• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is shoveling ice legal in order to get a better stance

KCPROROCQUE

i tryed throwin in the back yard which is covered with a solid 1/2 inch of rock hard ice. Being in Texas, i didnt have much luck. (dont really have a lot of experience doing this) So i used a small shovel and removed the ice for a solid stance. it took only a few seconds and the results were great. Is this legal to do in a sanctioned tourney?

doubt it. Good question though. Someone from the NW or eastcoast should know this.

nobody is going to hold a sanctioned tournament on a 1/2 inch of ice. the liability is too great. if you end up on some random ice in a tournament, call it an unplayable lie and follow the rules.

The tourney in lewisville will be this weekend. Not getting above freezing til that day sometime. So dont say never

Good point.

You could carry one of these in your bag.

Folding%20Shovel%20&%20Case.jpg

nobody is going to hold a sanctioned tournament on a 1/2 inch of ice. the liability is too great. if you end up on some random ice in a tournament, call it an unplayable lie and follow the rules.

Yep, they make sure the teepads are in good order for tourney play in the winter tourneys.

I got a tip from someone today to lay down a bath towel in the front of the tee so you can actually have traction to plant and pivot then. He said it works great, and told me I could do it in the tourney this saturday.

On the tee yes. But if its covered in ice are you going to lay down a runway of towels

No because all the matters is that you get your weight shifted properly and are able to pivot. Make sure you do both of those on the towel. Or its called learning to throw from a standstill. Simple solution there for ya. And its winter, have fun.

Its always possible that they may put up temporary tees marked by flags just off of the concrete ones for better footing and safer run-ups. They're also running Friday doubles the day before the tournament and that might give them some opportunity to soften up and dry out the pads before the main event.

Of course, I've seen ice storms where walking on the grass wasn't much better than walking on cement.

nobody is going to hold a sanctioned tournament on a 1/2 inch of ice. the liability is too great.

Doubtful as the players have to agree to a waiver of liability before registering, even under normal conditions.

I would assume its just fine to beat the ice away, as long as its behind your lie. Just like you can move sticks and debris from behind your lie, I would think this falls in the same category.

then why does play stop during lighting and other dangerous weather?
Because waiver of liability or not, it wouldn't exactly be good for somebody to get killed. I would hardly put ice on the ground in the same category of danger as lightning, a tornado or a situation where the ice storm was ongoing during the tournament.

Now if limbs were falling out of the trees due to the ice, that would be another matter.

"Standstill Bomber"

I've played many tournaments in snow & ice. You can't expect others in your group to wait while you shovel out your stance on each shot. If everybody did that, it would take forever to complete a round. And the footing isn't going to get much better, trust me.
You'll just have to take a much shorter run-up (or none at all) & throw.