• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diving for discs- do you call the owner?

Are you obligated to call the owner of a disc you find in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 93 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you find a disc in the water, the woods, or even the middle of the fairway you should call if it's marked. A few courses I play at have a lost and found bin and that system works well. At a tournament I played in November a guy checked the lost and found and a disc he had lost in the pond almost a year earlier was in there. It wasn't the nicest disc in the world and being lost in a pond for a year took it's toll on the plastic but he deffinetly was happy to get it back. I lost a disc to thorns a few weeks ago, my best roc. It's labeled and I'll never see it again.

Do the right thing. If you lost a disc you'd appreciate a phone call.

I wright my name and # on all my disc and allways happy to meet someone for my lost disc.I also call if theres one on a disc.On a side note i played Blackhorse here in houston and a friend went down to his boxers to get his out of the lake and came back with 6 others was funny as hell( cant believe none saw and had us thrown out as we do not live there and its a private course ). We called if there was a number but in the end was able to keep all.

did you see any of the course marshalls? i went to go play it the other day and they were chillin in the parking lot so i didnt even get out of the car i just turned around and headed home disappointed

I am going to start putting my number AND e-mail address on my discs. I didn't realize so many people actually made an effort to return discs! I would gladly reimburse for postage too, especially since PayPal would make this super easy.

Would you buy a used disc from Play-it-Again that had a name and number on it?
If you bought it would you try to give it back?
If you sell discs to Play-it-Again, be sure to mark out your info.

What about if you get a used disc off E-bay and it shows up with a name and number on it (not the seller's)?

No excuses, always call. Also, many of us use e-mail addresses instead, since we might not have permanent numbers or we move a lot. Definitely drop a note.

I've lost many nice discs I know must have been found since, and received no response once they were recovered. I would gladly pay to have them back, if somebody would have done so. If I see somebody throwing them, I'll make a scene.

Many courses have a lost and found anyways, and I always dump found discs in there when I find them and one is available...it saves the trouble and puts the burden on somebody else.

Question? I have heard from friends of mine that discs that have been in the water for a wile are no good? Any truth to this or is it a time thing like one year in the water no good or two months in the water still good???? P.S. YOU ALWAYS CALL IF THERE IS A NAME AND NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!

Question? I have heard from friends of mine that discs that have been in the water for a wile are no good? Any truth to this or is it a time thing like one year in the water no good or two months in the water still good???? P.S. YOU ALWAYS CALL IF THERE IS A NAME AND NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not sure of any time frame or whatever on discs being in the water, but from personal experience, it seems like water really takes it's toll on discs, mainly the dx from what i've seen. i found an unmarked dx viper in water buried about a 1/2" or so in the mud, probably had been there a while, which is an extremely overstable mid-range disc. it would turn left (RHBH), but not nearly what i expected it to. i don't have any data to back it up, but i definitely think it has an impact on the flight characteristics.

Here in Canton, Ohio we have several people scouring the ponds for lost discs. One time I didn't have any of my discs with me but I was in the park just checking on the Jesse Buryj Memory Garden, when I noticed someone fishing out a couple discs out of the pond. After some small chit chat I asked the guy if he contacts the names on the back of the disc. He said he doesn't as he said... I go to the trouble to dig em out, they're mine. I clean them up and re sell em. I wanted to push the guy into the toxic water right there and then, but knew that wouldn't be good. So I explained to him that wasn't to cool and that you reap what you sow. He told me to blankty blank and I was out of there before any trouble could occur. Another time during one of our weekly scrambles I was sitting down on the ground chit chatting with the group I was playing with as we we're waiting for the hole to clear ahead of us and I noticed an old 86 softie in one of the players bag. I asked him if I could see it. and he handed it to me. I said, dude that's my name on the back and the disc is mine. He said that he found it in the water and it was his. So I purposed this question to him... If I found your car unlocked is everything in your car free game or if I found your home unlocked is everything in your home free game for anyone to take. Well of course not he said. Then why do you think that disc is yours when it's clearly marked with my name, I said. He said you could have it as he was pretty embarressed with the whole situation amongst our group and I gave him a couple bucks for his efforts as the disc meant something to me and explained to him the 'right thing' to do when finding a lost disc. I also find a lot of the newer players don't mark their new discs so when they lose them there's no way to contact them. I've found a few unmarked discs during my travels and usually find a good home for it elsewhere. We even had a very kind neighbor of the park donate a extended pole with a fishing net for the unfortunate DGers locate their discs. What happened... the idots threw the pole out in to the water for it to sink as that would put some people out of buisness (like they're actually making a living on it).

At another course in Wooster, Ohio. I once had a professional diver go into the pond to scour the bottom with hopes of finding some plastic. He found 4 discs. And he said the bottom of the pond was perfectly clean to see any discs. Shoot, I know personally I lost at least 10 discs on this one picticular hole. But the hustlers had already beatn' me to the scene and my discs found their way into someone elses bag.

