• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on course

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyD

So, and I may be in a huge minority here, but what are people's views about music on the course. IE volume level, type, content, and general etiquette?

I was out today and my lovely walk through the woods was interrupted by blaring slipknot. I will set aside the littering and profanity that accompanied the music for another topic.

Go...

tumblr_lk9xa6DiO71qdg75qo1_500.png

I honestly don't mind music, talking, nearby construction sounds while I play. Total silence doesn't give me an advanced focus on the course. As long as it's not country I don't care.

One of the most annoying things during a PDGA tournament is how ridiculously quite you are expected to be during a round. I'm not going out coughing right as someone is putting but some people get so upset if you step on a couple crunchy leaves while they throw. There is a general level of sound I like between total silence and obnoxious garbage.

Last edited:
Public park, I say at least keep it edited. I don't care personally, but with kids and women around, I think it's completely disrespectful and offensive.

What? Would you actually call the cops for a disc golfer playing some tunes?

We've had this thread a bunch of times and it always gets weird.

I don't really care that much. It's worse if I don't like the music and I would rather be able to talk to the guys in my group but whatever.

Here we go again. Any bets on how many pages this goes on for before it makes to the land fill?

Pretty much hate music on the course, I find it very distracting. What I hear most is what I hate most, Gangster Rap, Country and loud metal.

I honestly don't mind music, talking, nearby construction sounds while I play. Total silence doesn't give me an advanced focus on the course. As long as it's not country I don't care.

One of the most annoying things during a PDGA tournament is how ridiculously quite you are expected to be during a round. I'm not going out coughing right as someone is putting but some people get so upset if you step on a couple crunchy leaves while they throw. There is a general level of sound I like between total silence and obnoxious garbage.

Thanks for writing my post for me. :) (Although I don't even mind country)

The only issue I have is profanity in music if there are little ones around. Show some respect. And don't blare your tunes, no matter what kind.

Edit: Mark996 was too fast with post #4. Agreed.

Last edited:
I don't mind anything non-vulgar at a reasonable volume but would rather not listen to it at all. I just enjoy being outside. Once it becomes heavy metal or rap I tend to lose interest quickly in hearing it....damn, I am getting old.

The only thing I hate more than people playing music on the course.....

Is dgcr threads about it.

Is this if they are playing it too loud?

I can't imagine having the energy to get involved in that conversation. In 15 years of disc golfer I've maybe encountered one guy playing the music a little too loud. Maybe you have superman hearing.

Nope. I've only done it once, when others were complaining about it and some women and kids were there. One of the tee pads sit right next to a splash pad, and during the summer its heavily occupied. Group of kids roll up, start blasting gangster rap talking about ****ing and rape. They were asked numerous times by others to kindly turn it down, in which they promptly told them to **** off. Local authorities showed up, not called by me, and one was arrested for possession of methamphetamine and outstanding warrants. The group was told to leave as well and given criminal trespass warnings.

I don't care if they have it too loud, doesn't bother me at all, and even if the language is an issue, I don't care. As stated, my only issue is around kids at the park, that's it. I don't get offended by things easily at all.

In 15 years of disc golfer I've maybe encountered one guy playing the music a little too loud. Maybe you have superman hearing.

Yea, most guys just wear earphones/buds. The days of the boombox are long gone.

Buddy of mine has a decent speaker he attached to the top of his Ranger bag, gets pretty loud. But he's the same way I am, if kids or a woman pass us one of us will turn it down if the music or song playing has an offensive language. I thought about putting one in my Lat 64 bag, but just use a hanging speaker instead. Gets plenty loud for me when if I forget my headphones during a solo round.

I'm gonna convert one of these in to a rolling bag!

Attachments

• $_32.JPG
    $_32.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 32
One of the worst rounds I ever played was with this guy who had a speaker on his bag. He asked the 5 of us if it was okay (I'll give him credit for that) and the other guys didn't care. If you were behind him the music was extra loud, and he was a fast walker so it seemed like I was always trailing behind him. It was some satellite radio station and I honestly couldn't wait for the round to end.

Outside of a tournament, chances are it's a public park so do what you want, but have some decency if other people don't want to listen to your crappy reggae or metal and bring earbuds.

I remember, not to long after I started playing, I almost bought a small generic disc bag that had little speakers built into it. Cant seem to find it anywhere, so I guess it went out of production awhile ago.

I wear headphones at least forty hours a week at work and appreciate the relaxing sounds of nature. I would prefer that people wear headphones instead of using a speaker.

2 Hours in and no 'fill ?

Yeah music on the course is...... polarizing, to say the least.
The visual the OP paints is definitely a worst-case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.