• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships to Return in 2021...

Among the false equivalencies, are any sports that can be produced for TV, for an event-hungry TV audience, and thus generate millions (or more) in revenue.

If the PDGA could be reasonably certain that a fanless production would generate that sort of money, they'd doubtless find a way to do it.

Among the false equivalencies, are any sports that can be produced for TV, for an event-hungry TV audience, and thus generate millions (or more) in revenue.

If the PDGA could be reasonably certain that a fanless production would generate that sort of money, they'd doubtless find a way to do it.

...and any other sport where the vast majority of the people responsible for hosting/putting on the event GET PAID and do it as a FULL-TIME job!

Serious question (and I do not think PDGA addressed it):

With the moves, do all the same (as much as possible) logistics apply in 2021 as we would have had in 2020? Or do the 2021 regulations apply to all the events in 2021 at the original 2020 venues?

I am speaking specifically of the determination to make 2021 the first year of combined masters worlds, all pro masters+ and amateur masters+, with Am Worlds ONLY being MA1 & FA1. See https://www.pdga.com/news/amateur-masters-pro-masters-getting-combined-worlds-starting-2021.

Basically since I'll be 60 in 2021 I just want to know if I'll be in Florida or Tennessee (if I can hit the computer fast enough) -- or possibly BOTH!

They are almost certainly going to have to put off the combined Masters Worlds for a year. It's not the format that the hosts of the events bid on and they can't be expected to conform to something outside that. There are a lot of specifics of bidding on any given event that don't necessarily apply across the board.

...I guess that's a BOTH! :)

Like a zillion things in 2020---about .99zillion of which are more important---a lot of folks are going to have to live with disappointment.

The board's in an unenviable position, and whatever they do, there will be some people who lose out. I don't recall "pandemic contingencies" in any of their platforms when they ran for election, and I'm sure it isn't quite what they bargained for when they asked for the job.

Since Paige Pierce has only won worlds in odd years, and worlds is cancelled for this year, maybe she'll finally get her back-to-back championships without breaking her odd-years streak.

Since Paige Pierce has only won worlds in odd years, and worlds is cancelled for this year, maybe she'll finally get her back-to-back championships without breaking her odd-years streak.

Good point. It probably would've been easier this year if there was no Henna, Evaliina or Kristen though.

Not in 2020.

You can bet "your sweet bippy" (showing my age there), that the organizers of major events in NASCAR, NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, LPGA, ACL (Cornhole), UFC, Darts ,etc. are still getting paid in 2020. So it still holds that we can't compare ourselves to those sports.

Realistically what are the chances that travel won't be a factor without a vaccine in 2021?
Or any tournament ftm.
The PDGA Covid-19 rules and regulations are pretty strict now--hopefully will be a little less strict by 2021.
Can these TD's even plan for crowds at this point not having concrete guidelines in place?
Even with a vaccine I see 2021 being almost as messed up as 2020. Hope I am completely wrong.

Like a zillion things in 2020---about .99zillion of which are more important---a lot of folks are going to have to live with disappointment.

The board's in an unenviable position, and whatever they do, there will be some people who lose out. I don't recall "pandemic contingencies" in any of their platforms when they ran for election, and I'm sure it isn't quite what they bargained for when they asked for the job.

I'm not a kid asking for ice cream... I don't have to accept "no" as an answer. Worlds was ALWAYS a voluntary activity. If you don't want to expose yourself to COVID then don't attend. Nobody loses out, everyone gets to do exactly as they please!

Is snap-ching still around? I'm in the mood for a new governing body...

You can bet "your sweet bippy" (showing my age there), that the organizers of major events in NASCAR, NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, LPGA, ACL (Cornhole), UFC, Darts ,etc. are still getting paid in 2020. So it still holds that we can't compare ourselves to those sports.

You list a general statement of who is getting paid. All major organization have made major cuts regardless whether they deal with sports or not. They are not getting paid for content they have not produce to date.

Just one example the NFL Commissioner salary for 2020 is $0. Here is a report on the NFL offices. All for a sport that has seen zero losses in revenue or any cancellations to date.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/29/nfls-draft-party-comes-with-a-hangover/

For starters, the league will reduce the pay of all employees making $100,000 or more per year, with a five-percent cut for managers, a seven-percent drop for directors, a 10-percent decrease for vice presidents, a 12-percent reduction for senior vice presidents, and a 15-percent decline for executive vice presidents. (No employee making more than $100,000 will be reduced below $100,000.)

The league also will furlough "individuals in our workforce who are unable to substantially perform their duties from home and/or whose current workload has been significantly reduced." It's unclear who this affects, especially as the league enters a portion of the calendar in which workload is significantly reduced for obvious reasons.

And that's the aspect of this that likely will rub some league employees the wrong way. The business moved forward in the early days and weeks of the pandemic, without hesitation or limitation. The NFL conducted free agency and the draft without missing a beat. And now that the heavy lifting is done, workers who otherwise would be enjoying the most manageable months of the calendar will be getting the heave ho, at least temporarily.

You list a general statement of who is getting paid. All major organization have made major cuts regardless whether they deal with sports or not. They are not getting paid for content they have not produce to date.

Just one example the NFL Commissioner salary for 2020 is $0. Here is a report on the NFL offices. All for a sport that has seen zero losses in revenue or any cancellations to date.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/29/nfls-draft-party-comes-with-a-hangover/

"Commissioner" in the major sports is a different kind of title & job. More akin to our PDGA executive director. Players, coaches, and staffs may take a pay cut. And a 5-, 10-, 15% pay cut for administrators (in order for them all to keep a job) is way different from zero. Your quote even states many will still make over $100,000. However, there are no people PUTTING ON THE EVENTS in those sports who are doing it for free or next-to-nothing -- very unlike disc golf. Most, in fact, it is their FULL-TIME job. Many it is a part-time job and they are paid by the job. Convince me otherwise, and I'll hear your arguments. But otherwise, I say, we cannot compare our situation in disc golf to those sports -- at least not in parallel to our sport coming back at the same time and without seam.

Last edited: