• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon DGC indefinitely closed

discNDav

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
from Facebook:

Nockamixon State Park

The disc golf course is closed effective immediately. Baskets will be taken out until the ash tree removal is completed. There is no timetable in place for reopening.

Please be respectful of this process!

SMH. Home of the 2005 Worlds and a highly rated course. Speaks to the devastation of the emerald ash borer, the worst natural disaster I have seen in my lifetime. Michigan forests and parks have been decimated by this tiny spawn of satan.

Damn. Have played over 300 courses worldwide and Nock is probably my favorite...certainly the one I'd choose to "move to my backyard" if my backyard was big enough to hold it!
Can only hope that what Kevin and Brian created there can be SOMEWHAT still there after all is said and done.

There's going to be a lot of highly rated courses throughout this region that will look very different in the next few years. The amount of trees already removed from Lincoln Ridge made a big difference and there's more to go. Idlewild is in the same boat.

Dammit, been on my wish list for a decade now and was finally going to get to play it in June as I drive thru on my bachelor party. Sad times.

Nooooooooo! Nocky is one of my absolute favorites. Just a gorgeous, challenging, fun course.

I spoke with the designer of The Preserve DGC which is just 3 miles away from Nocky on Tuesday. It's a very new course on the other side of the lake and was calling to make sure it was open/ready for play...back on subject he mentioned it's looking around 9 months out for Nocky. Closed indefinitely might not be the best title but yes it'll more than likely be 2020 before any of us play it again. They took the baskets out Tuesday 3/19 FWIW.

Well, I'm super-thankful to hear the news here first. Was considering a very special disc golf trip here this weekend, will now come up with a different plan.

There's going to be a lot of highly rated courses throughout this region that will look very different in the next few years. The amount of trees already removed from Lincoln Ridge made a big difference and there's more to go. Idlewild is in the same boat.

Osage is going to get hit pretty bad also. I remember Adam saying something like it is over 50% Ash out there. Most of the rest is a mixture of thorny trees, lol...

How much Ash do you have on your property?

Nocki is such a good course. It always was challenging mentally and physically haha.

Hopefully that 9 month window is true. I figured it would be years since its such a huge course and might be hard for the workers with all the terrain.

They have been clearing ash here in MD as well. I'm about 5 hours drive from nockamixon but it's the same region more or less. The crews here have been fairly quick aboutnit in our parks, felling goes fast, but the clearing of downed trees takes some time. 9 months seems a little tight, but I'm sure they are on it. Faster is cheaper so I'm sure they will be moving at a good pace.

Osage is going to get hit pretty bad also. I remember Adam saying something like it is over 50% Ash out there. Most of the rest is a mixture of thorny trees, lol...

How much Ash do you have on your property?

Just guessing based off what I see walking around I'd say I'm probably looking at about 15-20% ash overall. That said, there's some pockets that are mostly ash, and those are really gonna open up. Luckily I have a good overall mix with lots of oak, maple, hickory, black locust, and sycamore. Have some osage and black walnut too but to a much lesser extent.

Not to mention all the disc catching cedars.

Makes me wonder how many discs the cutters and clearers will find...

Yeah I've played a few. Just planning a trip with a few out-of-towers and was hoping to show them Noxi
Is this the VIP annual thing? If so I'm in Easton and would be interested in playing a round with you guys at my home course. ~30 minutes east of Jordan Creek. It's not the fanciest course around but we have a ton of elevation change that makes for a fun round.

This is the saddest thing I have heard in years. Nocky is my favorite disc location by a wide margin. I came here to see what the word on the web was since the course was closed today.

I sure hope they get it open again soon! And I hope the course is just as oppressively difficult once they are done!

Latest posts