hearing the Gospel. They aren't trying to force it down your throat. Just throw some discs, and enjoy the land they are providing. And by the way, you are WRONG about everyone knowing the gospel. I grew up in a devout catholic family and i didn't know about it until i was almost out of high school. I don't think this thread was designed for a theological debate, so just relax.....

whoa there pal, talk about relax. and how do you grow up in a catholic family and not know. i grew up in a strong christian family, and that was a part of being a christian, knowing about the gospel of christ. so i'm confused there. and lots of land is provided for disc, why is it that when a church does it is considered this amazing show of "the greater good" when 1000's of people in our country have been doing it for years yet i see very little commending any of those people on here.

then you haven't read enough posts.........people talk about how other courses have great designs and commend them all over this site. I'm just saying that they aren't looking for commendations on anything. And the greater good is not only for the gospel, but to get people to enjoy the outdoors. And I went to church off and on with the family, but didn't really know what it meant. Didn't pay attention or care at all until my eyes were opened to the truth.

for sure man, and thats all i was trying to say. No one is trying to force it. Just ching some chains ya know! Man I love that sound even when I just think about it! :)

Relax dude. If you don't like it, then don't play their course.

It is a great way to get together and if people want to talk about what they believe in while they play then it's their perrogative. Warning: People might have spiritual discussions at a park where you're playing too so watch out. :rolleyes:

He is another take on it. For hundreds of years, the Church was always the center of the community. In small towns especially, and years ago, the Church was the main building in town. It was a place of peace, and comfort, and was very important to the people in the town. When most towns were built, the Church was one of the first buildings to be built.

The Church has always been an important part of the community or neighborhood. Usually when there is a fire, or disaster in the neighborhood, the Church reaches out to help out, with food, clothing, and hope. I remember after the hurricane, my Church, collected clothes and food to send out to the people that needed help. We also bused people in to serve them a good meal, and give them some clothes and other things they needed.

That being said, most Church buildings sit on alot of unused extra land, and by them putting in a Disc Golf course, and invite the community to come play, I think is quite generous. I think some Churches do it to let people know that they are part of the community and not some exclusive club. They could say its off limits to anyone but members, but they don't. They say that everyone is welcome.

I have played many Church courses, and when I have seen members, or they have driven by, they usually wave, or say , "Welcome" when they see me. I have never been preached to, and I haven't heard of anyone that had been. I think that some people might be interested in a Church, but might feel uneasy about coming, or that they might not be welcome, and the disc golf course to me seems like a nice "ice breaker" that says "Everyone is welcome here".

Another thing that I find interesting is there is a really great disc golf course here in the Houston area, that is in a really nice neighborhood, and they Homeowners Assoc. has said that if you don't live in the neighborhood, you are not welcome on their course, and they threaten to tow your car. On the flip side, you can play a Church course, on private property, and they say that everyone is welcome to come and play, if you are a member or not.

Now that being said, which course would you rather play? One were you are threatened if you are caught out there, or one where you are welcome with open arms? Who would you trust in an emergency situation? If you are so scared to death that you might get preached to, and someone might be a little concerned about you and your soul, that I feel sorry for you. If your home burned down, who do you think would be there to help you with food and clothes, and make sure you and your family are OK? You Home Owners Asso. , or the local Church?

In closing, be happy in the fact that more disc golf courses are being installed. The more places we can play the better. I think the fact that these Churches are willing to spend their own money, (remember, the money in a Church , comes from the members) to put in a course for the community is commendable. You should thank them if you ever see them out there.

He is another take on it. For hundreds of years, the Church was always the center of the community. In small towns especially, and years ago, the Church was the main building in town. It was a place of peace, and comfort, and was very important to the people in the town. When most towns were built, the Church was one of the first buildings to be built.

The Church has always been an important part of the community or neighborhood. Usually when there is a fire, or disaster in the neighborhood, the Church reaches out to help out, with food, clothing, and hope. I remember after the hurricane, my Church, collected clothes and food to send out to the people that needed help. We also bused people in to serve them a good meal, and give them some clothes and other things they needed.

That being said, most Church buildings sit on alot of unused extra land, and by them putting in a Disc Golf course, and invite the community to come play, I think is quite generous. I think some Churches do it to let people know that they are part of the community and not some exclusive club. They could say its off limits to anyone but members, but they don't. They say that everyone is welcome.

I have played many Church courses, and when I have seen members, or they have driven by, they usually wave, or say , "Welcome" when they see me. I have never been preached to, and I haven't heard of anyone that had been. I think that some people might be interested in a Church, but might feel uneasy about coming, or that they might not be welcome, and the disc golf course to me seems like a nice "ice breaker" that says "Everyone is welcome here".

Another thing that I find interesting is there is a really great disc golf course here in the Houston area, that is in a really nice neighborhood, and they Homeowners Assoc. has said that if you don't live in the neighborhood, you are not welcome on their course, and they threaten to tow your car. On the flip side, you can play a Church course, on private property, and they say that everyone is welcome to come and play, if you are a member or not.

Now that being said, which course would you rather play? One were you are threatened if you are caught out there, or one where you are welcome with open arms? Who would you trust in an emergency situation? If you are so scared to death that you might get preached to, and someone might be a little concerned about you and your soul, that I feel sorry for you. If your home burned down, who do you think would be there to help you with food and clothes, and make sure you and your family are OK? You Home Owners Asso. , or the local Church?

In closing, be happy in the fact that more disc golf courses are being installed. The more places we can play the better. I think the fact that these Churches are willing to spend their own money, (remember, the money in a Church , comes from the members) to put in a course for the community is commendable. You should thank them if you ever see them out there.
I have driven by many a church and thought "hey, that is perfect land for a 9 hole course". most around here would be decently wooded and well manicured since it is church property. I have lived in the south for almost 40 years and have never had anyone come up and pressure me to go to church with them or been talked down to. But that's just my experience. I have come to the conclusion that the Bible is talking about things that were actually happening and that we have messed up some of the stories/word meanings. Is it that surprising that we (human beings) could actually screw something up and corrupt it? Not to me and I don't blame the Bible for it. We have screwed up and corrupted a lot of things. :(

If you build it, they will come??

Midnight makes some very good points about churches historically being the heart of communities, and that this is one way they can still reach out to the neighboring community to remain an integral part of it. It is, after all their property, and I think it's great that they welcome all...as long as they don't push ther own agenda - because to me, that's not very welcoming. I've never experienced it on a DG course, but personally, I don't like being proselytized (i.e. recruited into a religion).

That being said, there's some truth to what Omega says, because Sdervan's post seems to have a not so hidden agenda. I don't see why some people feel the need to get others to believe and follow what they believe and follow. I have my own religious beliefs, whatever they are, and I'm perfectly content to let others have their's whatever they may be (as long as it does no harm to others).

If they are willing to let people play, without coercing, cajolling, or otherwise trying influence people to join their congregation, I'm all for it. But the minute you start pushing an agenda, whether through a soft sell or hard recruiting tacticsl, I'd have to say Omega's justified in calling it "slimey."

I think it's better for people decide for themselves, on their own, without anyone trying to indoctrinate them.

Will a disc fly futher from the hand of someone that's been saved?
Not sure about that, but didn't Brother Dave claim that it's the invisible hand of God that gets discs to turn? If so, I'm guessing you get some wicked S-curves and doglegs on these church courses!;)

I have driven by many a church and thought "hey, that is perfect land for a 9 hole course". most around here would be decently wooded and well manicured since it is church property. I have lived in the south for almost 40 years and have never had anyone come up and pressure me to go to church with them or been talked down to. But that's just my experience. I have come to the conclusion that the Bible is talking about things that were actually happening and that we have messed up some of the stories/word meanings. Is it that surprising that we (human beings) could actually screw something up and corrupt it? Not to me and I don't blame the Bible for it. We have screwed up and corrupted a lot of things. :(
Agreed!

Last edited:
Church DG

Now that we've got religion all figured out let's talk politics and abortion, and see how fired up we can get everybody. When those two are solved we can move on to nuclear disarmament, black holes and the meaning of life.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Ahhh I was going to get into a lot with religion and different beliefs but forget it.

Im just going to say, I would support anyone wanting to put a course up, even a church. If they pushed the issue too much, I wouldnt go, but a little bit of a reach out is perfectly fine.

That being said, there's some truth to what Omega says, because Sdervan's post seems to have a not so hidden agenda. I don't see why some people feel the need to get others to believe and follow what they believe and follow. I have my own religious beliefs, whatever they are, and I'm perfectly content to let others have their's whatever they may be (as long as it does no harm to others).
Do people not talk anymore when they play??? If you play with someone who spiritual stuff is important too then it will probably come up at some point. Not becasue they're trying to convert you, but because you're talking. We all talk about disc golf and I think if two people who went to the same church also played disc golf they would probably talk about disc golf while at church. It's just talking people. It's like listening to talk radio, when you don't like it you can change the channel.

Latest posts