• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting a new player...my 7 1/2 yr old daughter :)

My little girl is turning 9 this summer, and will be playing her first PDGA event in August. She's got a bunch of lightweight discs from Leopards down to Birdies to toss around in the yard, but when we go to the course, her Pearl and Ruby cover everything she needs.

If your daughter enjoys carrying all those discs, more power to her - it should be about fun and fun only right now. But at that age, a diversified, adult-style bag is probably more of a hindrance than a help.

She is getting more discs b/c she bugged me about wanting more discs. She sees all the cool discs I have and wants more of her own. Plus part of it is just seeing what she throws well. If she does best w/the Aviar, no need to pack the others, but she hasn't tried many other putters yet. I definitely believe in trying more stuff out and seeing what sticks.

In the end it's all about fun. If she has more fun throwing more discs, it's a pretty cheap hobby to take chances on discs. If she doesn't like them I can always try them out and there is always the MP if all else fails heh

A couple years ago my daughter was lucky enough to have Carrie Berlogar as her daycare provider. She gave a little Disc Golf class to the daycare kids and they all got a disc. She got a 150g Squall.

She tried it some more. For some reason she tries to throw left handed, even though she is right handed. I took her to play a few times, but she hasn't really gotten interested. She is 9 now. I might try again soon, but she get exercise other ways, so it is somewhat up to her.

Good luck with your daughter!

My 11 year old daughter is sponsored now, loves playing. Throws several discs to keep things fun, but knows what really works when the shot calls for it.

150g Aviar P&A
163g Champ Rhyno
158g VIP Warship
150g Pro Teebird
155g Opto Diamond
158g Opto Diamond

So, I have a Supercolor ESP Buzzz (the one w/the honeycomb and such on it) coming for her tomorrow, but we keep having people tell us they have discs for her. Made a new friend last night and he gave us an R-Pro Wraith. I told him I thought that would be a "grow into it" disc for her, but he said he never threw it so hang on to it till then. Then I ran into a guy tonite who said last week he had discs but they were in his other car. So he gave us SEVEN discs :) Below is the list of all the discs we have been given this week, to add to the 2 Leopards, Aviar and Shark she already had.

(to try out)
174 Gateway SS Magic Blue-Gray
174 Gateway Organic Magic Green
172 Innova Bottom Stamp DX Aviar Peach

(probably not throwing anytime soon)
164 Innova R-Pro Boss Blue
169 Innova DX Beast Purple
170 Innova DX ?? Red (pretty sure an OS driver)
170 Innova R-Pro Wraith Peach

She hasn't thrown the new Aviar yet, but she tried the Magics out and said she liked how they felt. Since she has a pair of Aviars and a pair of Magics now, I told her we will come out and work on putting practice one day and she can have a bit of a runoff between the discs for which she prefers. I have some Classic Judges coming tomorrow, so she can try those out too.

She's still loving disc golf after a month. I'm really enjoying this

The absolute best disc I've found for people at that power level is a quest rock-it. It's easy to control and get a nice flight out of even with only 50-100' of distance.

Not a fan of pushing light weight disc for young or female players. They are easier to throw, but if they continue to play, they will likely move to heavier discs. Then a transition is necessary for form and throw. In addition to the good suggestions made.

Stratus
Comet
Xpress
Mamba
Underworld
XL

Good luck man, and it is great that you are finding some thing positive and healthy to spend time doing with your family.

Not a fan of pushing light weight disc for young or female players. They are easier to throw, but if they continue to play, they will likely move to heavier discs. Then a transition is necessary for form and throw. In addition to the good suggestions made.

I strongly disagree. Way too many people including a lot of female players throw discs that are way too heavy. I got light stuff for my fiancee, she now throws 300' and still throws only 150 class drivers.

It's also not that big an adjustment, I have no problem throwing her 150 teebirds and valkyries and then going back to drivers in the high 160s and low 170s.

Once again I agree with Mash - my son started out with lighter stuff, and the adjustment to more moderate weights was gradual and of no consequence. I still throw some lighter weights.

My 8 year old daughter has went out to the course with me the last 2 times. She will throw for a few holes then gets tired/bored. Her 2 favorite discs are her lat64 diamond and 165g MVP ion. She was working on her backhand form until my friend showed her forehand rollers. Now that's all she throws.:p

Stratus
Comet
Xpress
Mamba
Underworld
XL

Good luck man, and it is great that you are finding some thing positive and healthy to spend time doing with your family.

Thanks. Her younger sister is 5 and doesn't get throwing the discs yet, altho sometimes she tags along and tries. 3 Comets are in my order that is arriving tomorrow for my to work on my form and I've been considering letting her bag one of them during our rounds. Underworld is another I have been interested in too.

She was working on her backhand form until my friend showed her forehand rollers. Now that's all she throws.:p

You know, it's really weird. I showed her how to do a roller one day and she pulled a couple off. Now for some reason, when she tries to do a tomahawk roller w/her right hand (she's normally RHBH), it goes all flutter and flips and goes nowhere. So she switched to tomahawk w/her left and gets 40' rollers heh. Of course, her BH is averaging more like 60 or so, but still it's kinda funny.

She was doing a runup on the teepad, but then stopping cold and doing her throw. I told her that wasn't adding anything to her throw so we're now working on a single step and throw combo. Which is usually all I need when I'm making a 2nd throw on a hole w/my Buzzz heh. Working on her form is hard right now, but I'm having her re-try some throws as long as people aren't pushing up behind us. Usually if she takes her time w/the throw she is pretty on target. When she gets too fast is when she throws at some crazy angle into the woods or criss crosses the fairway in 2 throws heh

Got the new discs today. She bagged that 2nd Aviar and both Magics and I think mostly used the Magics for putting on our 6 hole round tonite. The rest of the night was mostly her throwing her new SuperColor ESP Buzzz and occasionally tossing a Leopard or Shark as 2nd shots. When no one is pushing up on us I make sure we both throw extra shots cuz hey, can't hurt to practice more :)

2 Leopards, 1 Buzzz, 1 Shark, 2 Aviar, 2 Magic. Plus those other discs she now owns but isn't bagging yet. You know what she had the nerve to ask me tonite? "Daddy, so when do I get more discs?" heh. It's an obsession. She comes by it honestly tho. Cuz you know, owning a dozen discs already isn't enough :)

Starting her at 7 1/2, eh?

You're about 7 years too late. :\

I kid. I kid.

My son works a Stingray pretty well. He's 5.

Yep, she's doing pretty well so far. Someone had linked up a Dave Dunipace video about putting, just a quick 90 second one. I had her watch and I think what I've been trying to explain to her about the short toss and not using her whole arm for putting finally clicked. Right now she's usually throwing about 60', but her release timing is off so she sometimes criss crosses the fairway from throw to throw. Very straight throws, just off target. She can 5 some of the par 3s tho, so I'm trying to get her to aim for that one most holes. She knows it's all for fun tho, so she doesn't get down on herself for having 8s and 9s on some holes

Try a 150 class Gateway Element in S plastic. Small rim for small hands, and very easy to throw. Magic or Vibram Summit for putter. Get online and pick out a "pretty" medium Summit and she'll love it.

I couldn't agree more with the DX Cobra suggestion.. I haven't been playing as long as some and I'm certainly not a pro but I started with the Cobra and it helped with my timing and release. When I first started, someone told me that was one of the best beginner discs.. Well, it was. I keep a few extra for when I introduce others to the sport and it always seems to give the best flight for new and young players. I'd definitly give it a shot.

I couldn't agree more with the DX Cobra suggestion.. I haven't been playing as long as some and I'm certainly not a pro but I started with the Cobra and it helped with my timing and release. When I first started, someone told me that was one of the best beginner discs.. Well, it was. I keep a few extra for when I introduce others to the sport and it always seems to give the best flight for new and young players. I'd definitly give it a shot.

When my son started at age 6 he was using a lightweight DX Cobra and learned to throw it really well. Definitely a great disc for young kids. Now he's 8 and is throwing leopards for backhands and a 150 teebird for flicks. Last night at our local handicap league he tied me on three holes and actually scored lower than me on one... so much fun to watch kids learn and progress. :thmbup:

they made 130 buzzzes I think.
I know Gateway makes super light discs, and normally you can get a driver mid and a putter for around 20 bones

The Diamond, Ruby and pearl may be a good one, pretty colors and easy throwers.

130g dx archangel..........thats what my daughter uses.......when she is not trying to steal my pink sparkle saint