• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

The ion looks more stable (or at least more lss) than you would think, I bet this may be the same. Hey if its somewhere between an aftershock and a hornet, I will probably throw it. Either way I like having my excitement sparked.

discspeed said:
Here are my thoughts regarding all of this...First of all I think the core concept for the Vector is versatility. It is called the Vector, which, to point out the obvious, is a straight line. In other words, I don't think it is going to be OVERstable, rather nicely HSS with a forward dominant fade. Chad is not going to put MVP's rep on the line by coming out with a meathook rather than a versatile workhorse mid as promised (such is the standard set by the Ion).
All I could find from Chad is this: "I am shooting for at least a stable/slightly-overstable flight", now that can easily be the most versatile slot if the disc is executed well (wich I of course ecpext MVP to do). Taking that statement together with other comments on the effects of the overmold, wind-fighting abilities and the look of the profile pics I'm hoping for a true 0 HSS and a very dependable LSS (because of the shape/bead). I think the odds for a late, forward penetrating LSS is good, again because of the overmold gyroscopics and based on the characteristics of the Ion
Looking at the profile pic again, I think it's a bit hard to see how concave the wing actually is, I think the lighting makes it look too pronounced at least it fooled me at first. it's not a true profile either, even the top disc is seen from a slightly elevated perspective. A cross section like the Ion pics would be much appreciated, but a little mystery might be more fun :)

discspeed said:
In my crystal ball (which is biased towards what I want :wink: ) I see a disc that starts out about the average stability of a dx Rancho...It will have more glide than premium Rocs and this will keep it from dropping or cutting out of the air like a lot of overstable mids tend to do. I think they will break into an ever straighter character. Ions break in, and these will too. I'm sure it will take YEARS to get one beat into an effortless turnover disc, but I think in a couple of months you will have a disc that will hold it's line and fly on any angle of release.
I like your crystal ball :) but I can't say I notice much difference in my most beat Ions yet, so beating these in for more versatility might be too slow to be practical, especially if Ion comes out with a beadless variety in less than two years time :D

I've got a red proto medium that I've been throwing more than any other disc for the past 9 months. It was a little less stable than a newer medium out of the box, and now it's a genuine turning putter when it comes to driving. It will hold a perfectly straight line and drop with minimal fade on a flat release from 100-150'. From 150'-250' it just flips slowly and flies pretty straight after the initial slow turn. Outside of 250' it's a hyzer flipper. Let me just say, although it takes a while to get an Ion understable (the softs break in to turning much sooner than the mediums), it makes an awesome turnover disc. I'm hoping the Vector is essentially a midrange version of the Ion with a touch more initial overstability.

discspeed said:
I've got a red proto medium that I've been throwing more than any other disc for the past 9 months. It was a little less stable than a newer medium out of the box, and now it's a genuine turning putter when it comes to driving. It will hold a perfectly straight line and drop with minimal fade on a flat release from 100-150'. From 150'-250' it just flips slowly and flies pretty straight after the initial slow turn. Outside of 250' it's a hyzer flipper. Let me just say, although it takes a while to get an Ion understable (the softs break in to turning much sooner than the mediums), it makes an awesome turnover disc. I'm hoping the Vector is essentially a midrange version of the Ion with a touch more initial overstability.

I have an orange (I got used thanks to whoever traded me this one) that was just straight on drives, no fade at all. Sparked my ion love. Now I have other meds that fade (which is awesome, fade is a good thing most times), and the old orange one tracks right so effortlessly and still doesn't come out. Its a very valuable disc in my bag right now. I also use it as a primary putter, which makes driving with it scary. I need more meds so I can make the orange one turnover driving exclusive. I need more.
I was really enjoying putting with my softs on colder days, but we had a short heat wave (hit 65 degrees one day) and I had to switch back to the medium. I probably will throw the soft back in the bag, as tomorrow is a high of 18 with a -10 to -20 windchill (I am working and won't be playing), then tuesday is a high of 1 degree before windchill. . .(Fahrenheit. . .) I wish I owned a car.. .

Thatdirtykid said:
I need more meds so I can make the orange one turnover driving exclusive. I need more.

Funny how this sentence is perfectly understandable to us on the board, and how it would sound like the rantings of a drug addled mind to anyone else.

Now that I'm super used to the Gripline Pures, the textured underside of the Ions feels almost completely ungripable. :(

I am really curious as to what it is about that textured underside that some have no problem with, maybe even love, and some others dislike... anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to this? Also Josser, have you noticed anything about the shoulder height between the putters you use and the ion?

Haven't seen anyone love it, mostly indifference or hate, wich is probably why MVP is considering a change for the Ion, and, they've confirmed the Vector won't have this.
Anyway, I don't really think it's the effect that throws people off, it's just a hang up ;-) "Ohh, everytime I feel my new disc it feels so different to my other discs, I can't stand it!" :)
I'll start thinking like that when I have nothing to think about improving in my throw, until then I can't be bothered :)

I don't like the texturing, but I really only notice it on my touch throws. I don't notice it on my putting grip, and I don't notice it if I'm throwing my Ion at all hard. It's when I just want to grip kind of softly and loft one in using my normal throwing motion that I feel the texturing requires me to hold onto the disc tighter than I want. I remedy this by carrying a FR Ion, which is super grippy, lacks the texturing, and works great for these shots.

cfair said:
I am really curious as to what it is about that textured underside that some have no problem with, maybe even love, and some others dislike... anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to this? Also Josser, have you noticed anything about the shoulder height between the putters you use and the ion?

