• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Crave for driving in the woods quite a bit. Plaz Volt for longer Crave flight. Banzai for hard fades and a somewhat beat Relay for my turnovers

I like mids for tight woods shots. My score is better with better placement with a Wasp, Comet or Kaxe than the increased distance with fairways.

yeah mids are better for staying on the fairway

but im greedy so ill go for the extra 25-50 feet with drivers

I run the standard MVP bag.. If I can't reach it with a putter it's fairways like the Crave or Relay.. I'm not really packing any of their mids right now.. Just a glow Comet.

Might throw the eclipse Tangent in for a week though and play some Halloween glow disc. That's why I'm amped up on those Craves. It's the slowest driver they've made in glow and light weights.

I run the standard MVP bag.. If I can't reach it with a putter it's fairways like the Crave or Relay.. I'm not really packing any of their mids right now.. Just a glow Comet.

Might throw the eclipse Tangent in for a week though and play some Halloween glow disc. That's why I'm amped up on those Craves. It's the slowest driver they've made in glow and light weights.

yall glowin up there in canada already

Fission Photons are one of the most inconsistent molds that MVP has. That being said, they are one of my favorites. But, yeah, they need a guide.

FR Photons -- most were FAF and had a matte appearance and chalky feel. They are pretty straight with some stability when new and beat into a great disc with maybe a HSS og -0.5 to -1.0. LSS starts off at a +1 to a +1.5 but beat in to be pretty straight to +0.5

2nd Run Photons -- very discernible heartbeat dome. More glide than the FRs. Much less HSS and drift probably -1.0 when new to -2.0 to -2.5 when beat in. They don't handle headwinds well but with the right conditions these things bomb. They are more Wave-like than Photon like but I like them because I now carry fewer Waves. They also have a slightly more rubbery or bike tire feel to them.

3rd-late 2018 -- all these are PFN and are various iterations of the 2nd run with some more flat, some with a higher dome. Go by PLH for these.

2019 Run with FN -- the plastic on these is not as chalky or matte as the FR but have a closer PLH. They also came out in higher weights (there were some high 160s and low 170s in the FR and 2nd runs but were pretty rare and highly sought after).These things are real beefcakes and even after seasoning, are still pretty OS. HSS is a 0 and LSS is a +2.0 to +2.5 (it might even be a 3 on some days). I am trying to still season mine but don't have a place for it yet in my bag (seasoning both a 160 and and 170 class).

2019 Elaine King -- most are pretty similar to above but there seem to be more that don't have the shiny ness of the others this year. This was confirmed just this week when I found out that they were experimenting with polishing the rims on the Fission Photons. The EK ones do not have this done to them. They also seem collectively to have less shoulder and flatter than others for this run. They are most like the FR than anything released (although the higher weights are beefcakes like all the 2019 run).

2019 SE Mac Planck -- almost identical to the EK but with brighter colors. Also most like the FR but beware that 165g+ ones are pretty beefy.

I normally bag 2-3 Fission Photons. A FR that is FAF and super straight (need to throw with some hyper). Pretty good with slight headwinds (less than 10mph). The 2nd is a 2nd run that is pretty US, not good in headwinds, but when the conditions are right this just bombs. The last is a 3rd run that is pretty flat and doesn't have any high speed turn. It has a good amount of stability and I can rely on it for good fade. I have multiple backups of each and keep them seasoned up with field practice in case I happen to loose one temporarily in one of the local water hazards that I can sometime end up in.

Thanks!
I just replaced my EK sig 154g with a Max Planck. I'm glad to hear they are similar.
I have a 149g 1st run that is my absolute bread and butter. I tried to get a duplicate, but even though it seems like it's the same, it is not. Much more understable.

Do you have a suggestion for replacing the 149g 1st run if need be?

We have our annual Halloween Glow tournament Sat. I am hoping, but not holding my breath, that my glow Crave comes in the mail Sat.

USPS is not the most dependable

Well I hope you get it.. I got one of mine yesterday managed to intercept the package in the mail so that's one that honey doesn't know about. Didn't get home til 7 last night so I haven't had a chance to go out and throw it. We've got a got a high wind warning out for the next day or so too so I'm not sure about tonight either. Dug out my glow Tangent, Comet and Envy so I can get some practice in for a few days before Halloween or Sunday, when the league is coming up here.

