• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics

^ agreed on the age controversy. Not sure it is an issue this year, but we will see.

There's a difference in testing positive or not and doping or not.

It is really tough to beat the system, but I am not so ignorant as to say there is no doping.

Our girls just stomped their tiny bikini asses. Here comes round two! Why am I on here?

That was a good stomping and I don't care what folks say about the shirts - There was still a good view for those who cared to see it :p Did you watch thte men's game after? That huge guy on our team barely had to jump to block Japan's spikes! Oh and DG in the olympics? No. Just No.

I dont see why it cant be in the olympics. There are plenty of "fringe" sports that are hard to follow that are in the olympics. the only reason I could see it not being in is the US dominance. and the fact that other than the European countries, Japan,Canada and a little in Aussie land its not worldwide.

I "lol" at the thought that disc golf will ever be in the Olympics. :p

Maybe we should ask all the people who don't play disc golf what they think.

That was a good stomping and I don't care what folks say about the shirts - There was still a good view for those who cared to see it :p Did you watch thte men's game after? That huge guy on our team barely had to jump to block Japan's spikes! Oh and DG in the olympics? No. Just No.

Hell yeah, Rodgers? Our other beach volleyball team defends the title tonight. I still think disc golf would be fun to watch live and in hd on the Olympic stage. I think x-games would be a good first goal though.

i signed the petition but doubt it will do any good, there is however over 2000 signatures so that is good

How to legitimize DG

I "lol" at the thought that disc golf will ever be in the Olympics. :p

Maybe we should ask all the people who don't play disc golf what they think.

Disc Golfers just need to take the sport more seriously I guess.
Everyone needs to wear DG brand t-shirts and act tough.

i signed the petition but doubt it will do any good, there is however over 2000 signatures so that is good
What do you need 250,000? It is great to support DG and would love to see it happen, but there are too many barriers.

1. More countries must get involved in the sport
2. The sport needs to get a larger audience (people in the sport are not sure if they want that)
3. the sport needs to be proposed and performed as an exhibition
4. The IOC would have to decide if professionals can compete or limit it to Ams.

#4 raises a larger concern. If a great Am wants to go to the Olympics, he will never play pro events if winning money would bar him from competing, so Am could end up becoming filled with better players than pro and would make the sport confusing.

Badminton is in? :wall: Why not Disc Golf.

Because all of the "sports" that are part of the olympics allow themselves to be governed and controlled by sanctioning bodies, and are far better organized.
Disc golf is light years away from either of these things.

The pdga is not in any more control of disc golf, how its played, where its played, and when its played than anyone else.
There is something to be said for how popular the sport is given the lack of money, big time sponsors and tv time. But, were talking about a sport where 80% (random number) of its participants dont play tournaments and arent members of the pdga. The top 10 "pro's" struggle to break 20k every year, and make most of their money selling merch out of their own trunk just to get to the next event, where hopefully theyll break even.

Until disc golf takes itself more seriously, how could you ever hope for something like the IOC to ever take a look at it?

haha yeah I was going to start a new thread here and just saw this. I see that there are a couple courses in many other countries but not enough to have many people that are pro at it compared to the U.S.A. That's why I think that they aren't in there yet and disc golf is more competitive then many sports in the olympics now. This year there isn't even golf so maybe there is a shot to get in 2016 or 2020. I doubt 2016 because they are putting in golf that year.

2016 events have already been chosen, which means the process for exhibitions for 2016 is nearly completed. If the PDGA were to make a huge international push right now and do a 4 year campaign to increase sport awareness in 30 countries we could see a serious bid by 2024 or 2030. A more logical progression would be to have more international tournaments, but then our best pros would need serious funding.

I prefer to live in a world where things are possible.
Your words create your world.
If you choose to live in a world where things can't happen, then use words like "can't", "won't", "impossible", "never"...
If you choose to live in a world of possibilities, then words like "can", "will", "possible" and "eventually" go a long way towards making dreams come true.

While I believe that it is possible that DG will eventually become an Olympic sport, I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.