• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

poison ivy

I'm a woodworking hobbyist a well. I am fairly new into the hobby, but I'm learning fast and really enjoy it. One of these days I will try my hand at crafting my own disc.

i thought of that too,but i cant find someone with a big enough leith.what kind of wood would you use.oak is heavy,i bett that a Tiger Striped Maple would at least look really cool with all that fighure,,,yaaaaaaa....:hfive:

they made wooden trophy discs at the "Moraine Challenge" in Valpo, IN at Roger's Lakewood. pretty sure they do it every year

For years iv played in jeans and light boots,,this year my o'l lady bought me shorts like you boys wear,so i had to wear them. Comfy i do admite,but got a good dose of poison on my legs. The question is what preventitive maintanince do you use [ other than watching where i step]long socker socks,lotions etc...

guy told me (that was in this big doubles game with us) that he uses purell or whatever hand sanitizer to wipe off his discs everytime he thinks he might have crashed though some ivy. sais that he hasn't got it since.

I think most get it from the oil of the plant being on there bags and discs (discs cutting right through the plant). So they constantly see a reoccurence of it. At least in my case that is. Kept getting it on my neck -- where my strap used to sit.

if you shower after a game before getting into new clothes or sitting on the couch or getting into bed, usually your fine. The oil stays on stuff for up to like 3 years if not washed. If you wash the oil off you're body and disc equipment. you won't get a bad case of it, or a case of it at all, if your not exposed to it for so long (reactions always vary of course). rash usually shows up after about a day or so...that's how i try to pinpoint where i got the ivy and be more careful around it.

Greenbriar Community Center and Gateway Park West are some of the worst places I've seen it.

I haven't had it for about a year and half, yet step through it all the time. I was my discs and bag about once a week as well.

Plus.....it really helps to know what the plant looks like.

Last edited:
poisonivy8-11b.jpg

It takes on a few different looks like a tree, vine, small shrub, but all-in-all look really similar.

3 leaves....2 connected right at the stem in the same spot and the 3rd protruding out from the center of those on it's own little stem. Stems also look redish green most of the time.

The old crusted vines you see rapping up trees with the little red hairs looking like they hold the vine to the tree are old poison ivy vines by the way.

Last edited:
I grow really long leg hair so the ivy doesn't ever touch my skin. that and i think i just have a great tollerance to the stuff from crashing through woods trout fishing since i was 5 or so. Some people are very susceptible to it, others (like me) couldn't get a rash from it if they used it as a towel.

One thing they use to teach in boy scouts is the leaves look like a hand in a mitten.

yeah, i'm terrible at spotting the stuff (so says the giant red rash on both of my legs i'm scratching right now), but my tip-off is those jagged edges as you say look like a mitten.

the 3-leaf pattern and red-green stems are just confirmation to my eyes.

/wish i had a plane and enough herbicide to eradicate that shiat from all of st. louis county. :thmbdown:

yeah, i'm terrible at spotting the stuff (so says the giant red rash on both of my legs i'm scratching right now)

That puts you and me in the same boat. I use to get the stuff all the time and really bad when I was younger. So bad that it required a trip to the docs for subscription. I just got it for the first time in years and i remember why i hate the stuff.. Luckily i dont think this time will require a trip to the docs..

One thing I was always told by my doc is to scrub under your nails really good. The oil can get under your finger nails and this can cause you to spread it more with out realizing it.

I recently saw my first ever sign that said very matter of factly: "POISON IVY" at Deerfield Park in Mt Pleasant, MI. It was almost as if it was merely on exhibit as if akin to a sign that would say: "LADY'S SLIPPERS." Giggle. I thought that was awfully nice of them to warn me. I generally try to high step through the jungle like i am runnin into the endzone with the pigskin. Always leery of it being on my discs though. So far so good. Never had it. Props on the tecnu. Good lookin out! Poison ivy doesn't sound sweet...

Latest posts