Be aware if you play DG in this area. you might not have even a couple of holes time away from losing a prized disc because of the hustlers. I was wondering has any one ever called the law on these people. As they are stealing?? Aren't they??

While I agree that it is immoral and it should not occur, it is not technically stealing. As far as I know every state in the US has an abandonment provision stating that if property is abandoned and recovered by someone else, it is not considered "stolen". Calling the law would not help. Unfortunately we will just have to let karma take its course on those that practice this disgrace.

The legal definition of abandonment is "the absolving of ownership due to to the willful leaving of property in a public place".

This definition leaves the possibility that if the course is private, the owner could press charges on that individual. If property (disc) is left on his property (land/course) it becomes his property. Then he could give it back to the owner. Most privately owned courses are built by guys who understand the etiquette of returning discs so it seems that it is possible to press charges on a private course.

And just for the record, if it ever went to court, any lawyer (even a stupid one) would be able to argue that leaving a lost disc, even if searched for, is willful abandonment.

It sucks, but there is really not much the law can do for you.

PS - I hate lawyers...I have to deal with them regularly in the insurance business...not exactly fun.

Last edited:
Dont know about the rest of you, but I dont usually "willfully lose discs and leave them on the course" ;)

Is trolling a lake for discs that you know don't belong to you significantly different than walking through a parking lot lifting handles on cars to see who left their unmarked CDs/IPOD/etc. sitting on the passenger seat...?

Yes, it is significantly different, but you would be a good politician Eric.

I have decided I will be calling numbers if I ever do decide to take a swim though, but I still think when you throw a disc when there is water in play you are basically saying you are willing to never see that disc again.

I don't mark any of my discs, but I don't lose many (Maybe 1 in the past year). I'm willing to jump in a river or fjord a stream to retrieve most discs though. If it's a disc I'm fond of, I'll spend 30 minutes wandering up and down a river looking, until the snakes show up.

But there's also times where I'll throw a disc I don't care about in the water where it's clearly visible, and the cost to me in terms of muddiness or wetness isn't worth the replacement cost of the disc to me. I make the decision myself as to whether or not the disc is valuable enough for me to take the necessary effort to retrieve it. I feel that if someone is willing to jump into neck deep water to retrieve my disc and I'm not, then it's worth more to them than it is to me. If a guy walked up at the moment I threw it in, I'd even tell him that if he wants to get it, it's his.

Is trolling a lake for discs that you know don't belong to you significantly different than walking through a parking lot lifting handles on cars to see who left their unmarked CDs/IPOD/etc. sitting on the passenger seat...?

yes it is different, because in someone's car would not be in the public domain...i am of the opinion that A)if you throw on a water hazard hole, you KNOW that there is the potential to throw into the water B)you may or may not have the means or desire to get it out if it does go in C)if you decide you can't or won't go in after your disc, and someone else later does, i say it's theirs

yes i like getting discs back, and you can make the argument that it should be returned, and it's def not a bad idea to call, but i'm MUCH more likely to tell someone to keep a disc they fished out of the water when they call than one that i may have not picked up after shooting...

Ditto for the PiA in Sugar Land, TX. Not much DX stock, Pro is $12, Champ is $15 and Star is $17 IIRC.

ERic
I went to a Play it again sports store in Las Vegas. I needed another disc so I could throw with my brother & sister at the local course. I figured P.I.A.S. would have a used disc or two. Unfortunately they didn't have any used plastic. So I'm lookin at the new Innova discs & I see a beautiful blue champ Wraith for $10.00:eek:. I grab that one & keep looking. Right behind the champ Wraith on the rack is a DX Wraith with a price tag of $15.99. Right there I knew that they had mis-marked the discs & I was getting a heck of a deal! Depending on the store you could get a good deal & they wont even know about it.;)

I went to a Play it again sports store in Las Vegas. [...] I figured P.I.A.S. would have a used disc or two. Unfortunately they didn't have any used plastic.
Yeah, the PiA in Sugar Land has almost no used plastic either. It's almost all new. They do usually have a pretty big supply of Champ X-Outs that go for $8 or $9. Not a bad deal if the bubbles are tiny.

ERic

Dont know about the rest of you, but I dont usually "willfully lose discs and leave them on the course" ;)

Risk vs Reward. If you take the risky shot around water, you are willfully seeking the reward of a lower score. If you mess up and lose the disc in the water, that is the "risk" you take. If you then abandon it and someone else does the work to get the disc back that you selfishly risked to better your own score then they deserve to keep it not You.

Here's a question. I found a beat up Eagle with 3 (yes I said 3!) names on it. There in no particular order just random. My first thoughts are that this disc is some sort of "traveling pants" thing. I guess I'm eventually suppose to lose it and someone else finds it and continues the legacy. What to do think? Continue the legacy? Call a number? If I call, which one?

MONDO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts