• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most controllable 11+ speed driver

Gonna disagree here. Those discs control you. They only do one thing, no matter how you throw them. These discs could be considered "more predictable".

Discs like the Wraith are workable on a lot of different lines. You can throw a shot right, straight, or left. I consider that having more control.

I'm with you. I was being sarcastic with the thumbs up for Nuke OS.

I couldn't agree more with the "these discs control you," comment.

Wraith, Surge, Flow, and I throw the Sword.

These are some of my favs and all have spent a good deal of time in my bag at one point or another. Each has a touch of high speed turn and a predictable fade, which makes line shaping more predictable. All are available in multiple plastics which makes it easy to carry a couple different stabilities in your bag. You really can't go wrong with any of these.

On a related note...As the market inevitably becomes flooded with more and more speed 13-14 max-speed/max-D drivers I see this "control" class of essentially speed 11 distance discs being called something else at some point. Perhaps they will be the fairway drivers of choice in 2015.

Gonna disagree here. Those discs control you. They only do one thing, no matter how you throw them. These discs could be considered "more predictable".

Discs like the Wraith are workable on a lot of different lines. You can throw a shot right, straight, or left. I consider that having more control.

If you can FH a very fast stable disc out to at least a distance that is comparable to your BH (think 350 for 400) than it kind of nullifies what you say above. I have experienced first hand, as well as having gotten spanked by other pro's at tourney's, who use this type of strategy with sometimes even the same disc (FH and BH) rather than throw many anhyzers.

On a related note...As the market inevitably becomes flooded with more and more speed 13-14 max-speed/max-D drivers I see this "control" class of essentially speed 11 distance discs being called something else at some point. Perhaps they will be the fairway drivers of choice in 2015.

I agree with this, I think of it in terms of ball golf. The fairway drivers are much more of you 3-5 iron, while speed 10-12ish are more like a fairway driver to 3 wood. Good D and easier to control. The speed 13-14 drivers are more like the 1 wood or now super fat, overly large, don't fit in bag drivers that are being put out now. Amazing distance, but who knows where the hell they are going types of shots, although in most disc golfers' case, those shots are going left.:doh:

If you can FH a very fast stable disc out to at least a distance that is comparable to your BH (think 350 for 400) than it kind of nullifies what you say above. I have experienced first hand, as well as having gotten spanked by other pro's at tourney's, who use this type of strategy with sometimes even the same disc (FH and BH) rather than throw many anhyzers.

I'm not sure how that invalidates my point. You can throw Wraiths forehand just as easily as backhand. Sure you can get good at being a huge torque monkey with grossly overstable discs but that's neither here nor there.

The most stable disc I'll FH is an OLF, don't like the meat hooky flight of say a firebird unless it's windy.

Besides that I really have nothing to contribute to this thread, fastest disc I consistently throw is a SJLS, a speed 9. Pure money for me though basically a slightly longer fairway driver in awesome plastic.

Wraith/Surge are still two of the best overall distance discs. Easy to control, easy to work lines, easy to pump out there for a ton of flight time.

Not a jerk comment...it's true.

That said, I was just curious what everybody out there thinks fits in this slot...just seeing if there are any trends.

I'm sure that "controllable" constitutes a slot. It's more of a characteristic that is very hard to enumerate.

I guess it really depends on what kind of control you want. If you want consistency throw after throw, an overstable disc in Z/Champ/Opto plastic is going to be it. Overstable discs are going to be more resistant to bad form, wind, etc meaning they hit the same line over and over again. But again, it comes down to the thrower. If you can throw with perfect form every time, you can control just about any disc.

If you want control in the form of versatility, the answer is Wraith. Across the entire lineup of plastics and weights, you can shape an incredible number of different lines. But again, you've gotta be able to throw right.

The short answer for me though is Orc. I can get really good controlled distance with it.

I just don't see me flicking even the most stable wraith with control out past 375 feet. This is where all the new super fast super overstable stuff comes in to play for me. I like star bosses for bombs. Before all the hate I also use slower stuff and much more understable stuff if the conditions call for it. If your trying to learn to throw big drives with forehands then a wraith will help you with form at first. But to keep the discs on golf lines out past 400 with a sidearm you need that new stuff.

I'm sure that "controllable" constitutes a slot. It's more of a characteristic that is very hard to enumerate.

I guess it really depends on what kind of control you want. If you want consistency throw after throw, an overstable disc in Z/Champ/Opto plastic is going to be it. Overstable discs are going to be more resistant to bad form, wind, etc meaning they hit the same line over and over again. But again, it comes down to the thrower. If you can throw with perfect form every time, you can control just about any disc.

If you want control in the form of versatility, the answer is Wraith. Across the entire lineup of plastics and weights, you can shape an incredible number of different lines. But again, you've gotta be able to throw right.

The short answer for me though is Orc. I can get really good controlled distance with it.
Brad, the OP asked for speed 11+... I agree the orc is a great controllable distance disc, but it doesn't fit the OPs requirements

Brad, the OP asked for speed 11+... I agree the orc is a great controllable distance disc, but it doesn't fit the OPs requirements

Drat, I guess it's only a 10 huh? I don't generally pay all that much attention to speed ratings.

Okay, I'll change my answer to XCaliber.

I just don't see me flicking even the most stable wraith with control out past 375 feet. This is where all the new super fast super overstable stuff comes in to play for me. I like star bosses for bombs. Before all the hate I also use slower stuff and much more understable stuff if the conditions call for it. If your trying to learn to throw big drives with forehands then a wraith will help you with form at first. But to keep the discs on golf lines out past 400 with a sidearm you need that new stuff.

Wrongwrongwrongwrong.

If a champ glo wraith is not stable enough for your sidearm you have issues. Pretty sure Koling can flick something around 400 with a freaking buzzz.

I haven't tried a Star Wraith but I picked up a light weight Bliz Wraith and at least for me it's all over the field. Got my longest throw ever (~360) yesterday but it was about 30 deg off angle.

I seem have the most consistency with either R-pro Boss or GL Havoc. But if 350 is my max range maybe I shouldn't even be throwing 11+ discs. :doh: