• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most controllable 11+ speed driver

I'm still saying you're wrong, I'm not saying there aren't other discs, there are, but a max weight champ glo wraith is stable enough for the biggest flicks i'd have to imagine, as long as they are CLEAN.

It's cool though, whatever.

as long as they are CLEAN.

This is the key point. Control is not about choosing the right disc, it's about using the right form. To say a disc is not overstable enough for a flick is dead wrong and just means your form is bad. One of my better long range forehand control discs is an Avenger SS. I can get great golf lines with it.

I have a Pro Wraith that all sorts of beat up. It's crazy flippy, but I can pretty easily get it out to about 350 with a pretty good measure of accuracy. An understable disc thrown right will allow you to shape much more intricate lines. There's no such thing as too flippy, not even for flicks.

You have it EXACTLY... The OP didn't ask for a controllable disc 11+ THAT HE CAN THROW FAR, he just asked for a controllable one... Nothing is more controllable than a 250 ft meathook...

You are confusing predictablilty with control. You dont control a champ max, or an ape or a boss. They go left. Did you make it go left with your "control". No, you prolonged the amount of time it took to go left, this is not control.

You dont classify pred, FB, xxx as control fairways do you? No, you classify, teebirds, eagles, xs, river etc , see the pattern?

*edit, didnt read muh further than the ridiculous post i quoted, to see that a few had. Asically said what i said, but either way ima leave it

Last edited:
I have loved the wraith for this category since I have been playing. A couple weeks ago I started throwing the ESP Surge and it overtook the wraith. Has more glide which was what actually replaced the wraith. Controllable with tons of glide gets my vote anyday :thmbup:

ESP Nate Doss Surge for me .. im a noodle armer tho :) .. i like the elite-z too but they are waaaay more stable for me then the Doss... dunno what it is about them.. the Nate Doss even seem to be less overstable then other normal esp surges too .. for me anyway .. but nice glide and control

I'd say Echo Star, or Star, Wraith, or an Opto Flow even. As for the forehand issue, my form isn't as clean right now as it once was, but I learned to flick on a champ sidewinder. If thrown clean, that thing can hit some crazy lines.

Avenger SS. I can put it on any angle and it will do as commanded. Have the most confidence in it and it's the one I reach for the most. Can't say it's speed 11 though I think it's slightly slower than that. If I need something a little longer it's my GL Flow. It always goes straight with a slight fade at the end.

Maybe it has to do with my personal arm strength but I prefer my Swords over my Wraiths. I find I snap just enough to turn my Wraiths over slightly before they come back to the left. On my home course which is reasonably tree'd this is a problem. I've had my Westside Swords for 3 weeks now and the comparison to a longer teebird is true. My 173g Tournament plastic is straight as an arrow with plenty of glide. Super impressed with them, but by no means am I trying to disparage the wraith.

Maybe it has to do with my personal arm strength but I prefer my Swords over my Wraiths. I find I snap just enough to turn my Wraiths over slightly before they come back to the left. On my home course which is reasonably tree'd this is a problem. I've had my Westside Swords for 3 weeks now and the comparison to a longer teebird is true. My 173g Tournament plastic is straight as an arrow with plenty of glide. Super impressed with them, but by no means am I trying to disparage the wraith.

Yeah, I think the Sword flies more like a faster version of the Orc. It has a very locked on type of flight where the Wraith wants to gently turn and fade. Another reason I like the Sword is because it flies better in the top line of plastic (VIP) than the Wraith does in Champ. Even my broken in VIP Sword still locks onto a line if started with hyzer, where once you get a Wraith broken in it always wants to come up and over before fading.

I was definitely going to say my finely tuned star destroyer; however, I have to give props to my original fly dye Z Nuke. The Nuke is giving me options right now that I have never had with just one disk. I can backhand this disk incredibly long and straight with a dependable slow speed fade. Side arm, I can get giant anny turnovers with a nice flattening out at the end. Also side arm, I can hyzer flip it for max distance helix action.

The clincher is this - I've had the goal of getting my backhand off the tee as consistent as my forehand. While my form has improved, (it's more like elbow damage that has hindered my backhand), it's been the ability to fly this Nuke with only 70 - 80% power and have it get to the basket. I've got 14 flick aces and I expect this disk will get me my first backhand ace!!

I may have to try a Sword as well. To get the "Teebird effect", which plastic would be the best? I'm currently throwing Echo Teebirds.

Last edited:
I used to really dig the Surge but had problems finding a couple that flew the same, now I'm packin around a glow Nuke and a Nuke SS. I think the Surge is better at shaping a wider S, the Nuke is more straight on, Nuke SS travels most of its distance on an anhyzer... unless you are hyzer flipping it straight. I'm really digging the SS as an overal utility disc, shapes the same lines for me as an Avenger SS with more stability. I use it for fairway and max distance, finger and thumb hammers.