I don't know about the fission Photons.. Is that first run more understable or is it your replacement? My FR is flat and beat in, my replacement is domey and fresh. My replacement (late 2018) exhibits very similar traits but I assume it just needs a beating for a while to get it closer to FR flight. I think the dome makes it have more HSS and more glide, once it mellows it should be close. PLH is the same.

Last edited:
I got a tracking status... My Crave should be here next Thursday....

Discgolfcenter did say 5 to 8 days... but that has never taken that long in the past. Oh, well, my fault.

Thanks!
I just replaced my EK sig 154g with a Max Planck. I'm glad to hear they are similar.
I have a 149g 1st run that is my absolute bread and butter. I tried to get a duplicate, but even though it seems like it's the same, it is not. Much more understable.

Do you have a suggestion for replacing the 149g 1st run if need be?

Those lighter weight FRs aren't easy to replace with later runs. They started off straight but quickly became US. They were a bit squirrelly and at least I have to really cut back on the speed and release the with lots of hyzer. They were fun to throw. Your best bet is to post an ISO on the MVP BST page. I believe there is one up there right now, a new FR 146 and the highest bit is 28 right now. I still have a few but I am not giving up any FRs at the moment. They are a cornerstone of my bag, even if I really don't use the sub 150s too much.

Hey so I got out yesterday with the SE Crave, 2018 glow Envy and eclipse Tangent... the Crave in eclipse is less stable than my proton both around 162, it kind of keeps with that Halloween envy from last year being less stable than its proton brethren as well.

Really enjoyed it, I haven't thrown my proton Crave as much since its kinda meaty but the SE is a good step down still more stable than my neutrons. Got some great straight shots with what looked like a big hyzer finish. When I got there though I'd only panned away from the pin maybe 35' tops. So still well placed for a putt.

Looking like I could do a setup Neutron (or plasma) + Eclipse Crave beside a Relay and have 75 % of my shots covered. Seriously considering Plasma and Eclipse Envy beside a Spin and call it a bag. I forgot how much I like that mellow proton flight.. It makes me feel less like I might pack a mid.

Slide a Inertia or Photon in there maybe haha but it feels redundant... plasma Wave is likely the best complement to that set. The (178) Tangent throws almost like a 167 Envy..

So the glow envy is less stable than other plastics. Not what I wanted to hear when I was planning on replacing my beat up plasma with one for something more stable. My plasma envy flies liked a fresh proxy now.

So the glow envy is less stable than other plastics. Not what I wanted to hear when I was planning on replacing my beat up plasma with one for something more stable. My plasma envy flies liked a fresh proxy now.

My LE Eclipse Envy has a slight bit of turn to it and it has a bit more of a dumping fade than a lateral movement. It dump is not extreme, but a noticeable lack of lateral movement compared.

I've owned three Envies all in max weight -- Eclipse, Neutron, and Neutron Soft. Obviously this is a very limited sample size, but my Eclipse has more HSS than my N Soft. My Neutron was the most HSS but alas I threw it into an abyss earlier this year. I didn't find any noticeable difference in LSS among the three pastic types. Maybe my Eclipse is beefier than most, or maybe my N Soft is just less stable than normal. Regardless, it seems my experience on relative stability in Envy plastics is the opposite of others on this board.

Nope just less stable than expected.. It is not as stable as my proton ones, more like my protons with a year or more of wear, still more stable than my plasmas. I feel like it's protons in the sweet spot. People expect eclipse to be more stable usually but that's from previous glow rim discs.

Get one!

No te gusta?

no me gusta

not just cuz mvp mids suck but also i dont really like anything in that slot like the justice

it just wears out my toothpick arm when i could just throw a motion or os volt with half power instead of a full rip on a deflector or justice

no me gusta

not just cuz mvp mids suck but also i dont really like anything in that slot like the justice

it just wears out my toothpick arm when i could just throw a motion or os volt with half power instead of a full rip on a deflector or justice

That makes sense, it's basically a headless Justice, which I like. If you don't like that slot it would be useless for you.

I don't throw any of their other mids regularly, but I did actually like the Matrix pretty well. Just can't boot the Bard though. Too versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts