• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standstill Throwing and Distance instructional?

Would a standstill instructional be something you are interested in?

• yes

Votes: 156 90.7%
  • no

Votes: 16 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will take a while for me to figure exactly what I want to cover, and the best way to do that before filming anything, but now I know that I will get something made. Thanks for all the responses everyone. I sure hope Im able to successfully make something helpful.

I played a mini in Irving TX, Fritz Park, about a year or two ago. A guy on my card was throwing 300+ flat footed consistantly and accurately. He won Masters that day. He was able to put enough on a DX Destroyer to keep it flat and straight until near the end where it faded slightly.

Sorry, I can not agree. A good x-setp certainly adds a additional 30% distance.

That said, in my last tournament in the mountains I had to throw alot from a standstill and I since decided to practice it ^^ Would be interested in a video about it, even though I think I got it down quite nicely in the last week.

He didn't say a good x-step wouldn't add distance. He said you don't need to to get good D. You aren't really disagreeing with that he said.

I do a standstill, mostly because I currently lack (patience) coordination of arm swing to go with a full out run-up. I usually start facing away from my target line and set my plant/pivot foot resting lightly on my toes/ball of foot. I then spring my weight forward (backward, but forward toward target) fully onto my pivot foot to get fast weight shift while rapidly spinning around to deliver the disc RHBH. I start my arm motion just before I spring into action. I'll get a lot more out of my drives in time and with practice (more than my twice a week rounds with my friend). Always room for improvement as they say, so I welcome someone else's input/advice.

Last edited:
I do use some standstill drives (I overdrove a 230' uphill hole yesterday standstill with a buzzz) but for the most part, the X-step/short run-up is the best drive in my opinion. The form is slightly different, but not enough to make it worth putting a lot of time into instructional videos for it. If you're throwing your putters 400', then maybe you should be using some standstill throws for shorter holes. On the other hand, if you're throwing 400' with your putters, then you probably have been playing enough to know how to do standstill throws already! GCR_Russell would be an exception to this rule because of complications with his knee, but for the most part, I'd say that this holds true across the board.

How are we coming along with this? I want to work on my standstill b/c I'm tired of having bad throws b/c of uneven ground messing up my x-step.

Seriously.. I constantly find myself on extremely hilly terrain here and need better standstill pointers. Does the goal of this video still exist?

Ok, I realize that I pretty much bashed the idea 3 posts ago, but 90% of the people who have voted on this poll have said that they'd like to see it, so I'd say go for it! Don't let my wet blanket spoil your enthusiasm!

Around here, tree hits are common that can leave you 250' from the basket after your initial drive. Then with the ferns, ground cover,etc., getting a run-up in the fairway can be a rare thing, so we are accustomed to throwing from a stand-still. I'm all for seeing how you can get 400' out of it, cause I can't.

i dont take any steps on my drives, my right foot stays planted and i step forward with my left foot and swinging my arm like i was swinging a baseball bat, LHBH. played baseball for many years when i was younger and although im left handed i swing a bat right handed so the movement came pretty natural. im throwing 360-400 consistently depending on what disc i throw and have thrown 440ish a few times, usually when someone tells me i need to put step into my drive so i outdrive them XD I would love to see a video that could help me get even more distance

Latest posts