• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I have had to slow down everything while discing down, but I think that adds to better consistency not worse. For instance, throwing a putter as a driver requires a MUCH slower routine and a lot of snap at the hit. Mids take a bit more speed but still overall slower routine than a driver. Field practice should help a lot. Just go out, relax, and throw and remember its ok to slow down a bit and I think things should start feeling better.

Preston, I'm guessing that you are either thinking or babying your throws too much. You can throw a putter or mid just as "hard" as you can your drivers, you just can't throw them as sloppily with OAT. That's the key. Just throw as you usually do with your regular bag and don't worry about bad throws. As long as your form is clean, you can throw the snot out of anything more or less.

Every round since I decided to drop the fast discs I've felt my timing getting worse every round and every whole. Nothing feels right. I've got two bags loaded with discs and heading to the field in the morning instead of the course. Hopefully I'll be able to work out whatever is going on. I was wondering if anyone else has had this start happening to them. I didn't know if this was a normal thing that occurs when you start working on your form.

I would drop some of the stuff you are carrying. wizard/buzz/stingray and one maybe two of the drivers you have listed. if you have some different plastics/weights/etc of one mold i would just drop to one and go with that.

part of the purpose of discing down is to get familiar with a select set of molds. you don't really 'need' three driver molds to accomplish that.

Thanks a lot guys. I went out this morning and noticed I was thinking more. Nose down, elbow chop, weight transfer and god knows what else. After about thirty throws in the field it felt like my brain just shut off and everything was back to normal. Afterwards I played nine wooded holes and it was some of the golf I've played in a while.

I will drop the XL if the I feel the leopard is going to replace it. If not I'll just drop the leopard. I won't drop the hornet. It's my overstable Buzzz and get out of trouble disc.

Preston, I'm guessing that you are either thinking or babying your throws too much. You can throw a putter or mid just as "hard" as you can your drivers, you just can't throw them as sloppily with OAT. That's the key. Just throw as you usually do with your regular bag and don't worry about bad throws. As long as your form is clean, you can throw the snot out of anything more or less.

BD speaks the truth...what really cleaned up my form was full out drives with my Buzzzs....focus on the late, clean accelleration and snap. They can take it, believe me. And you'll know really quick if you were sloppy.

Once that starts to feel more natural, you'll reach more and more for your mids for the control and you'll see distance gains out of your drivers....they don't fade out nearly as early.

My bag has 4 Eagles, 1 Leopard, 2 Rocs, 1 Buzzz, 1 Magnet. Also one DX Teebird for the water. 5 molds and 10 discs. Am I disced down?

My bag has 4 Eagles, 1 Leopard, 2 Rocs, 1 Buzzz, 1 Magnet. Also one DX Teebird for the water. 5 molds and 10 discs. Am I disced down?

Quite. That actually looks like a lot like my bag, minus the Rocs, Buzzz, and Magnet. :| The only way you could disc down more and still have drivers in the bag is if you dropped the Eagles and went to a Cyclone, Gazelle, Stalker, or Cheetah, etc.

But that would just be lame. A man's gotta have an Eagle, Teebird or River in his bag!

It's like when you throw a Comet just right....you have time to go to the ice cream truck...

Hehe, yeah. The key for me to get these throws more consistent is to remain patient and let the D come. When I throw smooth then accelerate late to get a good snap, they just float for a long time; but I still have the habit of getting too excited (for lack of a better word) and start trying to heave discs like projectiles trying to go further and it ironically kills D.

Hehe, yeah. The key for me to get these throws more consistent is to remain patient and let the D come. When I throw smooth then accelerate late to get a good snap, they just float for a long time; but I still have the habit of getting too excited (for lack of a better word) and start trying to heave discs like projectiles trying to go further and it ironically kills D.

I think that I finally grasped that concept this morning. Instead of chunking it with everything I had I chose to back off a bit and take it a little easy, only because I'm playing again later today. I found that not only did I have more control but everything was going further. A buzzz was landing in the general area where one of my teebirds always stops. I couldn't believe it.

I think that I finally grasped that concept this morning. Instead of chunking it with everything I had I chose to back off a bit and take it a little easy, only because I'm playing again later today. I found that not only did I have more control but everything was going further. A buzzz was landing in the general area where one of my teebirds always stops. I couldn't believe it.

I hear ya! It's hard to shake the mentallity of "I have a driver in my hand so I have to try to throw it really hard."

The problem I had when trying to throw hard was putting too much speed and energy into the throw TOO EARLY!!! I reaching top speed too soon so there was minimal acceleration at the critial hit point. I would also start to open up my pull, meaning my hand/disc was moving away from my chest. Slowing down a bit and trying to "punch" at the target helped me get the feel of staying close to the chest and "hitting" it late (half-hitting so to speak, like Garu was telling us). Big difference, alot less grip lock and turnovers and pulling it off the target line.

And it applies to all your discs...like another 25 ft for everything. You get more distance and control with less overal energy expended because the timing is improved.

But that would just be lame. A man's gotta have an Eagle, Teebird or River in his bag!

Amen, I might die without my Eagles. One is my forehand disc, one is my controlled distance, and another is my tight fairway disc.

I have decided to ditch long range drivers except for my Flash. I found that I was making my overstable drivers turn and burn. Started throwing my Eagles for almost every long drive, and poof, there goes that problem.

Last edited:
So, I've completed ditched drivers and I'm commiting to only putters for the next while.

- HPP Wizard, overstable slot
- SS Wizard, stable slot
- S Magic, understable slot

I played a quick nine holes and only shot two over, which is a normal/I've done worse with drivers.

So I unloaded my bag on #19 long (405' slight uphill finish) and was surprised by my comets. Threw them on hyzer flips and gave the roc a flatter release. Bottom left to top right its comet comet roc. Green is a JLS.

jQ48U.jpg

Also did this with an Ion. I've been playing with some lately to see how I like them compared to Wizards. Didn't overshoot it so bad next round. This is #17 short, 365', and I'm standing pin deep.

AwOUk.jpg

Gonna do some putter rounds and putter comet rounds too, to see how far they can be pushed.

Ok to make a long story short discing down works and works well. My bag looked like this before discing down. I have been using that bag for about a year and would play ok. I never won the monthly tourney AM division or won a gold tag at my local course

Main Drivers
Beat Champ valk
DX Valk
Champ Viking
Champ Wraith

Fairway discs
11x teebird
champ leo
dx viper

Mid range
star classic roc
star mako
x comet

putters
1 main avair p&A
2 beat in avair P&A
1 champ avair P&A

New discsing down set up
Drivers
Beat Champ Valk only foe specific holes at my home course
11x teebird
dx teebird
Chamo leo
either Star/pro or champ gazelle
dx cheetah
dx viper

Mid range
beat x comet
new x comet
esp comet
star mako 166G
star mako 172G
Echo star mako
Star classic roc
dx classic roc

putters
1 main avair P&A
2 beat avair P&A
1 champ avair

I have been practicing just with my putters and trying to get them out to about 250' and have really only been throwing the gazelle, cheetah, comets, makos and roc. Since discsiong down and its been about a month I have won the monthly tourney AM division and also won a gold tag. I have been able to keep most of the discs in the fairway or at least miss where it leaves me with a shot. But I am having some trouble throwing my teeebirds again bc I am throwing a lot of the discs harder then I have before, I tend to sometimes pull a lot of my drivers off to the left. I throw back hand lefty. Anyway to make a long story short discing down has been the best thing for my game since finding the valks.

wow.

So i just started really playing earlier this year and have been noticing that i'm not really getting any extra distance out of my drivers compared to a controlled mid-range disc. Then I found this gem of a thread when I joined a few days ago.

I read tons of pages here and a lot of the issues people are quoting for trying this "disc down" method I have been having myself. Well I went out tonight and started really working on my form and for the first time ever heard the snapping sound of a good disc release and really got some distance out of my coyote and panther. I applied this same technique to short approaches/long putts and i was sinking 50ft putts back to back to back. I love this. (I realize this concept is to improve distance, but i'll take improvements where I can haha)

Don't have any fairway drivers atm, but from reading the thread I was thinking of picking up a light weight Teebird or TL, mid weight leopard, and a heavy banshee for fh and headwind throws. thoughts on this? Would be combined with:

kc-pro aviar
champ coyote
pro roc X2
magnet 150g
champ panther

thanks for responses in advance; totally psyched about working more on this.

Don't have any fairway drivers atm, but from reading the thread I was thinking of picking up a light weight Teebird or TL, mid weight leopard, and a heavy banshee for fh and headwind throws. thoughts on this? Would be combined with:

I agree with the post above about getting a Leopard, but I'd stay away from the Banshee, for now. Brand new they start out a lot more overstable than I expected, with good form you should be able to make a heavier Teebird fare well into a headwind. I would suggest;

165-172 DX or Pro Leopard (champ takes a long time to beat in, not as much glide either)

165-175 DX Teebird (I like mine around 168 for low wind situations)

With the Teebird, you could also get multiples for "mold minimalism"; one in DX and one heavier Champion counterpart for windy situations and/or more fade.

I have been able to keep most of the discs in the fairway or at least miss where it leaves me with a shot. But I am having some trouble throwing my teeebirds again bc I am throwing a lot of the discs harder then I have before, I tend to sometimes pull a lot of my drivers off to the left. I throw back hand lefty.
Griplock, correct? Do not fear the griplock, just orient your body so that the griplock is aimed where you want it instead of to the left. Just be sure to followthru hard and clean, makes the griplock feel a lot more natural.
So i just started really playing earlier this year and have been noticing that i'm not really getting any extra distance out of my drivers compared to a controlled mid-range disc. Then I found this gem of a thread when I joined a few days ago.

I read tons of pages here and a lot of the issues people are quoting for trying this "disc down" method I have been having myself. Well I went out tonight and started really working on my form and for the first time ever heard the snapping sound of a good disc release and really got some distance out of my coyote and panther. I applied this same technique to short approaches/long putts and i was sinking 50ft putts back to back to back. I love this. (I realize this concept is to improve distance, but i'll take improvements where I can haha)

kc-pro aviar
champ coyote
pro roc X2
magnet 150g
champ panther

thanks for responses in advance; totally psyched about working more on this.
I'd probably go 165-170 for all three. While the Banshee is an awesome disc, for the purposes of learning some fundamentals I'd leave it be for now. Learn to FH a Teebird or Eagle and fight a headwind by throwing with hyzer as much as you can, then you can graduate to a Banshee and learn all the overstable tricks like spike hyzers, flex shots, FH rollers, OH, etc. I mean, if it's a no-brainer to use the Banshee (like water on the right and you absolutely must finish left) use the Banshee but really learn to shape lines with a stable to understable driver and make that your workhorse or teaching disc. :)