• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

Interesting... my Valks in Gstar were FAR more overstable compared to my star and pro valks.

I would go as far as saying that my Valkyries are FAR less understable than the Stars and Champs I have thrown in the past. The only Valkyrie that has been close has been the Champion Glow plastic, but even then the GStar has more forward fade and glide than Champ Glow.

After hearing that GStar Mambas have more stability then Champ or Star (which I thought was way too flippy for anything but rollers) I figured I would try one out. I really like Star Sidewinders for 340'-350' turnover shots that don't come back much. So far I really like the GStar Mamba. It's closer to a seasoned Sidewinder but longer. Getting it out to 365' in the field. Need more time with it only about 6-7 throws so far. Hasn't flipped too much yet and seems predictable (hyzer flip release).

I've got me a 168 G* Wraith on the way. I really hope it flies like my G*Destroyer but easier to throw due to the lower speed. My best disc is a 168 Star Wraith. My G*Destroyer is less stable and feels great to throw but I can't throw it as far as the Wraith.

here's my factory 2nd teebird:

very flat actually (compared to other's DX Teebirds):

14408603032_53b0bb8565_c.jpg

14409915515_3ae8c81aef_c.jpg

it was super overstable brand new, but every succeeding week playing with it - its getting straighter and straighter. I must say - G-star has surprised me on how durable it is. I've shanked drives into trees less than 30ft away from me and they hold up just fine.

I've got me a 168 G* Wraith on the way. I really hope it flies like my G*Destroyer but easier to throw due to the lower speed. My best disc is a 168 Star Wraith. My G*Destroyer is less stable and feels great to throw but I can't throw it as far as the Wraith.

I throw mostly Wraiths (167-169g) for backhand distance shots. I would say my G* fits perfectly between my most overstable pop-top star and my really beat under stable Star. It has some turn and a light fade. Really straight disc.

I just noticed my Boss says "Disc Golf Only" on the bottom. I looked at other G* discs and other Bosses and didn't see that on any of them. Could somebody give me the low down on what that is all about?

I just noticed my Boss says "Disc Golf Only" on the bottom. I looked at other G* discs and other Bosses and didn't see that on any of them. Could somebody give me the low down on what that is all about?

I've not seen it, but sounds like a warning not to use it as a catch "frizbee".

Liability?

Me and my buddies get crazy sometimes and play long distance catch with fariways and drivers.

At the right distance, getting them up to speed, etc. they are moving slow enough by the time they arrive to catch without any pain or threat of injury. Usually best to have a few guys spread out side-to-side on each side for the wayward toss.

Oh, and it beats field practice since your discs comes back to you vs. all the walking and delay involved with fetching them.

Um...people have had their skulls cracked open with a disc, so I assume it could hurt your hand too.

Anyway, back to the topic of G*, I picked up a G* Aviar this week and it seems like a nice compliment to my KC's and McPros.

Quick thread drift related story

A group of us were playing a 9-holer that is kind of in the 'hood. There was a small group of guys hanging out at the only picnic table, giving us curious looks. We approached them and they seemed really interested in all the different discs we had. I gave them a Surge SS, thinking they might want to give disc golf a try. We play another round and when we finish, the group of guys are in a big circle trying to play catch. One guy has gloves on and every time he catches the disc he says "Ow!" and shakes his hand. It was one of the funnier things I've seen on the course.

I will agree that if you want to play toss with a golf disc you must be smart enough to know NOT to stand close to the thrower.

I just assumed that was obvious...my bad.

I love my G star Teebirds and TLs.

G star plastic

Hello my fellow Americans,

I bought a g star tee bird yesterday, love the plastic love the disc. but after 10 throws I hit a pine root and now there is a 1/2 inch cut on the edge. Has anyone had any problems with durability with g star plastic. I take care of my disc and wasn't doing anything crazy.

I just posted about this in the T3 thread

Sometimes Gstar hits a tree and is fine, but sometimes it turns to crap. Inconsistent for me.

Hello my fellow Americans,

I bought a g star tee bird yesterday, love the plastic love the disc. but after 10 throws I hit a pine root and now there is a 1/2 inch cut on the edge. Has anyone had any problems with durability with g star plastic. I take care of my disc and wasn't doing anything crazy.

Durability noted as great with myself or friends throwing a variety of them on wooded courses with some nasty hits in the few months.

Sorry about the bad luck on yours.

I think It was just a crazy fluke, I will still be buying more of the gstar plastic. it feels amazing in my hand. the gstar teebird 175 gram I have is money every time, I trusted the disc after two throws.

I bought a G Star Rhyno and have thrown it a few rounds at Winton Woods. Ask any local what Winton does to discs, it chews them up. With all the gravel on the course, exposed tree roots and black top under every basket your discs will get more nicks than normal.
Tonight I threw 2 other dx discs and one base plastic discraft disc as many times as I did the Rhyno. It's a very short Steady Ed course so I threw all four off most tees.
The other three had to be sanded when I got home the G star Rhyno needed no sanding, it had no nicks.