• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Speed 9-10 Drivers

If you have access to Discraft, go with the Avenger (much like a PD speed and stability wise, more glide though) and the Avenger SS (flies like a faster Sidewinder). Very good discs for a variety of skill levels and available in many plastics, FLX's are my favorite.

The PD trifecta is great and also consider the gateway apache for the straight to slightly understable compliment

CPD, SPD and PPD. The PPD is straight out of the box and breaks in to a really nice turnover disc. The SPD won't flip but breaks into a really long straight flyer with reliable fade. The CPD starts out nice and overstable and can handle a good strong headwind even after significant wear.

This. Nothing like the confidence of having an entire spectrum of stabilities that all feel and throw the exact same.

I'm just now figuring out what the gospel is for the PD. This IMO is the perfect set-up for speed 10 drivers and Discmania has this nailed.

PD in all 3 plastics.

P-PD - Throw it flat for straight shots with very small fade
S-PD - Throw flat for straight shots with greater fade
C-PD - Throw flat and watch it fly like a Firebird.

TD in both plastics

S-PD - Hyzerflip for straight shots or thrown flat/anny for easy flex shots
C-PD - Straightest disc in my bag and it goes far

TD2 - Pretty much a faster sidewinder.

All 3 of these discs have me covered for this speed range and they are easy to power down too.

Alright, I have decided to just go with 1 mold that can (hopefully) cover multiple stabilities. Based on recommendations here, my own research, and experience here are the molds I'm considering:

PDs
Saints
Avengers
Apaches
Valkyries

So, if anyone throws those, fill me in. What to do you like/dislike about them. Can they cover wind duties all the way to beat-turnover duties? Just food for thought, I HATE Champion/Z type plastic and would prefer not to throw it.

Edit: Also, I am more worried about consistent distance than I am about covering EVERY stability. I would like a mold that would have some utility, but I'm more worried about controllable distance for my ~325'+ arm.

Last edited:
Alright, I have decided to just go with 1 mold that can (hopefully) cover multiple stabilities. Based on recommendations here, my own research, and experience here are the molds I'm considering:

PDs
Saints
Avengers
Apaches
Valkyries

So, if anyone throws those, fill me in. What to do you like/dislike about them. Can they cover wind duties all the way to beat-turnover duties? Just food for thought, I HATE Champion/Z type plastic and would prefer not to throw it.

You can't go wrong with the PD's.

I didn't believe in it at first,but trust me get the PD in all 3 plastics. It is by far one of the best discs in my bag.

And if you want something that turns over straight out of the box try a TD2.

X Avengers are excellent (in fact, X plastic is the only plastic i like them in). For me they go straight with a reliable fade at the end. They have decent glide and they work well for me in moderate wind and when thrown forehand. But, I max at around 300' both forehand and backhand, so your mileage may vary depending on how far you throw.

I'm loving the Fury. Basically what the Valk wishes it could be....and for wind fighting I'm currently auditioning the Tsunami. Really liking it, kind of like a Predator (yes I know it's the old mold Pred) that has less stability and more glide.

Echoing the PDs.

Beasts are good too, under-used discs for slower arm players IMO.

If you are going only one mold, then PD's are where its at. Extremely versatile across the plastic spectrum.

Try out the Latitude 64 Saint....can't go wrong with either Gold line or Opto.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

My buddy found a saint and we have never seen a Latitude before hand. We are ready to buy some now, they seem sick.

CPD, SPD and PPD. The PPD is straight out of the box and breaks in to a really nice turnover disc. The SPD won't flip but breaks into a really long straight flyer with reliable fade. The CPD starts out nice and overstable and can handle a good strong headwind even after significant wear.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I carry 1 C-PD, 1 S-PD, 2 P-PDs, and 1 S-TD2.

Few remarks from a player who switched from PDs to Saints last season.

Pros:
-Far better plastic, Latitude plastic is far superior in durability and feel compared to Innova's. The only plastic I really enjoyed PDs was the old Pro (P-PD).
-Better glide
-More controllable on low-lines without fade
-Consistency

Cons:
-Windfighting abilities, the S-PD/C-PD will cut through some major headwinds

Just bought myself a few Saints more hoping that the new RGL would be more stable than my sparkle opto's and GLs.

I have a fleet of Valks I was going to use for this
But I just can't seem to stop using my saints and fury
So there the valks sit (except my beat DX glow valk for turnovers)

Few remarks from a player who switched from PDs to Saints last season.

Pros:
-Far better plastic, Latitude plastic is far superior in durability and feel compared to Innova's. The only plastic I really enjoyed PDs was the old Pro (P-PD).
-Better glide
-More controllable on low-lines without fade
-Consistency

Cons:
-Windfighting abilities, the S-PD/C-PD will cut through some major headwinds

Just bought myself a few Saints more hoping that the new RGL would be more stable than my sparkle opto's and GLs.

You forgot another "con": Doesn't offer nearly the range of shots across plastics as the PD.