• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how can a fat non smoker be a better image than a slim smoker???

exactly. I think fat people walking around play DG at a championship reflects poorly on the sport, moreso than smoking. To outsiders, it will seem like 'oh wow look at that fat guy playing, this sport must not be too hard. I guess it's not a real sport.'

As much as I hate to give this out 99% of the time, this definitely is a 1% situation:

Smoking is a vice, it is a choice.

Obesity is in some cases a disease and there's nothing people can do about it.

Banning smoking at a sanctioned event is a health-conscious and image-conscious choice. Banning fat people from an event is a discriminatory practice.

That argument is hands down one of the dumbest things I've heard on DGCR.

As much as I hate to give this out 99% of the time, this definitely is a 1% situation:

Banning smoking at a sanctioned event is a health-conscious and image-conscious choice. Banning fat people from an event is a discriminatory practice.

ditto

I agree with the stupidity of the argument.

But I do not agree with the statement of smoking is a choice or vice.

Yes it was a vice and choice in the beginning, but it has been scientifically proven that nicotine is more addictive than the majority of heavy drugs.(meth, heroin, coke)

That would make it much more than a vice for some of the competitors that made the mistake of starting smoking when young. Thats like taking a heroin addict and throwing locking them into a room. Most will die with out proper treatment. Smoking you wont die, but its a very real physical change being forced onto them. I still hold out the argument that most professional athletes are allowed to smoke out side of camera view.... And to ban the easiest and most logical replacements is a slap in the face.

So obesity is healthier than smoking? Just like anybody can quit smoking, anybody can lose weight. There are exceptions to both rules, but much of it boils down to willpower. There are a few threads here dealing with quitting smoking AND losing weight. This also has almost nothing to do with the PDGA being health conscious, and more to do with image. The banning of e-cigs confirms that.

Check out the landfill... There have been some great ones!

I hate this thread, but work is boring. So here I am again.:doh:

exactly. I think fat people walking around play DG at a championship reflects poorly on the sport, moreso than smoking. To outsiders, it will seem like 'oh wow look at that fat guy playing, this sport must not be too hard. I guess it's not a real sport.'

That's pretty moronic. I'm sure none of the fat linemen playing in the NFL would appreciate that remark.

considering a quarter of the people in this thread are probably over 200 lbs and not winning any beauty pageants, I am surprised we are so judgmental.

Yeah, this is basically a religion/politics thread.

Thats like taking a heroin addict and throwing locking them into a room. Most will die with out proper treatment.
Error...99.99% would not die assuming their health is not otherwise comprised, but they will all want to die. Alcoholics are many more times likely to die in that situation and they would all want to die.

I agree with the stupidity of the argument.

But I do not agree with the statement of smoking is a choice or vice.

Yes it was a vice and choice in the beginning, but it has been scientifically proven that nicotine is more addictive than the majority of heavy drugs.(meth, heroin, coke)

That would make it much more than a vice for some of the competitors that made the mistake of starting smoking when young. Thats like taking a heroin addict and throwing locking them into a room. Most will die with out proper treatment. Smoking you wont die, but its a very real physical change being forced onto them. I still hold out the argument that most professional athletes are allowed to smoke out side of camera view.... And to ban the easiest and most logical replacements is a slap in the face.

The PDGA is asking them to stop for 3 hours not quit cold turkey so no one is going to die.

only if there was a way to use nicotine without smoking.

feldberg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts