• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here the Anode was a welcome option to the Ion.. Did some damage with those things back in the day!

Plucked a dark purple soft proton one out of my yard day before the tourney, I'd been throwing it for practice with my old dog and it was more broken in than my main one.. Bagged em both and that was the year I shot my two best rounds back to back for a tourney here. I would have been second overall.. If I'd played open instead of advanced haha I won my division.

I got my basket basher Marm-O-Set envy's today. They look great. I still haven't decided which one to throw and which one to shelve. Probably throw the double stamp one, it looks the coolest. Any opinions on value of a misprint over a perfect stamp on one of those things? Is it stupid to throw the double since I can sell it and buy a boat in 5 yrs or something like that? Haha

Last edited:
Question: How does the gyro overmold impact the break-in of a disc? In my limited experience with MVP discs, they seem to be pretty resistant to beating in, but then again, none of my mvp discs have really had major impacts... even the hard faders always get to drop onto soft grass. So do MVP discs generally hold their original flight properties pretty well?

Question: How does the gyro overmold impact the break-in of a disc? In my limited experience with MVP discs, they seem to be pretty resistant to beating in, but then again, none of my mvp discs have really had major impacts... even the hard faders always get to drop onto soft grass. So do MVP discs generally hold their original flight properties pretty well?

Well I play on a rock pile in the woods so... Haha... yes they can take forever to break in. And that's with the abuse I hand out, I've found it to generally take a year to get some change out of a disc that's thrown often.

For reference I got three electron soft Envy's that I had to stop throwing so they can keep their stability for tournament's. They were all very "envy" for about two months (max) of steady play. After that I used one for an extra month of competition and it's now understable.

My original Relay from time of release is slightly different than my new ones, it has a much flatter flight, I bought backups when it started to change after about two years of hard, steady usage. The difference is it has a flatter flight, holds straighter at the 75 percent point in flight when gyro push engages and doesn't fade out with a hook and drop anymore it's a gentle pan and fade. My old 165 is reasonably equivalent to a fresh 155 without the LSS.

MVP/Axion discs are pretty resistant in my experience, and I play mostly in the woods (often rocky woods). After the initial break-in, MVP/Axiom discs typically hold flight characteristics for months.

Occasionally the overmold will get gouges, but when I clean up any loose flaps the disc often returns to its original flight, or pretty close to it. Much to my chagrin, because I really like the flight of some beat-up MVP discs.

For example, I have a Plasma Insanity that I have been throwing since spring. This is my most-thrown driver so it sees lots of tree and rock hits. The overmold has two significant gouges and the flight is noticeably more understable (which I like, paired with a freshie).

I am reluctant to clean up the loose plastic around the gouges because if I do, I strongly suspect that I will lose the understable flight that I like.

Proton and neutron discs take FOREVER to wear. I have had a proton insanity in my bag for a few years now. Up till I graduated to a wave for distance drives this spring, that insanity was my go to disc off the tee everywhere. Including one hole where more often than not I'm throwing 300' throwlers onto an asphalt track. That disc has been incredibly abused over the years. Flies still like it did when I first bagged it. Maybe just a touch less stable. I'm also throwing it way farther than I was last year, so that is part of it.

TL;DR......The proton and neutron MVP discs will compare very favorably to any other manufacturers premium plastics. I'd say even better. They are bulletproof.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually really like the flight right out of the box on my neutron teslas, motions, and plasmas... and was hoping they'd stay that way!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually really like the flight right out of the box on my neutron teslas, motions, and plasmas... and was hoping they'd stay that way!

The 3 oldest drivers in my bag are Resistor, Crave and Motion. The Crave and Resistor are from early 2014 and the Motion was early '15...

The Motion hasn't changed a bit but is probably the least thrown of the 3... but don't take that as not having been thrown a lot. Its got hundreds of throws on it.

The Resistor is 2nd most thrown but has been beaten on the most. I've hit lots of trees very hard with it. Still doesn't turn on its own but has lost most of the fade. It basically flies like a fresh Crave.

The Crave is a dead straight laser beam nowadays. Maybe picked up .5 of turn over the years and lost all its fade.

All are the older style stiff neutron plastic.

Last edited:
My experience is the Electron wears in to a point and stays there for awhile. I am thinking of my Cosmic Electron Crave that lost its fade in 2-3 months and has been flying the same as a fresh Atom for some time now.
Fission breaks in a few months as well. I got a Fission Volt and a first was thinking, "What's the point?" Then it gained some turn and is now a legitimate -1 2 disc, nice and straight.
As mentioned above, Photon and Neutron are really slow to break in. As per Plasma, I can only say it holds longer than Fission and Electron.

I thought some of you might be interested in this event I just posted in the DGCR Tournaments and Leagues section. Hope to see you there!

118418655_3190499981028070_6704000400690718855_n.jpg

REGISTER FOR THE EVENT HERE
or here:
https://events.discgolfunited.com/mobile/event-detail.cfm/tourn_id/10302?fbclid=IwAR027eTKdqitiFkaZ0m4GHro_3H0Lktnkqo79oaWu3CYbqQk1i_t2AdKT4I

Hello! This event is a gathering of gyro lovers of all ages and experience. We hope to provide a unique specialty stamped disc for each players pack designed by Marm O. Set and have a great weekend playing disc golf. Disc selection is not guarunteed and prizes for winners and extras may vary on what is available at the time registration closes.

October 10:

(8am-9am) Check-In @ Nevin Park

(9:30am) Singles Shot-Gun Start @

(9:30-12:00) Round 1

(12pm-2pm) Lunch

(2-2:30pm) Check-In @ Hornet's Nest

(3:00pm) Singles Shot-Gun Start @

(3-5:30pm) Round 2

(6-7pm) Awards Ceremony/Players Party @ Another Round Disc Golf?

October 11:

(8am-9am) Check-In @ Renaissance Park Gold (Random Doubles)

(9:30am) Doubles Shot-Gun Start @

(9:30-12:00) Round 3

(12-2pm) Lunch

(2-3pm) Ring of Fire @ Renaissance Park Gold

(3:30-5pm) Closing Ceremony/Awards

Division Prizes: 1st-3rd Round Winners per division and Doubles

*Schedule and Prizes may vary and are at the discretion of the Tournament Director*

**Divisions must have a minimum of 4 players to qualify, otherwise players will be grouped into the next division up or down at the Tournament Directors discretion**

***Covid-19 is an ongoing pandemic and certain restrictions or regulations may be put in place at the time of the tournament or may cause a delay. In the event the tournament must be postponed or canceled, the Tournament Director will ship out event specific players packs.***

****Refunds will not be processed after registration is closed****

Well disc golf's at my place, took 5 minutes to find my disc bag haha.. Too much 3 disc at home, I haven't even thrown a driver this month. Probably go 155 fission Tesla.... And it's feeling like the soft n Marm-O-Set envy.

Had a quick look and weighed my Monocacy inertia (scruffy).. It's got the nipple top and nice and flat, 159 I think it's probably a FR or close, matches my 155 and 157 completely. I haven't thrown it since I over drove it the last time and lost it for a week. Anyhow real pumped on that!

. . . Monocacy inertia (scruffy)

For some reason this reminded me I need to take care of some deep gouges on the rim of my Plasma Insanity. It has been flying nicely understable with loose plastic flapping in the breeze, so I worry that it will return to its usual S-curve flight after I clean it up.

Playing Patapsco Valley this afternoon (9,200' for 18 holes) so I'll get plenty of chances to see how the disc flies after plastic surgery. :D

Well I'm hoping your round went better than mine.. I should have played three disc golf.. I only regret a couple bad shot selections by my partner... not to say my shots were awesome but I should have pushed to use my/his drive twice, but he gets thrown off by little branches etc...

Turtled 2/3 drives... made no amazing putts, missed many that would have been good if it was a basket

Well I'm hoping your round went better than mine. . .

Hmm. Got caught in an hour delay heading to Patapsco Valley because a hay truck caught fire on the interstate. Discovered the park had reached COVID capacity, so we turned around and played Woodsboro. Not a good start.

Best shot of the day was on 18. Bro, a friend, and I were playing a modified version of wolf and I needed a deuce to tie. 378' downhill through a tight fairway. Pured the line with a seasoned Neutron Wave, but needed to be just a little higher.

Missed the 60' patent pending anny putt. But the drive left me happy.

And sure enough, plastic surgery on the Plasma Insanity returned its stability. :| So a Roadrunner goes back in the bag.

That's really interesting that a flappy chunk hanging off makes the insanity less stable. Must be that whole air disturbance thing.

Funny you mention the Roadrunner, that's the disc I most wanted my Inertia to be like.. My 155 (well used) is kinda like a champ 165 RR... I was thinking yesterday too that a real light fission Wave might yield a RR flight. If I wasn't such a Gyro head I could just throw one back in.. Part of its sentimentality too, my best 165 star RR is a Dawg Daze Cortes stamp that I don't want to lose.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying my MVP discs. I wanted some new understable drivers, so two or so weeks ago I got an Impulse, and just today I bought a Wave. I haven't gotten to take the Wave to the course yet, but I threw it in the field by my house earlier, and I seem to really be able to make that thing sail! The Impulse quickly became one of my favorite discs, and I foresee that happening with the Wave as well. Moving forward, I think I'm going to primarily shop for MVP discs. What are some staples in the MVP line?

I'm really enjoying my MVP discs. I wanted some new understable drivers, so two or so weeks ago I got an Impulse, and just today I bought a Wave. I haven't gotten to take the Wave to the course yet, but I threw it in the field by my house earlier, and I seem to really be able to make that thing sail! The Impulse quickly became one of my favorite discs, and I foresee that happening with the Wave as well. Moving forward, I think I'm going to primarily shop for MVP discs. What are some staples in the MVP line?

Some of what's in my bag (my bag is all gyro save for one disc)
Drivers: Wave is a fantastic disc. Excellent choice there!

Fairways: insanity. My long time favorite driver. Great understand control driver.

Wrath. Long, straight, good fade. Super flat. My fave FH disc.

Crave. Mines in plasma. Everything a teebird wishes it was. My workhorse fairway.

Resistor. For when you need the BEEF.

Mids:
I only carry two. Now oop plasma axis and a proton matrix. If I were starting over now, I'd rock a electron and a proton matrix and be covered.

Putters:
Where MVP shines. Ions are some of the best throwing putters out there. I putt and throw Anodes too. Good straight flier.

There are several others I don't bag that are super well loved also. I'll let others chime In on those, but off the top of my head: envy, proxy, atom, ohm, relay, volt, Tesla, photon.

Well understable staples you are there except the Relay. Huge mold! Universally loved! I don't think you will find more distance than a Wave unless you are pushing 380'+. A Vanish however is less stable than a Wave might be worth researching.

The Volt is another good one, stable fairway... available in lighter weights (sub 170) in fission plastic. Crave is the fairway option that I have relied on more lately.

After that it depends what you are missing. I bag a 165 Relay, 155-163 plasma waves, 155 neutron wave, and usually a 155 and 162 fission Tesla. A couple optional drivers pop in and out... sometimes something beefier for the wind.

I like the Inertia, some prefer the insanity, I think the Wave is superior for distance (plasma Wave is easier to turn than neutron by a reasonably large margin) and the Relay is better for lower speed/arm but that doesn't mean it doesn't go far.

Putters- Envy, Ohm, Proxy are big.. I don't like the Proxy and bag the Ohm but many love the Proxy for laser line holding. Of course everyone has opinions on putters. If I had to start on one I'd say Ohm

Last edited:
If you like US discs, you will probably love a Relay. It's a weird class of disc. Most "drivers" in its speed range are older Innova Cheetah, Gazelle type discs that were pre bevel rim. But the relay has a modern rim and gets super sneaky distance for its speed because of it. They start out with enough fade to where it will usually land just left of center but once you knock that off, they turn into an awesome flip to flat tunnel shot disc that will also hold an easily controllable anhy line. It also rolls a pretty good line if needed.

It powers down as well as up too. I don't really throw a US mid because I can cover all those shots between my Proxy throwing putter and the Relay. The one I use for that is from the first run though, so its seen a lot of use but its not super flippy compared to other discs its age would be.

Last edited:

I like the Inertia, some prefer the insanity, I think the Wave is superior for distance (plasma Wave is easier to turn than neutron by a reasonably large margin) and the Relay is better for lower speed/arm but that doesn't mean it doesn't go far.

I'll add a bit to the Wave vs Insanity bit. I bag both, and the wave has replaced the insanity as my distance driver. I can get the wave easily 20' farther than my insanity, usually it's 30'+ better. My 165 plasma wave has much more lateral movement though. I still bag my original 166 proton insanity for more controlled, albeit shorter, drives.

For frame of reference, I can now reliably put the Wave out to about 340'. Insanity on a good rip is 320'.

Well it looks like fission waves are finally in stock at my local online wholesaler of course the regular edition ones or 165 g i haha but there are some lightweight special edition ones. I snagged 148 gram 155 gram and there was a blemished one at 162 grams it was half price so booyah

Status
Not open for further replies.