• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaving cream design and Results

Z plastic for whatever reason doesn't like shaving cream. You have to let the discs it over 24 hours. they will take the dye but don't expect to get DanHoward results.

ooo snap.

It likes acetone/detergent dye tho right?? Thats what I really want to do it spin designs.... Just order another 10pack of Z :doh:

^^^Yes, But it still takes significantly longer to dye Champ type plastic. Especially with detergent. Your times won't be much different than shaving cream.

I have died around 15 discs mostly successful dyes with the occasional bleed here and there. I am going to try shaving cream tonight for the first time. How do you keep it from melting? Do you leave it in the refrigerator for 24 hours? Or just out at room temperature?

Room temp - you will see some sinking/"melting" - but it doesn't affect the overall design. Just make sure you set your plate on some newspaper, a bigger plate, etc, to keep any sc spillage off surfaces you don't want dye on.

Room temp is fine just keep it away from anything that will disturb it.
As far as melting I have left a disc in for 24 hours once and it was fine

Heres some of my new ones:thmbup:

Attachments

• anode.JPG
    anode.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 246
  • volt.JPG
    volt.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 255
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 288
From trying to marble dye discraft z plastic with idye poly I can tell you red is the only color besides black that actually takes well. This disc has blue behind red. 3 dyes, 2 trys with blue then red on top. Tried torquoise over red and it didn't take at all.
Sorry for ****ty pic.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 171
Heres some of my new ones:thmbup:

Those all look cool!!! But the first two, especially, look like they'd be buggers to find in the woods.

Your discs actually got me thinking. How much do you regular dyers take into consideration the colors when dyeing "throwers?" Do you look at your color options differently if you're not planning on throwing them yourself? Just wondering what you folks think. Thanks!

Second SC dye, First with Barbesol+water bed

A few done last night, 9 hours in barbasol+water mixture for the bed, and old RIT dyes (scarlet, purple, navy and teal). The SC bed was a bit more watery than I would have liked, especially on the prodiscus one (and the camera doesn't do it justice, it looks good in the sun - was a light purple/grey clear disc) - it sank and bled significantly... would have liked to see the sharp pattern, but I have more discs. Also have to give credit for the TeeDevil's design to Jax11 on that sweet stingray.

Attachments

• IMG-20130603-00508.jpg
    IMG-20130603-00508.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG-20130604-00525.jpg
    IMG-20130604-00525.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG-20130604-00527.jpg
    IMG-20130604-00527.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 248
Those all look cool!!! But the first two, especially, look like they'd be buggers to find in the woods.

Your discs actually got me thinking. How much do you regular dyers take into consideration the colors when dyeing "throwers?" Do you look at your color options differently if you're not planning on throwing them yourself? Just wondering what you folks think. Thanks!

I still throw all of mine ! Yeah they are harder to see sometimes and I dont throw them near water at all.As far as colors go I like to look at pictures of space like nebulas and such.
Then I try to get it as close as I can

A few done last night, 9 hours in barbasol+water mixture for the bed, and old RIT dyes (scarlet, purple, navy and teal). The SC bed was a bit more watery than I would have liked, especially on the prodiscus one (and the camera doesn't do it justice, it looks good in the sun - was a light purple/grey clear disc) - it sank and bled significantly... would have liked to see the sharp pattern, but I have more discs. Also have to give credit for the TeeDevil's design to Jax11 on that sweet stingray.

Tee Devil looks great, the colors work really well! Thanks for the shout out.

If I'm dying for myself I tend to be very careful with color selection. Because I hate holding up play looking for a disc. If I'm dying for someone else I dye what they ask me to dye. However occasionally I just dye something that tends to be hard to find simply because I like the design.

Thanks for the info, folks. Now I have a question. To start, I much prefer my discs to be as bright as possible. I love "day-glo" yellow or green and bright pink, especially. Bright blues are OK as is safety orange. This especially applies to my drivers and mids. Here's my dilemma.

picture.php

The QOLF on the right is the one that I'm talking about. This is a backup to a couple of day-glo yellow QOLFs that I throw regularly. I'd like to cycle this one in to the rotation but only throw it during field practice currently due to the bland color. I'm open to suggestions on what would brighten this one up and might just try this shaving cream technique for fun. Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

JimB. If it was me and my whole purpose was to make the disc visible I would just hot dip it in fuchsia. If you can't find that or really want to try shaving cream. Go with the brightest colors you can find. marbling tends to make a disc a little harder to find because it breaks up the shape of the disc unless you use vivid colors.

Not the best results but I had fun, definitely will be giving this some more thought and creativity next attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_20130604_173027_484.jpg
    IMG_20130604_173027_484.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20130604_213521_895.jpg
    IMG_20130604_213521_895.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20130605_165115_048.jpg
    IMG_20130605_165115_048.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 194
JimB. If it was me and my whole purpose was to make the disc visible I would just hot dip it in fuchsia. If you can't find that or really want to try shaving cream. Go with the brightest colors you can find. marbling tends to make a disc a little harder to find because it breaks up the shape of the disc unless you use vivid colors.

I bought some RIT a couple of years ago and only ever dyed dyed two plain discs. I'll have to see what I have... fuscia might be one of the colors. That's kind of what I was thinking and just wanted confirmation. Although I might just try something a little different just for fun.

Latest posts