• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

How does domeiness affect the flight of a hex? I picked up a 175 fission today, and it's got some shoulder to it compared to my eclipse which is really flat. I'd assume less over stability off the shelf? I also grabbed a Pathfinder, because I'm personally just interested to see how the hex and Pathfinder stack up to a rift.

The hex earned it's permanent spot in the bag this week.

Some comparisons with the Pathfinder - though they are incredibly similar, the pathfinder is really the 'straight to fade' buzzz type disc. The hex powers down better and works different angles better. More of a type of flight that I immediately correlate with 'stable workhorse midrange'. My fusion Hex has just a little wiggle at high speed, which makes it more versatile, in my opinion, than the pathfinder. The Pathfinder seems more HSS but less LSS, so if you're looking for a point-and-shoot midrange, that might be worth a look. I was throwing the aura pathfinder and fusion hex nearly to the same spot on every hole, but I liked how the hex got there better. They both have a ton of distance potential for midranges that actually feel like mids, and not a tweener/hybrid. The fusion hex is closer to a -1/1 than the eclipse, which is a good starting pair for my setup. I may grab a proton, neutron, and plasma just to see where the cycle can begin.

The DGA Rift is significantly less stable than either the Pathfinder or the Hex, and might just sit in the bag as the flippy compliment to the Hex, until I can get one beat in. If you're looking for something that is like a flippy buzzz, the Rift would be one of my first suggestions.

Ive been using a hex also. Owner of the disc golf shop said that's all people are talking about. So i got one.

For me it's ok backhand. Just dead straight with a small fade.I like the disc but i prefer using it on forehands. The way the rim is shaped is perfect for 270ft to 300ft forehand shots. So it stays in the bag.

I seem to be settling on the Fusion Hex as my do-it-all stable-side-of-neutral midrange.

Still testing understable complements, though.

Count me in as one of the recent Hex converts. I love the shallow feeling profile and it fits perfectly in my midrange lineup as a nuetral workhorse mid. Basically the Hex has replaced my Buzzz because it feels better and it handles FH shots better and for me, it just feels more versatile. If that's even possible to be more versatile than a Buzzz. Also, the Reactor is probably the most pleasant surprise and it easily kicked the Verdict out of my bag. The Reactor handles FH shots incredibly well when that's called for. The Reactor - Hex combo is a force to be reckoned with. For now, the Quake at the most overstable end and Tursas at the understable end are safe but if I wanted to go minimal, I could easily just play with the Hex - Reactor as my only two mids. I'm especially loving the Nuetron soft Hex from the OTB Open.

Anyone thrown a low weight fission Hex ( by low weight i mean 157 g) ? Will it flip up and go straight potentially?
What is the approximate lowest weight available in each plastic? I've got a 166 and 178 neutron currently and on the hunt for a lighter weight fission to hopefully beat into a understable flip to flat standstill disc.

Hex question while this thread is back on top. Older space race/circuit challenge glow hex. Are they more OS than most any other hex? I got one from a used bin with some wear hoping for something straighter than my glow buzzz in my night bag. Its definitely more stable and a little less glide. Similar weights.

I have two OTB Open 2022 fission Hexes, 164g and 158g. Both surprised me how OS they are, and continue to be. My heavier neutron (169g) has beat in quicker to become more neutral. Still a lot of finish, but at least I can throw it flat.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's that run, but the Hex has always had more fade for me that I expected based on reading Internet reports.

Not actually a complaint. I completely trust the neutron Hex in the woods.

Interesting video to add fuel to the fire. I got a Neutron Hex after watching. The thing goes straight. The problem I was having is judging the distance of throws for upshots. I had to go back to the Dart for upshots because I was overthrowing with the Hex. Par 4 hole #13 for instance at the Quarry in Brooksville FL. Threw driver out into the fairway. Tried the Hex for the upshot and went past the basket. Only saving grace was the hole has a serious bank behind it to stop the Hex or I would have gone 50ft past. Had similar results on other holes, going too far past the hole for the comeback putt. Now I use the hex to drive shorter holes, requiring a straight shot.

Hex question while this thread is back on top. Older space race/circuit challenge glow hex. Are they more OS than most any other hex? I got one from a used bin with some wear hoping for something straighter than my glow buzzz in my night bag. Its definitely more stable and a little less glide. Similar weights.
It's definitely the most stable of all the Hex's I've thrown. I've only thrown the skullboys and stock neutron.

You ever forget to pick up a disc from its lie as you play through a hole, then realize several holes later it is missing? That is just what I did today with my beloved Fission Hex - my favorite mid to date. :mad:
The course was just a bit too busy and the hole I was sure I Ieft it on was just too far back so I chalked it up as a loss.
Gonna have to replace it sooner rather than later - such a fantastic disc. Great for forehand approaches. Great for those times when I don't want to go Kaxe or even Envy. I have a backup - 2023 OTB Open Neutron Soft, but I just haven't got comfortable with the feel as of yet. Once I find a new Fission, I was thinking about picking up an Eclipse as well to try that one out.