• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

Jesterian

Par Member
I've been playing in NB 574's for quite a while now, but although the soles are single piece (required for a shoe to hold up while being pivoted on) they come loose fairly early. Rough, because those things are super comfortable. They're also about $55 for a pair.

I am looking for something along the same lines. A lightweight tennis shoe, that's cheap and durable. Single piece soles of course.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

I played in a pair NB minimus shoes for the past couple of years(Multi-Sport Minimus). This year, I discovered the Columbia Conspiracy Razor. They have a Vibram'ish type rubber sole, but I want to say these aren't a one piece sole. They are lightweight, seem to be durable and can be found for a price ranging from $29.99 to $86.99. I bought two pair for $35 each.

I've been playing in some $20 Wal-Mart trail running shoes. Rugged and durable enough for hiking around all different terrain in all weather conditions. The previous 2 pairs have lasted me about 4-5 months each. For the amount of wear I put on them, that's a good bargain! Plus, if I'm only spending $20 on dedicated disc golf shoes, I don't get upset when they get all muddy or I step in a creek.

I've been using 574's for years myself, then switched to a pair of Nike Dunks low..I love how you don't have to worry about the sole coming lose at the toe. I also just invested in some Oboz waterproof hikers, they have been the best investment I've made in years. Now I have no worries about wet feet, and playing in the snow or rain.

Patagonia Drifter A/C's are the way to go! Pricey up front yes but the shoes have lasted me for 3 years. Over the course of the 3 years I've been using the shoes I've been able to occasionally search clearance racks and found myself 2 back ups for $50 a piece. Great in all weather.

I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

Big 5 always has good deals on hiking shoes/boots. I'm a big guy, 375, and they last me over a year, about 15 months. That's continuous use. I'm currently only wearing those shoes that I designate for disc golf for disc golf. I'm guessing that time will easily double or triple.

I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

stores like marshals, tj maxx, Burlington coat factory etc always have some good deals on shoes. Even been seeing merrells and the like there at $40ish. Definitely agree with mash though if you don't mind slightly used I would buy work boots there for some guys who would always show up to jobs in tennis shoes for the similar price of $5. Once in while you could find a the hard or steel toe even!

The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

I still keep a pair of waterproof shoes around (my current ones are Merrells), I just make them last a lot longer by only using them on days when the waterproofing is necessary.

I picked up a pair of these for $55 at a Merrell outlet store this weekend, looks like they are currently the same price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Verterra-Sport-Trail-Running/dp/B00HF4T9Q0

Super comfortable and lightweight. These will be great for dry conditions. Sticking with the expensive gore-tex shoes for winter/spring. It's worth it to stay dry.

Merrell sent me a pair of those as warranty replacements for a pair of Proterras (which were much better overall, but wore through at both pinky toes within a month). The soles on these Verterras do not hold up to DG. The edges on the knobbly soles catch on the teepads and start to peel away from the layer below instantly. Inside edge of the trailing foot was gone within a few rounds. They are great comfortable shoes, but they will not survive disc golf.

hmm that's bad news. Sounds like the Merrell warranty is pretty decent though.

I tend to be easier on shoes than most people here, I think. Most people complain about Salomon durability but I've never had an issue through maybe 6 pair. I just got the Merrells because it seemed like such a good deal.

They're super comfortable. I wear them a lot. They're great shoes. They, like most shoes, just don't deal very well with my toe-dragging. I need shoes where the sole wraps around onto the side.

I'm pretty much at Teva Riva eVents when it's wet and cheap skate shoes when its dry.

The Merrells warranty is great but I'm tired of them being hit or miss in the quality dept. They're DG use only and I make them last forever but I'm getting too good at using Shoe Goo if you know what I mean.

I still keep a pair of waterproof shoes around (my current ones are Merrells), I just make them last a lot longer by only using them on days when the waterproofing is necessary.
^ this. When it's dry, I just wear the running shoes I would normally knock around in.

The last couple of pairs of shoes I've bought are Reebok Work N Cushion Walking shoes for about $43 at Amazon. They last about 8 months and are waterproof and like the name says, cushiony. What sold me though was Velcro straps. Yeah, laugh now but old age is creeping up on you, too.:)

Bought this exact pair in-store early last fall at the same clearance price. I won't claim them to have the most cushion-y insole, but they're sturdy, have a great tread, and keep my feet dry. Waterproof in the dew and in a couple inches of standing water for me, anyways. And at the price I'm not worried about messing them up. I imagine the clearance price is due to the bright lime green color....

http://www.kmart.com/everlast-reg-m...67762412P&kpid=035W006587544001&mktRedirect=y

Seems like shoes made for tennis use a more durable rubber. I tried NB 696 and they held up well except the interior failed way early.

What's this new spongy material soles are being made from today? It looks like it will tear apart in chunks.

Last edited:
Merrell shoes fall apart.

I just got these

3042049-p-2x.jpg

for 35 bucks.
Not sure how thier gonna hold up to my pivot, and forehand foot dragging, but at least I'm gonna look fly while I'm doin' it. :D