• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Pro Plastic

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've heard some good things about certain discs in Pro plastic, but have never actually tried it out myself. I usually prefer Champ plastic because I consider it the most durable and longest lasting, although there have been instances where I've found that Star plastic actually flies better, like with a Wraith. Are there certain molds that fly better/further in Pro plastic compared to the other plastics? Is it worth sacrificing the durability of the premium plastics to throw it? Is it more or less durable than Elite-X?

Everything is better in Taffy Pro Plastic except for those First Run Pro Teebirds...

Love the Taffy...

Want to find a bomber disc... get your hands on a Pro Starfire (SL) in the Taffy off-white Plastic... wonderful stuff.

I would equate Pro to Elite X. I have a 172g Pro Valk that gets some serious D and the plastic holds up a lot better than I thought it would. I also have a 172g Pro Starfire although I never tried it BH, might have to try it now that I can throw BH.

It really varies discs to disc.

Pro Rhyno - very soft, borderline floppy
Pro Pig - firm, but really grippy
KC Pro Roc - very firm, grip is close to DX
KC Pro Aviar - very firm, some grip
JK Pro Aviar - soft (not floppy) nice grip
Pro Starfire and Leopard - feels alot like Star, maybe a touch softer

That's all the Pro plastic I've thrown. THis is all the newer stuff, anyway. Maybe the drivers, etc are like the Starfire and Leopard, but the putters seem to really vary.

Pro plastic does vary quite a bit from different putter molds. I haven't noticed much difference in the driver molds though.

I love the Pro Wraith . It just feels good coming out of my hand. I also love the Pro Valk. Once you break it in a little, that thing goes straight as an arrow.

Everything is better in Taffy Pro Plastic except for those First Run Pro Teebirds...

I'm actually quite fond of the 1st Run Pro Tee-Birds!!! What exactly is the problem that people have with them? If folks don't want 'em... give 'em to me!!!

I use to have a few Pro Beasts & they were awesome, durable enough, had awesome grip & as far as plastics go... Innova Pro is some of the best I've thrown... but I heard that they gonna discontinue making it, so I might have to snag up some before they're gone!!!

Last edited:
They have better grip and are slightly less stable than the same disc in premium plastic. So far mine are holding up much better than expected and I play on rocky, heavily wooded courses. Love my Pro Leopard and Pro Destroyer...and they come in really pretty colors.

why do you all buy pro and not star?

(honestly asking...)

i buy either Champ or Star for any thing other than approach and putters......
I'm slowly starting to replace all my discs in either champ or star.... but i have a beat in DX Roc and Gator that i dont want to give up.

why do you all buy pro and not star?

(honestly asking...)

i buy either Champ or Star for any thing other than approach and putters......
I'm slowly starting to replace all my discs in either champ or star.... but i have a beat in DX Roc and Gator that i dont want to give up.

It cost less & for me grip is a key factor as Champion & Star seem too slick for me. Same is true of Discraft's Z, but I never tried their ESP yet.

The newer style pro plastic is so similar to star plastic now, theres almost no reason to pay $3+ for star.

I bought a pro boss and it is very similar to star, but it's $5 cheaper. I wish they made all discs in pro.

I'm a big fan of pro plastic. Like others have said, Innova calls a lot of different kinds of plastic "pro". I think all of the pro plastics have desirable qualities.

Drivers in pro plastic seem to have noticably better glide than Champ or Star. I believe this is because the plastic's not as dense. And high speed drivers in that r-pro stuff? Woowee - them discs flat go!

Pro Cobras are really sweet discs. I'm sad they've been discontinued.

I'm certain I'm not the only Roc thrower around here who carries a KC along with a beat DX.

And the very best pro disc.... the JK Aviar. You might have a putter you like better, but there's no better putter than a soft, seasoned JK.

So I tried out the Pro Wraith the other day and it flew nothing like the Star or Champ Wraiths I've thrown. I was throwing it on this 350' hole that has a pretty big hyzer line that you need to hit so I release this disc with a good bit of angle and the damn thing completely flipped up and over and started tracking right. It had a very minimal fade at the last moments of its flight, but still had the glide of the Wraith, if not a little more. It ended up going about 400' (which is super-long for me), but I still had about 200' to go to the pin because of how off target it ended up. It flew like a beat-in Z Surge SS, both of which are too flippy for me to hit consistent lines with.

I also threw a Pro Starfire, which had a nice flight, but was also a little more understable than I was expecting. I could do a slight hyzer-flip into a long, straight shot without fear of it turning over and it would end with a healthy but small fade. It sorta felt like a faster Champion Teebird.

My pro starfire has a really dramatic s curve when thrown flat and hard. It's a drama queen. That's why I dyed it marbled pink. But if i've got the space it'll go.

Destroyers, Wraiths, Starfires, Leopards are all fairly good in Pro.

I really like Pro Destroyers, not any less stable out of the box, and break in nice for a turnover driver.