• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaving cream design and Results

Thank you bmxpunk

Looking forward to the next try. My 5 year old grandson was really amazed at how the disc turned out. He wants to give it a try. I' ll fix the plate and load the eye dropper and let him create.

Alrighty ~ my first attempt ~ now I keep my fingers crossed that I can correctly get the images on this post.

drkstr, I would say you nailed it! Nice dye, i'm sure you can't wait to see what comes out of the next one. :thmbup:

I know that there are technique and "how to" forums about this, but I don't frequent those topics much. I'll just ask here.

I've only done a couple simple full, single color, RIT dyes in hot water. So is it safe for me to assume that you don't have to heat the shaving cream in any way at all?

I know that there are technique and "how to" forums about this, but I don't frequent those topics much. I'll just ask here.

I've only done a couple simple full, single color, RIT dyes in hot water. So is it safe for me to assume that you don't have to heat the shaving cream in any way at all?

yes no heat required. may make a mess of things if heat was involved. if the dye is already mixed you are good to go.

A little something I whipped together for a friends' trip up to Maine, a stencil/marble combination on a Westside Tournament King.

kingofthemainiacs.jpg

Like Max, I have some trouble with the eye dropper. What other devices do you all use? I was thinking about small cake decorating utensils ~ something to apply a steady even line in some cases. Hmmmm.....I see a small rosetta with thin tendrils drawn out of it with the toothpick.....we'll try that next time.

Great job, Max! I think I've read about people trying those generic ketchup/mustard bottles. Not sure if they would work well though.

Like Max, I have some trouble with the eye dropper. What other devices do you all use? I was thinking about small cake decorating utensils ~ something to apply a steady even line in some cases. Hmmmm.....I see a small rosetta with thin tendrils drawn out of it with the toothpick.....we'll try that next time.
A baker's frosting funnel works pretty well- the downside is that it becomes a pretty big pain in the ass to change colors. Use the thinnest tip you can find. I've also used a syringe I had lying around from my wisdom tooth surgery years ago (no needle, open hole on the business end), which speeds up the process a little but reduces precision.

If you go with the baker's funnel, you'll want to leave your dye/cream mixture a little bit thicker than usual, else it will pour out of the funnel instead of allowing you to squeeze it out.

We used to use plastic syringes for science class in middle and high school for experiments. Actually they were better being used as squirt guns! :p

They had pretty small openings in them. I wonder if they would work... and where you would get them. I guess a school supply store? I don't know what else that they're used for.

I've used eye droppers, pipettes, or little 4 oz "hair dye" bottles, I've also applied a dab w/a spoon & spread it around using a paint brush.

That's the great thing w/the shaving crème process - there is really no "wrong" way to do it!

easiest (and cheapest) thing is a plastic sandwich bag. fill it with shaving cream, then cut a small corner off the bag. now just squeeze the bag and boom, 2 cent drawing tool. use one for every color, cut the corner off bigger or smaller as you please.

You can get syringes at walmart. They are used for giving children medicine. That's what I use. Works quite well.

thanks for all the application suggestions. I'll do some experimenting when we return from Calif.
bmxpunk is correct ~
"That's the great thing w/the shaving crème process - there is really no "wrong" way to do it!

I've been having really weak results mixing the idye poly with the shaving cream before dying Z plastic. Seems only to stick well if I put down all the shaving cream THEN drop concentrated dye on top and not really stir it in much at all.

what could I do to get it to set better? letting it sit 3 hours or 12 didn't affect the take much.

Z plastic for whatever reason doesn't like shaving cream. You have to let the discs it over 24 hours. they will take the dye but don't expect to get DanHoward results.

Latest posts