• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Shock

JimW said:
discspeed said:
The Shock is replacing my PDs.

This week :lol:

The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :eek: , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.

discspeed said:
JimW said:
discspeed said:
The Shock is replacing my PDs.

This week :lol:

The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :eek: , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.

In my relentless search for a fairway driver I love, I picked up all 3 MVP drivers today and played 3 rounds with them. I also have OLFs and PDs in my bag (they've been fighting with each other for months for a spot in my permanent summer bag, still not sure which I like better, but the Solf currently has the edge). While I looooved the Volt and Shock (jury is out on the Amp), they were nowhere near as long as the OLFs and PDs. Not sure how you see the MVP fairway drivers replacing the distance possible with a seasoned OLF or PD.

Am I missing something, or have I just not learned to throw the Volt and Shock yet as it was their first day in my hands?

And how do I know if I have a 1st or 2nd run Shock (sorry if I missed that info and question is redundant)?

discmonkey42 said:
Am I missing something, or have I just not learned to throw the Volt and Shock yet as it was their first day in my hands?

And how do I know if I have a 1st or 2nd run Shock (sorry if I missed that info and question is redundant)?

I would definitely throw them some more and see if the distance gap narrows. I've had PDs that I could throw farther than the Volt in the field, but for fairway driver type golf lines on the course I find them pretty interchangeable. The yellow champystar PDs I've had in my bag the longest do not glide too well, so the MVP drivers are easily as long or longer than those are. Depending on what weights you are throwing the MVP drivers in, perhaps you should go lighter. So far I've been liking their drivers 172-173 more than the max weights.

If your Shock was similar to your Volt then it is probably an early one, if it was considerably more HSS and LSS then it is probably a newer one.

discspeed said:
discmonkey42 said:

I would definitely throw them some more and see if the distance gap narrows. I've had PDs that I could throw farther than the Volt in the field, but for fairway driver type golf lines on the course I find them pretty interchangeable. The yellow champystar PDs I've had in my bag the longest do not glide too well, so the MVP drivers are easily as long or longer than those are. Depending on what weights you are throwing the MVP drivers in, perhaps you should go lighter. So far I've been liking their drivers 172-173 more than the max weights.

If your Shock was similar to your Volt then it is probably an early one, if it was considerably more HSS and LSS then it is probably a newer one.

Thanks. Yeah, the Shock I have definitely does not fade much more than the Volt and it has high speed turn very similar to my OLFs. Will have to pick one up on line to compare. All 3 drivers I bought are 170, so not a weight issue. I'll definitely throw the MVPs a bunch more and see how the distance gap is. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm finding the Shock to pretty much be MVP's EX. It is faster with a bit more range, but the flight is very similar. The new Shocks are comparable to the older clear KC EXs (overstable but not FB overstable) and the early ones are flying like SEXs.

I've been throwing a pair of 173 shocks for a couple of weeks now. They're more overstable than I thought they would be. Somewhere between a teebird and firebird I'd say, but much closer to the firebird. (It's tough for me to compare to the FB for sure, cause mine is seasoned. I have a new-ish Predator though, and that is certainly beefier than the shock. I can throw the same shots though by simply throwing on a slight hyzer line. I no longer carry the pred.) I throw them forehand, backhand and for thumbers. I thought the shock would flip with a forehand, but they seem to perform well. (I still trust my trident for this shot more.) For thumbers, they fly almost as far as anything else I have, with the exception of the Z flick and the XxX. (I have two champion whippets BTW. They are highly overrated for thumbers IMHO.)

I've just about had it with MVP's discs at this point. I picked up a Shock this weekend to toss around, and the damn thing might as well be a Roadrunner. If this keeps up I won't even look their way again. I was expecting the disc I've seen Mike tossing around, not this flippy heap o crap.

Jeronimo said:
I've just about had it with MVP's discs at this point. I picked up a Shock this weekend to toss around, and the damn thing might as well be a Roadrunner. If this keeps up I won't even look their way again. I was expecting the disc I've seen Mike tossing around, not this flippy heap o crap.

Yep, first Shock I tried was not stable. Second is a pig. Big difference from first run to second. I wouldn't judge the entire disc lineup on this, though. Not to mention that I think Mike C could post a video of him throwing pretty much any disc and it would make that disc look pretty damn good.

Pick up a Tangent or an Axis (but if you only did one, a Tangent). It will give you an entirely different perception of MVP. Their drivers are nice, and while in my bag now for trial may or may not stay there. Their mids, on the other hand, are pretty much there to stay.

discmonkey42 said:
Jeronimo said:

Yep, first Shock I tried was not stable. Second is a pig. Big difference from first run to second. I wouldn't judge the entire disc lineup on this, though. Not to mention that I think Mike C could post a video of him throwing pretty much any disc and it would make that disc look pretty damn good.

Pick up a Tangent or an Axis (but if you only did one, a Tangent). It will give you an entirely different perception of MVP. Their drivers are nice, and while in my bag now for trial may or may not stay there. Their mids, on the other hand, are pretty much there to stay.

I have probably 30 MVP discs at this point covering every new mold they've released. I have Ions that fly completely different from one another, Vectors that couldn't be more black and white in their stabilities, Amps that range from ridiculously useless to pretty damn nice, and Volts that are money and some that are rollers.

I am annoyed, my patience is thinning. All discs (from all manufacturers) need run #'s in the stamps, from now on.

But thanks for the info guys, I'll see if I can somehow find a newer run to try. Not an easy thing to do when all the shops around are mom & pops that have pretty low inventory turnovers.

Jeronimo said:
I am annoyed, my patience is thinning. All discs (from all manufacturers) need run #'s in the stamps, from now on.

This.
It's why I've had pretty much only Millennium drivers in my bag for the last 5 years.

It's tough pioneering molding techniques. There is a strong overall trend towards continued improvement fwiw.

I hear there is a guy with knowledge of and access to MVP discs who can get you what you want if you ask... :idea:

discmonkey42 said:
Jeronimo said:

This.
It's why I've had pretty much only Millennium drivers in my bag for the last 5 years.

Wait for Leopard to pop up and comment on how much Innova cares about the accuracy of those numbers...

discspeed said:
discmonkey42 said:
Jeronimo said:

This.

Wait for Leopard to pop up and comment on how much Innova cares about the accuracy of those numbers...
Innova turns the caring machine up extra high for this. That's how they make every single disc out of a run exactly the same. Luckily you just match the numbers and you're good to go!

This and other simplistic fantasies brought to you by some disc golf marketing guy.

Leopard said:
discspeed said:
discmonkey42 said:
Jeronimo said:

This.

Innova turns the caring machine up extra high for this. That's how they make every single disc out of a run exactly the same. Luckily you just match the numbers and you're good to go!

This and other simplistic fantasies brought to you by some disc golf marketing guy.
dope-exploding-head.jpeg

Newer ones can hold up to power and will not flip. I love my shock. Its no workhorse, and i maybe throw it 4 or 5 times per round, but if you use it for the right things it is awesome. I love it for forehands too. throw it nice and low and it flies really nice with a good skip at the end. or put some air under it and it will fade hard and spike

Latest posts