• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point within the teeing area, and all supporting points must be within the teeing area. A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support. The player is allowed to have a supporting point outside the teeing area before or after, but not at, the moment the disc is released.

Um, this isn't clear enough to me. If I put on my lawyer hat, support has a definition but the phrase: in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support, does not require that it be supporting your foot/body, bubkus etc. It reads to me that the surface has to be capable of support, but not that it is supporting, just in contact with.

Ten, the number of pages it will take to make this clear to me.

I'll give it a shot.

Two definitions/rules come into play when discussing what makes a throw legal.

Playing Surface: The playing surface is a surface, generally the ground, which is capable of supporting the player and on which a stance can reasonably be taken. So this is the ground, a bridge, a very large rock, maybe even a very large tree stump or trunk on the ground.

Supporting Point: A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support. This is broken into two parts. (1) Anything that's touching the playing surface - your foot, knee, butt, hand, one finger, or one toe barely touching the playing surface (ground) counts as a supporting point. (2) Anything that's touching something strong enough to "provide support". That can be a tree trunk or a tree limb, but it is not a blade of grass or a leaf. A tree trunk is not a playing surface, but you're not allowed to lean on a tree in front of the lie to support yourself while you throw.

I think those rules are phrased properly to allow you to brush some tall grass or some hanging leaves with your arm or leg, but not allow you to lean on or grab a limb. At some point, the line gets blurry and it's up to the group to determine what is an "object that provides support". Those leaves are attached to a tiny little limb, and if I grabbed onto that limb it very well could aid my balance. If I grabbed it, would that count as providing support? What if I leaned into it? What if I brushed past it? Well, the rules say, "if it provides support, don't touch it at all." So, I guess just try really hard not to plow your arm through the limbs, but don't worry about the leaves.

As much as people don't want a jump putt discussion in a tournament discussion thread the ladies results could have ended up different if they would have called Hokom for her foot faults. I counted over 6 in just the last two rounds and she only won by 6.

R3B9 3:13 in, and she is still holding the disc in the next frame.

So it looks like Willie Prince would have exactly matched Paul's -18 if he would have been putting like the top guys often do. CCDG coverage shows 4 putts drawing metal but not sticking from inside the circle or maybe just past circle's edge.

So it looks like Willie Prince would have exactly matched Paul's -18 if he would have been putting like the top guys often do. CCDG coverage shows 4 putts drawing metal but not sticking from inside the circle or maybe just past circle's edge.

He threw in some really LONG ones in the first 9 holes, so it kind of all evens out.

Latest posts