• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I still have/ throw the original X Comet that got me hooked on Comets 15 years ago. I threw it Wednesday on a 345' downhill slight dogleg right hole. It was the perfect disc for the hole. Also threw it on a 200' uphill shot where I needed a disc to quickly flatten out from a hyzer release. Again, perfect disc for the shot. Third shot I chose a it for was a low ceiling hyzer to an LZ 250' away. It held the soft hyzer the entire distance despite being very broken-in. I birdied all three holes I used it on. Still a great disc, still in love with it :)

Here is my first Comet I ever bought. I'm estimating it was 2002 when I bought it. This is the Comet I described in the post above. This is the disc that took me away from my torque monkey ways and taught me to finesse my way down the fairway. I have no idea how many hundreds of rounds this has seen. It doesn't get used for tons of shots but if there are thick woods involved, then this disc is a candidate. Absolutely love this disc and it is the #2 most prized disc in all my collection. Such a great disc.
x-comet-first.jpg

And here is my most-prized disc in all my collection. My first run LE ESP Comet. This has even more throws than the Elite X Comet pictured above despite being bought 6 years later (I bought it 12 January 2008). This is mostly because it is domier and therefore more inherently stable and glidier than the X. They both have their place but this ESP gets called on more often than the Z. The scar that tickles the shadows at the 2:30 position in the photo is from hole 2 at Charlotte's Renaissance Gold course. I still remember trying to pure the tunnel but catching the big tree instead. The piece of plastic hanging off at the 2:00 position I got from a street sign when I was practicing in a field at work. I have never taken off the dangler even though I have to remove grass from it every time it lands in a field. I love this disc. It's easily my #1 most prized disc in my collection.
esp-comet-first-run-first-purchase.jpg

Long live the Comet!!!

Here is my first Comet I ever bought. I'm estimating it was 2002 when I bought it. This is the Comet I described in the post above. This is the disc that took me away from my torque monkey ways and taught me to finesse my way down the fairway. I have no idea how many hundreds of rounds this has seen. It doesn't get used for tons of shots but if there are thick woods involved, then this disc is a candidate. Absolutely love this disc and it is the #2 most prized disc in all my collection. Such a great disc.
x-comet-first.jpg

Long live the Comet!!!

These are my absolute favorite Comet throwers. I have an orange one that flies perfectly. When they switched the stamp on the X Comet, I bought a new one, and it's a huge turd. I'm guessing I got one of the non-domey ones.

Can we all share? THREAD DRIFT!!!

This isn't my first Comet; I know my first Comet was dark purple and I lost it. Right on the edge of the fairway just barely in the shule. Looked for the damn thing for 30 minutes. :\

This was THE Comet, though:

picture.php

Tournament Pro plastic, got it in 1997. I remember cleaning the persistent layer of black crud off of it to take a picture and being surprised how nice it looked. I got it right about the time O Rocs started disappearing and I switched to Comets, it was my go-to until I moved to Chicago and gave up Comets because of all the wind. That was dumb, but whatever.

Not that it helps ranger figure out that he's going to ignore my advice and get an ESP or Big Z Comet, but I had a picture!

MJ swirl Glo has very good grip. X is too grippy anyway

Man I love my swirl glow comets but if that is what discraft throwers think good grip is.....geez. Discraft makes good solid plastic but aside from baseline it is all slick as hell. Go feel some Prodigy 400 or 400g

Has anybody noticed how wide the Comet is? I was looking through a bin yesterday and noticed that it stood a centimeter taller than all the other mids in the bin.

This is my first Comet, and was also the first disc I ever bought back in 1996. I finally retired it sometime around 2010 and put it on a wall. I believe it was also tourney pro plastic. I will throw any Comet in any plastic, I don't really care. I do love the swirly glo MJ's right now, though.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20181102_092526.jpg
    thumbnail_20181102_092526.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 45
Has anybody noticed how wide the Comet is? I was looking through a bin yesterday and noticed that it stood a centimeter taller than all the other mids in the bin.
Yeah, it has a slightly larger diameter than a Roc. It probably helps contribute to the glide.

x plastic isn't that bad. d plastic can often be compared to wax though. I've had an x comet for quite a few years, and got it used, and it's still a good thrower.

Ugh. I was thinking of the d plastic. You guys are correct

Man I love my swirl glow comets but if that is what discraft throwers think good grip is.....geez. Discraft makes good solid plastic but aside from baseline it is all slick as hell. Go feel some Prodigy 400 or 400g

Total agreement. Discraft plastic is such major reason why I don't bag more of their discs.

The grip on my swirl glows is so bad I'll probably end up selling them. Hate it.

It's the lid of midranges

*Noill if you say the Condor is...I will kick you in the shins.

Total agreement. Discraft plastic is such major reason why I don't bag more of their discs.

The grip on my swirl glows is so bad I'll probably end up selling them. Hate it.

Unfortunately I agree on the swirl glo ESP. I have 2 of the Wasps and sold the MJ Comet I had. I have a couple 2018 swirly ESP (not glo) that are a touch less firm that have better grip than the glo.

This isn't my first Comet; I know my first Comet was dark purple and I lost it. Right on the edge of the fairway just barely in the shule. Looked for the damn thing for 30 minutes. :\

This was THE Comet, though:

Tournament Pro plastic, got it in 1997. I remember cleaning the persistent layer of black crud off of it to take a picture and being surprised how nice it looked. I got it right about the time O Rocs started disappearing and I switched to Comets, it was my go-to until I moved to Chicago and gave up Comets because of all the wind. That was dumb, but whatever.

Not that it helps ranger figure out that he's going to ignore my advice and get an ESP or Big Z Comet, but I had a picture!

I threw a green Z Great Lakes Comet I found for a while while I was trying to find out who the owner was. After I returned their disc, I bought the orange Elite X Comet here. Had to get the rest of the family together for the picture, of course!

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_163741722.jpg
    IMG_20181102_163741722.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts