• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Picked yes. Sadly, there was not an option for I am indifferent about the groove. My dog found one not too long ago. I tried it and it failed to impress. I plan on using it for playing catch with my dog.

Innova marketed the Groove as a superfast understable disc that adds distance for weaker arms. When they actually started producing it, it turned out to be a predictably overstable meathook. I think a lot of the hatred of the disc comes from the false expectations. If Innova marketed it as "like a faster, more overstable Firebird," people might not hate it so much.

absolutely.

also, it seems that everyone tries it when they are new(ish) hoping it will be "the boss for mortals". In the end it really is a disc for big arms. - This is why i refer to it as a "disc-tease".

Also, ultimately, (based on my testing and observations) it does not represent a better solution or choice than any of the other faster discs. As a distance disc, i'd much rather throw a destroyer or boss. As an overstable option i'd rather an X-Cal or new boss...

Having said all of that, as a much more advanced player (as when i first started) i have pondered on trying it again. But, i always stop myself as i cant imagine that it would represent a better concept than any disc in my current arsenal. The fact that i do not know any player who has one says a lot - if it represented any sort of competitive advantage or purpose, it would be used by someone.

^ For me it's one of those discs that I will never throw again and I really don't like it. Sometimes I just wanna go out and throw it, knowing that it won't be any better than it was before, so I can get a good laugh out of it. But I know better than to do something foolish like that...

And I would say the majority of the hatred does come back to how it was originally advertised. If Innova just marketed the disc for what it really was instead of 'another great driver for new players that are weak' then people would've thrown it without having any high expectations. And I can say that I know a lot of people that have one, but they've all been retired or sold.

When I started out, one of the first New discs I purchased was a Champion Boss. Needless to say, I couldn't throw it if my life depended on it. Then I got a 170 Champion Groove. I was able to bomb it 300 plus (for a newbie) from the get go (RHBH). It was very consistant for me as long as my THROW was consistant. Put too much Ani or Hiz on it nad it won't do what you want it to. Now I mostly use the grove for Long S curves with a hard fade (RHFH) and I am able to bomb the Boss on long straight short (RHBH) with a little Ani out of the box.

Long story short. I keep a 170 and a 175 Groove in my bag at all times.

I like my Groove. I've been trying my a$$ off lately at my local 9 hole to get an Ace w/the Groove. That'd be awesome!

Yes, it's a meathook, but if that's the spot in your bag you're carrying it to fill, then what's the problem?

It's probably like all other stupid fast disc that 90% of the people throw while only 10% should.

Don't hate the playa (groove), hate the game (you).

Throwing the groove

I found a groove with no name on it deep in the woods and decided to take it for test drive. That thing is the WORST DISC THAT HAS EVER TOUCHED MY FINGERTIPS! It hooks immediately to the left and nosedives into the ground like it's suicidal regardless of how much anhyzer I put on it. Is there some kind of a trick to throwing this thing...or am I just retarded.

only way it willl go is on a hyzer-flip and you really need to juice it out there. Same with forehands keep the angle down and let flip straight for max D otherwise it sucks trying to throw flat or on a flex.

save it for a water hole and use it as a second shot strate in to the water then just walk away like its no big deal.

make sure it'll never be found. throwing it in the garbage just leads to someone else finding it (God help them)

bah, I throw a Groove, but only forehand. You do need snap in order for the disc to cooperate. Lower weights are actually easier to control. Heavier weights require a lot of power.

My forehand drive with the 169g groove is a snap at waist height. I use my index finger on the inside rim for snap and my middle finger on the groove'd rim for accuracy. I normally hit 275' with just snap. Extra power takes away control, but I have hit 350' with it consistently. I use it for long drives on right doglegs.