• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

5 days in and I already picked up my second comet... this time it's a 173g big z less dome then my x. Got it new for $10. Couldn't pass it up

Comets are great for form work. Not currently bagging one and just sold off a couple but I still have 7 of them. Which reminds me, I should probably do some Comet field work this evening.

New comet owner.

I started playing disc golf this summer and I mainly throw putters and sometimes mids. My local course is short so I focus on upshot and putting for now.

I was buying a few things on amazon and I decided to buy a couple of cheap discraft discs, a Pro D Banger GT, a Z Buzzz and a X Comet. Today I went to do some field practice with my Kastaplast Reko, the Banger GT and the Comet. That comet was coming so clean and going straight at where I was aiming. A lot better than with my Reko and to a lesser degree the Banger. I think I might throw putters too nose down sometimes because when I move my thumb back closer to the center with the Reko, I have less or no wobbling but not as consistent as the Banger GT, maybe the shape of it and the Thumbtrack helps me to get a better angle for it. The comet I can throw it more nose down and it flies so good. There is surely other reasons, hard to auto evaluate my bad form, consistency and good timing comes with practice I guess.

So long story short, I bought a Comet and I love it. It's the disc that gives me the best results so far since I started playing. I'll buy a couple more Comets to try it in other plastics.

Not yet a Comet thrower myself, but from what I understand if it is flying well for you, your form is good. Just keep on throwing.

Thanks for the info slowplastic.
I suppose I mean full distance midrange shots ~ 250-300ft+
I'd like to learn to throw controlled bh turnovers rather than flicking a driver, sounds like the comet could work.

What is shorter distance for you?

I'd say no, use an understable putter. Comet is ideal for shorter distance floaty shots, whereas a putter is smaller diameter so it drops more.

You still need a bit of velocity for it to turn, so if you're wanting to do that under say 200' then flippy putter, even with a beat Comet.

Comets will hold an anny at short ranges though and with more float than a putter.
I'd like to learn to throw controlled bh turnovers rather than flicking a driver, sounds like the comet could work.

Yes, at that range a flatter Comet should work well/perfect. My X with shoulder/dome to it was 0/1 stable new and after 2 years I can finally have it drift right a bit from a flat release. Before that it would hold an anny to the ground but you definitely had to throw it with a touch of angle. Keep in mind my courses are pretty grassy, so only trees to beat in discs much.

I've thrown fresh flatter ones that have that -1 turn to it from the start. So look for a little flatter shape if you want a turnover Comet.

Basically expect a putter shot +30' or so at the same power/technique if you are throwing mids 300+. In tailwind or downhill they will fly like a putter but with an unpredictable amount of additional distance, in a good way.

If you could only pair one other mid with your comet what would it be? I'm minimizing my bag setup to truly learn a few discs and I'm going down to 2 mids one of them being the comet.
For me the other mid is usually a Vector (essentially a Roc), sometimes a Star Shark or King Cobra. In the past, and possibly the future now that I have a new one, I have used a Resistor instead of a mid.

Ordered the prettiest swirly orange ESP Comet from Marshall Street the other day. Got one that's camouflage instead. Hoping to get it cleared up tomorrow. The orange one that showed in my cart was the prettiest swirly ESP disc I've seen.

Re. the five major production versions of the Comet (Z, Big Z, X, ESP, and Titanium):

1. How would you rank them re. stability (most to least)?

2. How would you rank them re. grip (most to least)?

Thanks in advance.

Ordered the prettiest swirly orange ESP Comet from Marshall Street the other day. Got one that's camouflage instead. Hoping to get it cleared up tomorrow. The orange one that showed in my cart was the prettiest swirly ESP disc I've seen.
How did it fly? Was it as stable as swirl glo comet?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 7 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Re. the five major production versions of the Comet (Z, Big Z, X, ESP, and Titanium):

1. How would you rank them re. stability (most to least)?

2. How would you rank them re. grip (most to least)?

Thanks in advance.

My rankings, below, are for the latest runs of each of these plastics. The stability of some plastics vary from run to run. For instance, the previous run of ESP Comets were less overstable than the current run.
I have thrown dozens of some of these plastics, and only 1 or 2 of others, so my sample size is small for some plastics. People with more throwing experience might/probably will disagree with the order.

From most overstable to least:

1. Elite Z
2. ESP
3. Big Z
4. Elite X
5. Titanium

Grip, from most to least:

1. Elite X
2. ESP
3. Titanium
4. Big Z
5. Elite Z

So the new run Ti Comets are flippy?

I would not categorize any of the new runs of plastics to be flippy in general.

In my experience, the new run of Titaniums are not as high speed stable as the previous Ledgestone Edition Titaniums. Michael Johansen confirmed this in his thread a while back.

From what I have thrown of them, they are flippier than the original ledgestone Ti comets, but aren't what I would call super understable. Seem like good, solid comets

He also said that

The new plastic seems grippier than the old Ti

I, however, find that when throwing the Titanium plastic, it seems to have a bit of this weird slipperiness, even when it may feel grippy just holding it, if that makes sense. Any slipperiness would most likely wear off quickly though. I just haven't given them a chance to do that.

Anyways, it is my view that the new Ti's have a bit more turn than the other newer runs of plastics, but nowhere near the turn of the previous run of ESP.

The new Ti's are definitely more flippy. The ESP-glo's are absolute money for being the most stable comet.

Interesting...I wonder if they tweaked the blend or something. I still need to break out my ESP-Glo's. My seasoned domey Z and fresh domey Z are just too good of a combo.

Love the flight of my domey elite z comet but the stiffness/lack of grip on the plastic is rough in the winter.

Anything out there with similar flight but better grip? Big z?

Love the flight of my domey elite z comet but the stiffness/lack of grip on the plastic is rough in the winter.

Anything out there with similar flight but better grip? Big z?
X! GET A DOMEY X COMET!

My main Comet is a Big Z. It's just between Z and ESP someplace on the grip. I don't think you really get any significant grip improvement unless you go all the way to X.

Last edited:

Latest posts