• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Relay

I was referring to scuffing up the top of the flight plate not the bottom.

Haha, that makes no sense to me other than to give it some street cred look. Bottom rim affects LSS the most (bit of his) and the underside of the nose of the wing changes the HSS. I don't know what stuffing the top does... extra abrasions for more glide?

Haha, that makes no sense to me other than to give it some street cred look. Bottom rim affects LSS the most (bit of his) and the underside of the nose of the wing changes the HSS. I don't know what stuffing the top does... extra abrasions for more glide?

It takes the new disc smell off.

I have no idea how/why it works but it does. I've done it to every new disc I've bought to replace one that was broken in and it helps. It doesn't get it all the way there but usually will add .25-.5 to the turn and/or remove it from the fade.

I was referring to scuffing up the top of the flight plate not the bottom.

It takes the new disc smell off.

I have no idea how/why it works but it does. I've done it to every new disc I've bought to replace one that was broken in and it helps. It doesn't get it all the way there but usually will add .25-.5 to the turn and/or remove it from the fade.

Ok, ok, ok, whoa now. The top of the flight plate is... the top of the disc. You scuff a half inch in from the edge, all the way around? Do I have this right? First i'd heard about this technique. On an MVP, the top of the black gyro ring?

Ok, ok, ok, whoa now. The top of the flight plate is... the top of the disc. You scuff a half inch in from the edge, all the way around? Do I have this right? First i'd heard about this technique. On an MVP, the top of the black gyro ring?

The whole top of the disc. Rim and plate. One of the guys who doesn't post much anymore Aim for the Chains was the one i learned it from. Never done it with a file though. I like using a teepad or sidewalk. Quick and easy and I'm also not one of those guys who likes his discs to be pretty looking lol. So it never bother me to have a brand new disc get all scratched up

Last edited:
Hmmm I wonder if it helps soften the shoulder on the dome. Cool man, I hadn't heard that before..

Files for the bottom of disc, not the top of :) I started doing that on Lat64 discs because their flashing is ruthlessly sharp.

I don't think he's scuffing a 1/4" off, he means it takes .25 off the turn rating.

The whole top of the disc. Rim and plate. One of the guys who doesn't post much anymore Aim for the Chains was the one i learned it from. Never done it with a file though. I like using a teepad or sidewalk. Quick and easy and I'm also not one of those guys who likes his discs to be pretty looking lol. So it never bother me to have a brand new disc get all scratched up

Like 220 grit? Edit... nvm, you use concrete, lol.

So I am JUSt starting to get the hang of the Relay. I don't know why it's caused me so much difficulty, but that could have been some form flaws I've been working out. They added a new pin location and the Maverick turns and flattens in turn. Can't use that. Tried the Relay today and had a perfect shot 20' from the basket. It's on the edge of a 60 degree sloped hill that falls steep off to the right and down 15' below the basket. I skipped the TL right and down. Skipped the Maverick right and down. Emac Truth turnover was short, but the Relay hit it.

Was walking by the local sporting goods store and was shocked to see some MVP/Axiom discs on the shelf so went and checked out what they had. Found a beauty pink (my fav MVP color) Neutron 172g Relay. So stoked to finally get my hands on a Relay.

First off it feels really good in the hand. Champ Leopard was my first driver so this speed/shape is very familiar to me. I've been bagging a Pro Leopard for a while as well but on my heavily treed/rocky home course it is becoming a little too flippy pretty quick.

Liked the first throw. Went dead straight with a 75% shot. Put a little more pop on it and LOVED the flight! Released flat it has such a nice drifting high speed turn and the hook up at the end to put it right back on the release line. It straight up bombs on a hyzerflip and goes so far for a speed 6. I really love how easy it is to control at different power levels and how responsive it is to release angles.

Great disc! Instantly in the bag!

What has people's experience with beating in been? Classic MVP (Neutron anyway) where there is only minor changes after a few months of wear and then hold that spot forever?

I love the flight right now and really don't want it to change much. Should I be looking for a Cosmic to beat into the magic spot the fresh Neutron is at?

What has people's experience with beating in been? Classic MVP (Neutron anyway) where there is only minor changes after a few months of wear and then hold that spot forever?

I love the flight right now and really don't want it to change much. Should I be looking for a Cosmic to beat into the magic spot the fresh Neutron is at?

The one i have is from the first MVP Circuit Event in 2015 and was used pretty heavily at the many woods courses around here before my injury in '17/'18. It has hit many a tree. It's gained a little turn and lost pretty much all its fade with 300'+ power. It took 3yrs of heavy use to go from the from the 6 5 -1.5 1 when new to 6 5 -2 .5(maybe -2.5) that it is now... Plus, i also gave it the teepad treatment at the Circuit event that day which artificially aged it thru that breakin period MVP tend to have..

They also do really well as a roller disc if you have that shot in your arsenal...

Wouldn't hurt to get a cosmic.. I throw a lot of 165 relays, I had a cosmic 169 that was a real nice step up but in a crappy color so I dumped it on FB before I lost it. I'd say about 2+ yrs of hard use on my FR before it hit a change. And by change I mean just the tiniest turn at 3/4 flight but enough for me to clip some trees. So I try to keep a fresh(ish) one on hand. Since you don't have much weight to add cosmic is probably a good idea, same weight or max.

The relay is a disc that anchors my bag, it's nice to have a spare or 5..

It's a tough call though because it also lost some fade so.... It's nice in a different way, but really it's just a woodsy pender kinda problem.

Did you ever get a crave? I remember you bombing mine up 24...

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt to get a cosmic.. I throw a lot of 165 relays, I had a cosmic 169 that was a real nice step up but in a crappy color so I dumped it on FB before I lost it. I'd say about 2+ yrs of hard use on my FR before it hit a change. And by change I mean just the tiniest turn at 3/4 flight but enough for me to clip some trees. So I try to keep a fresh(ish) one on hand. Since you don't have much weight to add cosmic is probably a good idea, same weight or max.

The relay is a disc that anchors my bag, it's nice to have a spare or 5..

It's a tough call though because it also lost some fade so.... It's nice in a different way, but really it's just a woodsy pender kinda problem.

Did you ever get a crave? I remember you bombing mine up 24...

I'll probably just rock this one for a while and see how it seasons up. But if I happen to stumble into a Cosmic I'll snap it up.

I never picked up a Crave although I liked what I saw in my extremely small sample size. I'm sitting on a nice little stack of FR Legacy Rivals so just no need to mess with that slot.

I'll probably just rock this one for a while and see how it seasons up. But if I happen to stumble into a Cosmic I'll snap it up.

I never picked up a Crave although I liked what I saw in my extremely small sample size. I'm sitting on a nice little stack of FR Legacy Rivals so just no need to mess with that slot.

If the Cosmics start out as OS as people say, they would probably be too close to a River. Might have to give it the teepad treatment if you do get one.;)

I wouldn't say my cosmic was that OS, more like it just resisted the turn better. More like a mini volt or a crave that's 10g lighter. Or the way I thought it would fly, wolfey has more juice than me, it was cool to see what everyone was so fired up about.. Just a friggin crave laser! Low fade.

I love them, such a fun disc to throw.

Previously I was bagging a nice flat luster leopard3. Thrown with a shallow hyzer it will flip to flat, track a bit, with a slight fade. In reality very similar to the L3, but I think slightly longer. Not necessarily an understable thrower out of the box, more like a line carving machine.

My first one arrives this week, looking forward to it.

How pumped should I be?

They are pretty awesome in the woods, line carving machine is very accurate. The cosmic is a little beefy and different from stock neutron, less true to the numbers.

Relay is a bag anchor for me, great long distance drives, big anhyzer or straight but it also powers down short enough to be a stable mid. Especially since I like light ones. My buddy says they are a great hammer/OH disc too. Very usable understable/straight utility disc. My bags not very big but there's always a relay or two in it.

Last edited:

Latest posts