• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

Adidas Sambas. Used them all summer long and no sign of wear. Nice hard sole especially the pivot point on the ball of the foot. The heel is very nice for hills etc, nice grabby surface.

samba.jpg

Those look like they would loose traction walking on mud or wet surfaces.

Those look like they would loose traction walking on mud or wet surfaces.

not really, the heel ridges are deeper than you think. If it's really muddy I use Alpine Design boots, but usually it's gotta be pretty muddy for me to bring out the boots. I just can't stand using boots when I throw, I don't feel light on my feet and it hinders distance. I'll try to find a closeup of the bottoms

This first one is showing what wear it has(n't) incurred yet this year, next to my old discing shoes (skate shoes)

vpw5kk.jpg

close up of the heel.
eg1zqr.jpg

Yea, I guess they would grip. It does seem weird that the whole bottom of the shoe does not have the same pattern.

Adidas Sambas. Used them all summer long and no sign of wear. Nice hard sole especially the pivot point on the ball of the foot. The heel is very nice for hills etc, nice grabby surface.

samba.jpg

That's what my gf plays in when the weather is nice and the ground isn't wet, she swears by them.

So I received my pair of Merrell Moab Gore-tex XCR's(wide) and took them for a test drive, I must say not the most comfortable, but then again there's usually that new shoe period of getting used to the feel. A few things I noticed are I could have gone probably a half size down since they did seem to have a lot of room after my toes(hopefully I have a little growing left in me). I tried 1 size below to test them and they fit, but weren't going to be comfortably roomy(a little too close to the toes) Also noticed they are no where near the same as the ventilators! I tried a pair of the vents on before I had Rogans shoes tell the west side to hold a pair in my size and they were SOOO Soft! But I wanted the gore-tex for waterproofness. Hopefully these hold up for a couple years, I don't want to have to get rid of them and have the 'rents not so happy about having payed so much...

As for off the tee pad(concrete) they definitely weren't too grippy or slippery. Probably going out again tomorrow to add a bit more testing and hopefully I grow to love them a lot more. If they just end up as another pair of shoes at least the vibram out sole should last.

Add an insert for that toe room. I made the same mistake with my pair of waterpros, not realizing the space socks take up. I added a rubber insole.

Add an insert for that toe room. I made the same mistake with my pair of waterpros, not realizing the space socks take up. I added a rubber insole.

Thanks for the tip, when I first started DG man my feet hurt...not a ton, but enough. I still have yet to get some DR Scholls inserts that my friend suggested back then.

Here's ratings of my merrells.
Waterpro: Great for those that don't do sandals.It's made to get wet so in the mesh areas it's just one layer of mesh. Great for water hazard courses. Obviously a seasonal shoe. Not alot of grip(for a merrel/vibram)so it won't hold mudd. Awesome on the tee on a dry or wet day. It uses pods under the ball that spin nicely.Better for average to slightly narrow feet.
Chameleon (sandal): super light. Nice pull lacing. Chameleons in any style are gonna be lightweight. Decent hex style grips provide a great balance of spin/grip. Best for average to slightly wide feet.
Riot: breathable. Really cool looking. More of a everyday shoe. Grip and spin are balanced but at a low level. Best for average feet.
Intercept: great fall shoe. The heaviest of the bunch but aslo the warmest. Great low key pod with notch hiking style grip are great for newer, stubby courses while the pods and overall width of the shoe provide good spin. Best for slightly wide to wide feet.
Side step: my favorite. I like how the heel sits a lil higher. Breathability would be inbetween intercept and a chameleon shoe, so like a "normal" running shoe. Grips a lil chuncky but the ball of the foot spins great- though the little cushion hex wears a bit. Best for slighty wide feet.

I had some keens but traded them away due to that goofy tie box (sorry to those offended...kinda.....not really).
Yes I'm a disc and shoe slore.

I just got a pair of Keen Targhee II mids for disc golf two months ago and I really like them. I also have a set of Keen Newport sandals and my feet seem to really like Keen shoes. The Targhee II is also available in a low top. They are light, waterproof and very supportive. So far they seem to be wearing well. The course I play most often has concrete tee pads and several creeks / drainage ditches providing frequent opportunity to scale a bank to retrieve a stray disc. The shoes do the job nicely.

I have some kind of Columbia light hiking shoe. It's coming apart at the seams...gonna be the second time I've had to get it mended. Is this a common problem, or just an indication that it's not that great of a product?

I just bought a cheaper pair of Hi Tec Tiagos from Sports Authority. Pretty good sale on them and they were comfortable and seemed to have a lot of traction. Need to take them out and see how they work for me.

Boombah Is having a great sale on turf/trail shoes....I wear them every time i play and i do not slip on any drive off natural tees. Check them out at

www.boombah.com

huge sale on Mesh II (2 pairs for $30.00) even if this is not your style check out there trail shoes as well.

i also wear them when i play softball and no traction is lost running the bases either...Great shoe!!

I wear a pair of waterproof Merrills, it says Pantheon on the tag and vibram on the bottom. I stuck the inserts from my nike frees in there and they feel really good now. Good on concrete pads unless their really new, espically if the top of the pads has that rake scrapped over the top effect. great for carpet and dirt.

I just bought a cheaper pair of Hi Tec Tiagos from Sports Authority. Pretty good sale on them and they were comfortable and seemed to have a lot of traction. Need to take them out and see how they work for me.

Hell yea! I have been wearing Hi-Tec for two years now, and I love them. I have water proof for winter and rain, and vented one's for those hot, dry , summer days.

Merrell, New Balance, and Keen all seem to be getting a lot of props on this thread. I endorse those three brands wholeheartedly, especially Keens, which run wide, and New Balance, which goes the extra mile with width selection. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Merrell Moab Venilators (yes me too), and although the tongues are on the thick side and rub my instep from time to time, they're otherwise very comfortable, seem to be quite durable, and it has been a total pleasure to play DG in them. I got 'em at REI for $85, and I think the Gore-Tex model runs about $20 more. In wet weather I'll wear my Gore-Tex hiking boots.

And as a former REI employee and current co-op member, I recommend you shop for shoes at REI. They sell all three brands, as well as a number of other high quality brands, and the return policy is second to none. Who else guarantees your satisfaction for life? Let me repeat that: there is no time limit on their return policy, even for shoes. If you buy a pair and 5 months later they fall apart even though they shouldn't, they'll still take 'em back and refund your money.

Keen Trailhead Milo...are they worth 110 bucks?

I usually get NewBalances for about 50-60 and like em alot, but they are not cool when it's wet.

Are the Keens super comfy? I used to think other brands were comfy until I started on NB. Nothing has come close in comfort since.

Yeah I've got a pair of the Moab ventilators on at the moment while practice putting and posting. All three brands Lewis mentions are good quality. After having abused my feet wearing low end shoes and playing soccer I can testify that higher end shoes are worth the investment. You will usually get better footing, comfort and wear from the better brands. I used to suffer from toe wear until I took heart to the Master Beato flicks and started lifting my back leg. It helped my game too!

I shred through New Balances like they were made from styrofoam.

Latest posts