• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft thinning the heard

While this could be a whole other thread, I wonder what folks think could be thinned from Innova's herd.

Putters: Aero, Birdie, Hydra, Sonic
Mids: Atlas, Coyote, Cro, Kite, Skeeter, Spider, Wolf
Fairways: Archangel, Cheetah, Teebird+, Whippet
Drivers: Groove, SL, TeeDevil, TeeRex, Vulcan, X-Caliber

Sorry for stepping on any toes.
I agree with most of these. I think the Atlas & XCal sell well enough to stay in regular production though. Plus I'm pretty sure the TeeRex is already OOP.

Here I've been throwing TeeRexes for years and didn't even know they were OOP. Maybe this Discraft stuff going OOP isn't going to kill me afterall.

Yeah I think the Cro, Spider, SL, FL, and TeeRex are already out of full production (although they may still do limited runs for the factory store). They haven't taken the Spider off their main flight chart on their website yet, but the rest are gone (plus some of them have shown up in the "limited production" section of the factory store).

I'd say the Atlas, Vulcan, Whippet, and XCal all have some core following. I even know a guy who throws a lot of Grooves. I don't know what all the hate is on the Archangel; it's a driver for beginners or kids who don't have much arm speed yet. DGCR folks might not be its intended audience, but it's a better first driver than a Boss.

I think the problem with DGCR making judgements around which discs Innova ought to discontinue (other than the obvious fact that we don't have their sales figures) is that most of DGCR are somewhat serious Intermediate to Advanced level players (with a few Open players). We all try to set up our bags in logical ways to cover all lines with gaps between speed classes, etc. We tend to setup our bags in a similar way to a lot of pros. Companies like Prodigy have tried ONLY releasing discs in speed classes with gaps that make sense for intermediate to pro level players, and I don't think that works well for the rec level chuckers who actually buy most of the discs sold. Unlike us, rec players set up their bag around 2 or 3 discs that they really like because they have a cool name or because they "clicked" with them the first time they threw them or whatever. If they're buying lots of Cheetahs, Archons, and Skeeters and having fun with them, who cares? Those discs may not make sense for you and me, but they might be great for some people.

I want a Thrasher size (height/width) rim in a mold with more overstability. Faster than a Stalker, slower than a Force. I have thrown Surges (and Surge SS) that met that criteria, but not consistently. Make it so, Discraft.

That would be nice. I currently carry a Surge SS which, for me, can be a finicky disc. Something like a longer Undertaker.

Oh man. Can't imagine my game without a hornet. Time to start slowly stacking them up. It's glidey, beadless, over-stable nature will be missed.

I imagine the Drone is one of the molds they have the most stock of, especially in Z and ESP/FLX. Plus, expect it to be one of the most frequently released LE discs. And Big Z looks like it's still in production. My Big Z Drone may have lacked a little of the Z bite, but it had great glide and stayed overstable but not meathooky.

Is the plastic blend of Big Z different than regular Z I thought it was just the stamps?

Yes. Very different.

Z is generally rather firm and translucent. Whereas big z is more flexible, opaque, and most often creates a more understable disc than regular z. They also have a different feel in the hand. Big z has more gip IMO.

Disc golf is like craft beer - I used to be able to keep up with the new stuff. Not any more. So much new stuff makes it impossible to keep up. Breweries retire beers, DG manufacturers retire discs. There will be more. Still, miss the Avenger.

Yes. Very different.

Z is generally rather firm and translucent. Whereas big z is more flexible, opaque, and most often creates a more understable disc than regular z. They also have a different feel in the hand. Big z has more gip IMO.

Thanks for the insight I thought it was just the stamp and a additives for pearliness. Now I want a Big Z buzz and predator.

Yeah, they are a bit pricey vs other baseline, but not absurdly so.

Is jawbreaker baseline? Its rated between X and Z on the website and advertised as "the finest availavle for p&a."

Ive been rockin a JB Magnet for about a month and i absolutely love it. Durable and grippy with a smooth consistent release. It was like twelve bucks maybe? Ummm... Thats worth it to me. JBFTW!

Is jawbreaker baseline? Its rated between X and Z on the website and advertised as "the finest availavle for p&a."

Ive been rockin a JB Magnet for about a month and i absolutely love it. Durable and grippy with a smooth consistent release. It was like twelve bucks maybe? Ummm... Thats worth it to me. JBFTW!
Idk if they consider it baseline, but I think most of us do. So most people don't like to pay 12 for a disc that takes damage like they do. I don't have much of an issue with it. My JB zone has a few nice gouges in it but is plenty beefy still.

Idk if they consider it baseline, but I think most of us do. So most people don't like to pay 12 for a disc that takes damage like they do. I don't have much of an issue with it. My JB zone has a few nice gouges in it but is plenty beefy still.

Aha. Well, now that i think about it, im only using my JB for putting and other discs for approach. Thats probably why i havent had any serious wear. That makes sense.

Uh oh... now im in the market for a JB Zone! :doh: the addiction continues...

Btw whats the stability like on a JB Zone compared to maybe an X Zone?

Last edited:

Latest posts