Perhaps for some skin-types, the textured part is more grippy, but it is definitely less grippy for my hands and the difference is even more noticeable in colder weather. It is not as if it is slick, but in my case there is a tripple-whammy:

1. My skin finding the textured part less grippy.

2. My touch grip is forefinger and pinky on the rim and the other two on the flight plate. I have quite short pinkies so my hand works pretty hard to keep a solid grip. I'm experimenting with some three finger grips and will see if that might help a bit in this case.

3. The rounded part where the flight plate meets the rim also decreases overall grip. The way to maximize friction is to have the grip force (in this case finger pads pushing into the rim) perpendicular to the surface against which it is being applied. In the case of the ion, a decent amount of my finger tips sit on the curved part that would normally sit on the rim. This also adds to the less grip issue.

So these things make it so that for touch grips, I just don't have the grip that I want.

As for shoulder height, the Pure is shallower and the Ion is very close to my previous approach putter, the Banger GT. I threw both the Pro-D and ESP banger and didn't like the ESP banger for touch grips either.

josser said:
cfair said:

Perhaps for some skin-types, the textured part is more grippy, but it is definitely less grippy for my hands and the difference is even more noticeable in colder weather. It is not as if it is slick, but in my case there is a tripple-whammy:

1. My skin finding the textured part less grippy.

2. My touch grip is forefinger and pinky on the rim and the other two on the flight plate. I have quite short pinkies so my hand works pretty hard to keep a solid grip. I'm experimenting with some three finger grips and will see if that might help a bit in this case.

3. The rounded part where the flight plate meets the rim also decreases overall grip. The way to maximize friction is to have the grip force (in this case finger pads pushing into the rim) perpendicular to the surface against which it is being applied. In the case of the ion, a decent amount of my finger tips sit on the curved part that would normally sit on the rim. This also adds to the less grip issue.

So these things make it so that for touch grips, I just don't have the grip that I want.

As for shoulder height, the Pure is shallower and the Ion is very close to my previous approach putter, the Banger GT. I threw both the Pro-D and ESP banger and didn't like the ESP banger for touch grips either.

I agree personally with your #1 & 2 reasons. However, I really think #3 is just a matter of getting the feel of the Ion. It is not the first disc with a curved transition between flightplate and inner rim (Shark comes to mind) and their is still plenty of perpendicular sidewall rim to grab onto.

discspeed said:
...It is not the first disc with a curved transition between flightplate and inner rim (Shark comes to mind)...

Are there alternate Shark molds? I'm looking at a Star Shark right now, and I don't notice the fillet where flightplate meets inner rim to be of any significantly larger radius than my X Buzzz.

^^ same here, but if it weren't for the textured area on the bottom, I think I could look past the rounded inner rim...or just try to get used to it. Neither of those bother me when putting with the ion (they don't come into play with my grip), but it slips early almost every time I try to drive / approach with one. And I don't like putting with a putter that I can't drive with too. If the textured area weren't there, I really think I'd drop my Wizards...I'm tired of hunting down specific runs that feel good :(

I think with the softs the texturing was OK. That plastic is really grippy and I don't notice it nearly as much. For some reason it feels much slicker on the mediums.

Unless Chad is getting overwhelming feedback elsewhere that many people love the texturing, hopefully we will see future MVP discs without it.

discspeed said:
I think with the softs the texturing was OK. That plastic is really grippy and I don't notice it nearly as much. For some reason it feels much slicker on the mediums.

Unless Chad is getting overwhelming feedback elsewhere that many people love the texturing, hopefully we will see future MVP discs without it.

X2

discspeed said:
josser said:

I agree personally with your #1 & 2 reasons. However, I really think #3 is just a matter of getting the feel of the Ion. It is not the first disc with a curved transition between flightplate and inner rim (Shark comes to mind) and their is still plenty of perpendicular sidewall rim to grab onto.

I think I try to work/wedge my fingers into that corner between flightplate and inner rim more than most people. I really work it in there as part of my getting a pre-throw grip.

With my finger length it was an impossible goal for me. I got the Ion to behave with the reduced power from snowy tees by not curling the index finger in the disc at all initially. I tried also not curling the finger in the disc at any point in the throw and found that it wasn't any better. So late throw trigger pull curling without max pinch power from the finger tip but rather from the outermost index finger joint up to the thumb was my cure for grip issues. No contact to the rough surface for me means no problem now. But come summer with more traction and power i may experience a need for added pinch power because of possible slip issues. Which may mean going back to a deeper index finger placement inside the disc. The texture may become an issue then.

Latest posts