• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Love at first throw?

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Have you ever bought a new disc (altogether new, not a replacement, not a disc you've tried before, but completely brand spanking new to your hands) taken it out and on the very first throw, realize that it was absolutely made just for you?

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods to buy a kickstand for my bike and couldn't resist perusing the disc selection, and I came across a bright yellow star mako3. Despite having just purchased a champ mako3 which hasn't been delivered yet, I was so intrigued by the extremely flat top and it was right there in the weight class I wanted and I liked the color... So I bought it.

Right off the #1 tee, this thing went laser beam straight, right where I assumed it; that 0/0 turn/fade rating is no joke.

I like all of my discs, but this was love at first throw. Did you ever have a disc like that?

Sent from magical pony land using Tapatalk

I got a Harp on a whim while in MN at GGGT. They had just come out and Eric had been talking it up in the DGAM I had listened to on the plane.

I had decided that on this trip I would bring no discs and just pick up 4-5 at GGGT. I didn't have my OS mid a Tachyon at the time, so I tried to flick the Harp on this hole at the Brickyard that goes over a gorge with a guarded pin.

It held up to my slightly tenitive oaty throw and parked the hole.

I wore the course out with mostly that and a beat to piss Firebird.

Really good disc that has been in my bag since that day.

That's the way my Suspect was to me. I actually found it in a field with no name or number on it. Threw it in the bag and tossed it during the round. It ended up being my most thrown disc that round. Now I bag a fresh and beat on in my bag at all times.

Comet

Bought a box of discs and took them all out to a field to try them out. Nearly every disk except putters take me time to learn. The Comet flew exactly where I wanted on the first throw and pretty much has continued to do so for me. Have hit multiple 100+ foot putts with it and is the only disc that just felt right from the very first throw.

Not first throw, but I have 2 discs that I bought, took to a course, and aced the second hole (different discs, different courses). They are both winners in my book. (Cryztal Sparkle Zone that I bought in person from maansmit, and a PIAS Prodigy Proto M3)

I like all of my discs, but this was love at first throw. Did you ever have a disc like that?

Yep. I felt that way with the Star TL, when I first picked it up, then first threw it. The Star TL is still in my bag.

I also felt that way about the proto DX Colt.

A few, being a bit of a disc junkie, have felt right the first time I threw them.
In no particular order:
QMS
Lucid Renegade
Gstar Mamba
Pro Destroyer
XT Colt
Prodigy 400 P4
Last, and most special, P-line PD

-my first Z Buzzz
-my first Champion TeeBird
-my first Champion Wraith
-my first Z Force
-my first QJLS
-my first Z Stalker
-the MBP JLS that was technically my first disc

Had a lot of discs over the course of 14 years, but those are the ones that I fell for immediately.

In 2010 at bg ams we got a second run star katana in the players pack and I fell in love right away. I ended up using it for most of the tournament.

Opto Core...although I realized it was essentially any Buzzz type mid. I started with a DX Shark and then DX Roc, and as soon as I tried the Core I could hit those low ceiling tunnels like a fairway driver, but at the power/speed of a mid. Not that Rocs aren't great and all.

Until this year the trilogy challenge mids really impressed me first throw. I bought up every claymore and evidence I could, this year i cant give the sling away.

The Yeti Aviar, Rhyno and Eagle are the only discs I have ever clicked with from first throw.

All my other favorites had to be worked with a bit, some I even hated in the beginning (Comet, Leopard, Roc).

Teebird (regular and L). Yeti Pro Aviar, and DX Roc's were game changers for me from the very first time I threw them. Although I wasn't working with much prior to them, the counterparts were an XL, Magnet and Hawk.

DDX. wow, love that disc.

Harp as well, it was funny actually, I threw envy's in that slot, then suspects, I knew about the harp but resisted it because I try to much plastic, but when I finally did the harp now is my most thrown disc

Wizard. First putt, and I knew it was "my" putter.
Zone. Took about a month to fully kick Drones out of the bag, but I pretty much knew from the first throw it was in the bag for the foreseeable future.