• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

sadly i have had no time to experiment. however as stated earlier i did mix a 1% solution of the Bright Red and it came out more brick red. if it requires even a 2% solution, each 1oz. will make 4.5 quarts. the 16oz. minimum is likely the big deal breaker, even if other colors are vibrant as all hell.

You should express this (politely) to Aaron. I too have told him I wasn't a fan of the minimum purchase thing. I had to work on him to get him to come down to the 2 oz per color thing. Originally the deal was 16 oz. per color which is just ridiculous.

Let him know that a lot of us are doing this as just a hobby so the need for placing bulk orders is a big deterrent. They had no idea about this niche market until I reached out to him originally so we kind of have to guide them along the way and tell them our needs as disc dyers.

hell, i run a full time dye business, and i have absolutely no need for that amount of dye. id order an ounce of each if the price was a bit more on par w something like idye. $22-$28 for 2 ounces is outrageous.

hell, i run a full time dye business, and i have absolutely no need for that amount of dye. id order an ounce of each if the price was a bit more on par w something like idye. $22-$28 for 2 ounces is outrageous.

I just sent Aaron an email expressing exactly this. I suggest you do the same. The more of us that say something about it, chances get better that they will bend on this. Like I told him in my email, idye prices are usually $3-4 dollars a 1/2 ounce and they dont require a 16 oz order to buy dye. If pylam wants disc dyers business they will definitely have to be more competitive on this.

You should also tell him that you do do this as a business and express how much dye you may end up going through over time if they choose to be more competitive and work with us on these things.

I just sent Aaron an email expressing exactly this. I suggest you do the same. The more of us that say something about it, chances get better that they will bend on this. Like I told him in my email, idye prices are usually $3-4 dollars a 1/2 ounce and they dont require a 16 oz order to buy dye. If pylam wants disc dyers business they will definitely have to be more competitive on this.

You should also tell him that you do do this as a business and express how much dye you may end up going through over time if they choose to be more competitive and work with us on these things.

hook me up w an email address and i will write up a nice fancy thank you letter that will politely express my concerns for competitive pricing. thanks man!

It might be a good idea to send a photo or include a link showing what you talented folks are doing with the dyes. I am continually amazed.

This Pylam move bums me out as a novice dyer. I've been itching for some more vibrant colors in a wider range than the idye options, but no way I'm going to spend $160 MINIMUM when just starting out. I know they are a business and I respect them for even going after a slice of the disc-dyeing market, but I think I'll send them an email or two expressing disappointment that their order minimum has effectively priced me, and surely others, out of using their product.

Another (respectful) voice can't hurt the cause, right?

My guess is that they are suppliers for bigger operations than disc dyers and it is not worth it for them to make the dyes available in the smaller quantities that would work for most around here. They were very nice to deal with but I got the feeling they were not too interested in developing this as part of their business plan.

For instance, I asked a couple of different people there about getting a list of colors for their water soluble powder disperse dyes for polyester fibers and got nowhere. They basically pointed me to the list I posted earlier. For my samples request, I asked for a color using the HEX color code afff00 from their color selector app and they are sending me Pylam Disperse Chartreuse FSB-15004. So they have more stock colors than what they provided in the list.

They did indicate they thought the fuchsia Odyssey113 likes was a custom sample (Pylam Disperse Fuchsia Samp206141) and are sending it to me. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice (said in Carl Spackler voice).

I have no complaints and am very thankful to have some samples coming my way, but based on their website and my experience with them, I would not be surprised if they do not lower their minimums.

But it can't hurt to have more people asking.

Possible new alternative dying process

So searching for other options to disc dying I found this for dying PVC I thought I'd try it on a disc. http://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/. I put one dry pack of rit dye black in with regular purple pvc cleaner. Used a paint brush to apply the dye because soaking it causes the cleaner to dissolve the vinyl stencil. Apply the dye and let it dry layering it to make it darker. Peal vinyl stencil off and rinse with water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 60
in the very soon future we may have an outlet for pylam at quantities less outrageous than the amount pylam wants us to buy. my retail partner is looking into distributing solely for the purpose of dyers like us. i filled him in on the dye and our issues w the price and quantity and he is looking into buying and repacking to sizes we are looking for.

I would buy....isnt Pylam planning on doing that though? I thought they sent someone a letter about that. Either way, i want to try pylam but am waiting until i can get less than a pound.

in the very soon future we may have an outlet for pylam at quantities less outrageous than the amount pylam wants us to buy. my retail partner is looking into distributing solely for the purpose of dyers like us. i filled him in on the dye and our issues w the price and quantity and he is looking into buying and repacking to sizes we are looking for.

Please let this happen sooner than later!!!! Pylam is bomb, and gets me some of the craziest colors... The "Flu Yellow" fluoresces in a black light!
A spin dye done with Pylam, that I sold a couple of days ago...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 105

This... ya... I have enought to maybe last the year... but love the pylam stuff :hfive:

Probably end up buying a pound of yellow, red, and blue each from Pylam at the end of the year. That would last me forever.

I'm about to give in and order a pound of Pylam dyes, just got an order (already sold) for discs that should cover the cost no problem...

Pylam on Legacy Icon

Clockwise
Pylam Turquoise Blue FSB-10159
Pylam Bright Disperse Green FSB-15001
Pylam Disperse Fluorescent Yellow FSB-15002
Pylam Disperse Violet FSB-10524
Pylakrome Bright Pink FSB-10694
Pylam Bright Orange FSB-15003
Pylam Disperse Chartreuse FSB-15004
Pylam Disperse Fuchsia Samp206141

attachment.php

Attachments