• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses With Manicured Turf

air show

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Manicured turf is one aspect all my favorite courses have in common. Playing on beautifully cut grass is such wonderful thing.

Here is a list of my favorite manicured courses:

Edmundson Park, Oskaloosa,IA
Ewing Park, Des Moines, IA
Maytag Park, Newton,IA
Franklin Park, Belle Plaine, IA
Sioux Passage Original, St Louis, MO
Branson Cedars Resort Treehouz DGC, Ridgedale, MO

I can show up anytime of the year and know these courses will be manicured. If you know of any other courses with beautiful turf please list them. I will go out of my way to play them.

Of all the states I have played Iowa is top dog when it come to manicured turf. I have a saying every time I go there-

"Iowa mows me away "

Middle Creek in Cary, NC is manicured. Since it is in NC, it is a mostly wooded course - BUT, the park district is constantly dumping and spreading mulch on the fairways, and the few open holes with grass are mowed on a regular basis as a part of park maintenance.

Blue Lake in Fairview Oregon.
Milo McIver is Estacada Oregon (except for a few of the muddier weeks of the year, when they can't mow).

Hard to grow much grass in the forest. All these pesky tree seem to suck the sunshine off, before it has much chance to hit the ground. :p ;)

I wouldn't call it "manicured" but Turkey Hill MD is the best I've played. Nice mowed grass when not in the woods, good tee pads, benches, trash cans, bridges, signage. They spent a lot of money putting this course in.

Middle Creek in Cary, NC is manicured. Since it is in NC, it is a mostly wooded course - BUT, the park district is constantly dumping and spreading mulch on the fairways, and the few open holes with grass are mowed on a regular basis as a part of park maintenance.

Yeah but it is Middle Creek. Don't get me wrong I like MC well enough but the OP is from the Midwest. There is no way he should travel from there to play Middle Creek. There are many better options for manicured fairway in NC. Cedar Rock Park in Burlington, Catawba Meadows in Morganton, Patriot DGC in Kernersville, and Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro are some of my favorite courses with well maintained fairways.

Burchfield Pk (Devils Den course) near Lansing, MI has well maintained cut grass. I probably mentioned it in my review.

Memorial Park in Frankenmuth, MI is wonderfully maintained by the parks crew. Since it is a city park the crews are there mowing frequently during the summer months. The mowers are even respectful of the disc golfers, waiting until you clear the area before moving in with the mowers. At least that has been my experience there.

Little Mulberry Park near Buford, GA is a technical/wooded course for 17 of its 18 holes, but the fairways in a number of the holes is grass. On some of the holes the grass is doing well, but on some it's not doing so well.

Alexander Park is a mixture of open/wooded holes. It's not outright manicured, but they do a great job keeping the grass cut on the open holes, and if they're cutting while people are playing, they'll take routes that give the players leeway.

the majority of courses in so cal. La mirada is a great manicured course.

My home course, Oak Meadow, used to get 40+ mowings a year when I first started playing. Now we only get around 17. Makes a big difference in the overall enjoyment of playing.

La mirada is a great manicured course.

I'll second this for sure. Also Warwick in NY (the holes not in the woods) is a very well maintained cut grass course. I've been there several times while the mowing is taking place.

It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but Sabattus Disc Golf in Maine is the closest thing I've ever seen to a disc golf country club. It was meticulously maintained...they must have a full time grounds keeper.

Yeah but it is Middle Creek. Don't get me wrong I like MC well enough but the OP is from the Midwest. There is no way he should travel from there to play Middle Creek. There are many better options for manicured fairway in NC. Cedar Rock Park in Burlington, Catawba Meadows in Morganton, Patriot DGC in Kernersville, and Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro are some of my favorite courses with well maintained fairways.

I have played Catawba and Cedar Rock, but both during the late fall/winter, so can't really comment on whether or not they are manicured. They are open. Sure - it's Middle Creek, but weekly mowings and mulching the fairways several times a year, all done by city employess, defines manicured for me. Personally, I wouldn't travel specifically to play a DG course, and if I were road-tripping, I'd hit up the great courses in Charlotte (or Castle Hayne) - none that I would call manicured, but many which I would rate 4 or better.

Big Eau Pleine south of Wausau WI has always struck me as the most pristine course with that much grass.

Hard to grow much grass in the forest. All these pesky tree seem to suck the sunshine off, before it has much chance to hit the ground. :p ;)

One thing I get comments on from disc golfers and non disc golfers alike is how nice the grass looks through the woods on Bald Eagle. The pictures on the course page are all pre-grass, now days the fairways are well manicured - get off the fairway and you'll be telling a different story. Golden eagle is getting there as well.

Grass does inevitably need to be cut. That being said any course that looks "manicured" as opposed to simply maintained is a HUGE turnoff for me.

I'm into rough courses with a very real element of environmental hostility. So regardless of a course's actual difficulty level being manicured gives it a wimp aesthetic.

Grass does inevitably need to be cut. That being said any course that looks "manicured" as opposed to simply maintained is a HUGE turnoff for me.

I'm into rough courses with a very real element of environmental hostility. So regardless of a course's actual difficulty level being manicured gives it a wimp aesthetic.

What if the fairways/greens are nicely manicured with extremely harsh rough areas? That would seem to me to make the most technical disc golf.

What if the fairways/greens are nicely manicured with extremely harsh rough areas? That would seem to me to make the most technical disc golf.

That's an alright start on a compromise but anything "nicely manicured" just isn't going to appeal to my personal preferences. I'm glad there is variety in disc golf I just don't enjoy all of the variety.

Latest posts