• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Pro Destroyer or Star Wraith

Dynamic

Hey I've been playing for a little over a year and have recently been cleaning up my form and getting a much smoother pull (which has gained me considerable distance) and have recently started adding higher speed drivers to the bag. I kinda jumped on the Destroyer wagon but quickly realized that the only plastic I could throw it in was Pro. DX isn't something I'm interested in and the other plastics tend to be much more overstable than I can handle. I get my Pro Destroyers out to around 430' with decent turn but I'm noticing they don't take long to get too beat in. I was wondering if maybe the Star Wraith would be better for me since it's a tick slower and the Star will last longer? Any suggestions are welcome but I'm definitely sticking with one of these (Wraith vs Destroyer) so try not to substitute lol.

Hey I've been playing for a little over a year and have recently been cleaning up my form and getting a much smoother pull (which has gained me considerable distance) and have recently started adding higher speed drivers to the bag. I kinda jumped on the Destroyer wagon but quickly realized that the only plastic I could throw it in was Pro. DX isn't something I'm interested in and the other plastics tend to be much more overstable than I can handle. I get my Pro Destroyers out to around 430' with decent turn but I'm noticing they don't take long to get too beat in. I was wondering if maybe the Star Wraith would be better for me since it's a tick slower and the Star will last longer? Any suggestions are welcome but I'm definitely sticking with one of these (Wraith vs Destroyer) so try not to substitute lol.

Yes, a Star Wraith should work for you. There is probably a weight that is in the 'sweet spot' for you; once you find that, things should be good for you.

Were I looking at those options I would think a star wraith at about 168 would be beautiful. There were some AJ star Destroyers that wore into what you want but it would be such a crapshoot to find one it would be hard.

If you want to branch out, look at a Fusion Tresspass, or a 160's Octane. They are some of the best Destroyer light type discs out there.

Star Wraith is a good substitute, and Gstar Destroyer is a bomber. The Wraith may fade a little sooner initially, I'm not sure if that's typical/how long it will take to beat that out. But the HSS should be what you want. Trespass is also the same stability ballpark as these.

In before the fizz Volt comments...:thmbup:

Star Wraiths should start out pretty solid for you and beat into a sweet spot within a few months of regular use and then stay there for quite a while. G* Destroyer if you want that process to speed up. G* Destroyers hold up pretty well for BH shots in my experience. They tend to lose some torque resistance (like the Pro Destroyers also do) but if your form is clean, you should see some very nice results with a G* if you don't mind the softer feel. The bonus is that if you lose it, you don't have to wait so long to beat another one in.

Thanks for the responses. The G* my friend had did fly just as you all have described but I can't really bring myself to like the plastic. Its just too floppy. I do think the 165-168 Star Wraith might be worth a try though.

^My thoughts too^

Some destroyers are total beef and some not so much. I'd say get a star destroyer at around 169-172 and it should get turn in a month if you have that power. I've found that destroyers with a large dome tend to be more OS, so find one with a moderate dome and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Weight change in that range doesn't matter with Destroyers IME. My flippiest Destroyer is a 175g and my most OS driver is a 168g Destroyer. Look at PLH/wing height, and often dome correlates to that (domier often is higher wing and more OS in Destroyers). Of course if you find one in that weight range with a low PLH then that is a great bet.

Well I may have had an unlucky experience cause I bought 2 Star Destroyers (McBeth 4x I believe) and they was both very beefy. 171g and 168g. I'm trying to avoid spending a ton on the wrong selection. Didn't know for sure if the Star Wraith was a good replacement or if I should try to go for Star Destroyers in a specific wieght?

Id be far more concerned about the shape of a Destroyer over the weight.
Look for a newer one, embossed with DESTROYER (no factory ink), and a mild dome (not poppy or flat).

Once you have found a few of those in the 167-172 range at your local shop, lay them all on the table and pick the two with the lowest PLH. That should be a good starting point for easy to replace bombers.

I would think Trespass, Sword, or Flow would be in that ballpark, and they seem to glide/fly farther for me- believe me, once you go Swedish, you never go back :)

tuff question. buying a bunch of discs and laying them on a table to find plh. what the **** is this?

I thought throwing them was the answer. need to go to disc plh school..

Lots of good suggestions above.
And, I don't see anything wrong with just going with more Pro Destroyers, since they are working well for you. If you are willing to buy a new one periodically, you would quickly have a really nice cycle of them going.
By all means, try your favorite discs in all the plastics. Just remember that you already know that Pro Destroyers are really good.

I was just a reading a blog about how the only thing you should think when you bag a disc is "Hell Yes" or no. If the pro destroyer is already bombing for you and your happy with your game sometimes the best thing to do is ride that for a while. I myself fall victim to the "they're had to be a better disc" mentality" but sometimes it's good to remember that what you have already works. If you focus on getting better with the type of disc you know, that skill can be transferred to any new wold/plastic down the line. If your wanting a "better" version of the disc you have, sometimes it's really getting better acquainted with what you already have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id be far more concerned about the shape of a Destroyer over the weight.
Look for a newer one, embossed with DESTROYER (no factory ink), and a mild dome (not poppy or flat).

Once you have found a few of those in the 167-172 range at your local shop, lay them all on the table and pick the two with the lowest PLH. That should be a good starting point for easy to replace bombers.

Not necessarily with Destroyers only but I've started looking for those 'mild domed' discs from Innova, they just fly better over there board flat or pop top counterparts.