• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Surge

I can't see the Surge going OOP. Not to call BS on you Fly_High but how...involved is your source?

My two Swirls are slightly higher PLH than the four Zs I currently own (and all of the ESPs). Slight shoulder to flat top for both...pink/purple scaled 174.5 and blue scaled 176. Blue is slighter higher PLH than the pink/purple. Won't throw them until Friday unfortunately.

Both #1
Both #2

He is a member of the Discraft family and a formally sponsored player.

I was heartbroken when he told me.

Just asked a buddy of mine who used to be sponsored in the early 2000s by Discraft but still keeps in touch with some of the guys. He confirmed he heard similar things.

Now I'm glad I went with the Hurricane in my bag over the Surge. Used to throw the surge back in the day, I think my first 400+ drive was with a pre-Doss ESP Surge. I wonder if they think the Punisher is close enough to a Wraith to fill that slot?

If the surge does go oop, how does punisher compare to Kong. I have some lighter Kongs, and I like them, but I'm looking for something just tick more understable to pair with it.

If the surge does go oop, how does punisher compare to Kong. I have some lighter Kongs, and I like them, but I'm looking for something just tick more understable to pair with it.

OK, I've only thrown 1 Punisher and 1 Kong, but it was head to head (basically to see what the differences between the two were).

I found the Punisher to be a little less stable than the Kong, and glidier. The Punisher holds a flat line for a long time before fading. The Kong was quite a bit more overstable and wanted to fade out much sooner. Hard throws with the Punisher showed high speed turn. With the Kong I wasn't seeing any of that.

The Punisher was longer for me. The straighter flight equaled more distance. Speed-wise they're fairly similar. The Punisher has a shallower rim than the Kong.

If I had to pick one of the two I'd take the Punisher. I felt like it glided better and was easier to get distance out of. As a reference, I was getting the Punisher a bit over 400'. The Kong was shorter.

In summary, the Punisher is a good, less stable complement to the Kong.

OK, I've only thrown 1 Punisher and 1 Kong, but it was head to head (basically to see what the differences between the two were).

I found the Punisher to be a little less stable than the Kong, and glidier. The Punisher holds a flat line for a long time before fading. The Kong was quite a bit more overstable and wanted to fade out much sooner. Hard throws with the Punisher showed high speed turn. With the Kong I wasn't seeing any of that.

The Punisher was longer for me. The straighter flight equaled more distance. Speed-wise they're fairly similar. The Punisher has a shallower rim than the Kong.

If I had to pick one of the two I'd take the Punisher. I felt like it glided better and was easier to get distance out of. As a reference, I was getting the Punisher a bit over 400'. The Kong was shorter.

In summary, the Punisher is a good, less stable complement to the Kong.

Thank you! I'm going to have to try one.

I've only thrown 1 Z and 1 ESP(Ledgestone before regular ESP existed) and both of those were way more stable than the 1 Kong I've thrown.

Sounds like my experience is the outlier though.

Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look

Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look

This sounds like my Kong.

I've seen the occasional beefy Surge. I'm not a fan. When I throw a Surge I want some high speed turn and glide.

With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*

With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*

The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.

Those Ledgestone runs weren't that great, nor did they glow at all.

I'd like to see the Surge back too, but I'd rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, I'd think discraft doesn't worry now about reviving an old mold.

I'd like to see the Surge back too, but I'd rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, I'd think discraft doesn't worry now about reviving an old mold.

What's with Discraft and glow discs that don't glow? Like I get that some people think the plastic feels different and like it, but honestly why bother?

Me too. I find that the Surge is a bit mellower than a Wraith. It holds high speed turn longer and doesn't seem to have such a dumpy fade. I've bagged ESP Surges since they came out.

Surge: 11, 5, -1, 2
Wraith: 11, 5, -.5, 3

Might not seem like much difference, but you notice it when you're looking to flex out a drive and have it hold for a while. I get probably 30' more distance with Surges vs Wraiths because they just stay in the air longer and don't fade as hard.

I liked the Avenger. Although I'm sure the Vulture and Anax do a fine impression. And as of late I'm really digging the Boatman in the same category of hybrid stable faster Teebird type discs.

The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.

I've seen more Wraiths on the course lately, more Discraft too, but I think the McBeth effect has scattered some of the Destroyer throwers. Obviously sponsored pros wouldn't ditch the Destroyer for a Surge.

Latest posts