• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The answer you seek is a Z Wasp. Very similar feel to a Rancho Roc but a tick more OS than a fresh KC and is not dumpy.
Asking because I'm a sample size of one; Z Wasps I have to throw harder than a KC Pro Roc. It's not really a dumpy fade issue, it's a "I'm not getting as much glide" issue for me. If I throw a Z Wasp exactly like a KC Pro Roc, the Wasp is going to come up quite a bit short of the Roc. Is that a common issue or a me issue?

The answer you seek is a Z Wasp. Very similar feel to a Rancho Roc but a tick more OS than a fresh KC and is not dumpy.

I've seen this answer pop up a few times. I'm wondering about the Lat64 Anchor as well. Truth be told, I don't click with Discraft plastic. It's all too slick for me, at least the newer stuff is. I'll feel some of them at my local shop tomorrow, though!

Asking because I'm a sample size of one; Z Wasps I have to throw harder than a KC Pro Roc. It's not really a dumpy fade issue, it's a "I'm not getting as much glide" issue for me. If I throw a Z Wasp exactly like a KC Pro Roc, the Wasp is going to come up quite a bit short of the Roc. Is that a common issue or a me issue?

I'd agree with that from my experience. I actually like that feature from the Wasp, you can lay into it more than a KC or DX Rancho and have a low likelihood of flipping it all of the way over.

I'd agree with that from my experience. I actually like that feature from the Wasp, you can lay into it more than a KC or DX Rancho and have a low likelihood of flipping it all of the way over.

Which is good to hear, for me at least. I rely quite a bit on my mids, so having an OS mid I can lay into a little bit is exactly what I'm hoping for.

I was able to find a semi pearly stock run Z Wasp and tried it out today against a handful of other Rocs in various plastics and types and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. It feels very similar to the Roc3, but holds up a little better in the wind and has a more gradual forward fade instead of a hard cut left. Plus it handles power much better than a champion Roc, and I was able to get a few solid forehands in. Thanks for the recommendation, kevdiv :thmbup:

I was able to find a semi pearly stock run Z Wasp and tried it out today against a handful of other Rocs in various plastics and types and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. It feels very similar to the Roc3, but holds up a little better in the wind and has a more gradual forward fade instead of a hard cut left. Plus it handles power much better than a champion Roc, and I was able to get a few solid forehands in. Thanks for the recommendation, kevdiv :thmbup:

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. My recommendation actually comes at a time when I've been throwing the Wasp less and opting for a fresh heavy DX Rancho instead. doesn't take away from how good a disc it is though!

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. My recommendation actually comes at a time when I've been throwing the Wasp less and opting for a fresh heavy DX Rancho instead. doesn't take away from how good a disc it is though!
That's sort of my next step is figuring out if I want to keep a DX for the under stable only and then mainly throw KC, or if I want to do all one or the other. I haven't put enough time into them to answer that right now, but sounds like you really enjoy the classic DX cycling over KC Rocs.

Does the Roc come in any plastic that flies like DX, has good grip like DX, but has more durability than DX? I'm thinking XT or R-Pro might meet that description, but I haven't tried them.

Basically I want a KC Pro Roc with better grip.

Does the Roc come in any plastic that flies like DX, has good grip like DX, but has more durability than DX? I'm thinking XT or R-Pro might meet that description, but I haven't tried them.

Once upon a time it came in RPro. It was exactly how you describe. I threw them exclusively (with 30yr). I wish they did another run. In both the plus and regular run.

XT is more durable than DX, but not as durable as KC Pro.. And btw, in my experience, you can get the glossy finish on modern KC Pro discs to go away by scrubbing it with dish soap with a coarse brush. Seemed to help mine. Give it that and some time on the course and they end up getting pretty decent grip. Especially if you get a dab of moisture on your thumb and finger tips.. works for me with my KC Pro Rocs.

XT is more durable than DX, but not as durable as KC Pro.

This is what the marketing material says, but not my experience when I tried XT Rocs. In my experience they warped on tree hits much easier/faster than DX and beat in differently. They ended up with some flip much sooner than DX but also maintained fade. I feel like a beat in DX will flip up and then just hold whatever angle it ends up on. The XT Rocs would get to something like a -1,1 flight and much sooner than a DX. The XT Rocs were also very flat, almost like a Roc3.

It wasn't only XT Rocs that I've seen warp easily on tree hits either. XT Colts definitely did that as well. XT plastic DOES have great grip, but I wouldn't buy it for discs you planned on throwing much, especially in the woods.

Some blends of KC have very similar grip to DX, try to feel up some KC Rocs in the store to find a blend that suits your needs

Last edited:
Are any of the 2021 (I think) Champ USDGCs with the big vertical ROC lettering worth anything?

Found one. Looks like its barely been thrown. Its owner is being a PITA about communication. Rest assured I'm getting it back to him (on top of just wanting to get it back to him, dude offered me a swirly KJ Teebird for my trouble), though I'm about done being the one reaching out at this point. But its been sitting in my car for weeks and I am getting curious. I'm assuming anything worth something is much older than a 2021.

I'm going to start bagging a few Rocs and see how it goes. I have a trip coming up on Monday and decided to throw a DX and DX Glow in the bag. I've never clicked with KCpro, mostly due to the slickness but I ordered 2 more DX Rocs since I decided to try this. One is softer than KC but just as slick (purple). The other (pink) is better feeling. I'll report back after some throws.

I'm going to start bagging a few Rocs and see how it goes. I have a trip coming up on Monday and decided to throw a DX and DX Glow in the bag. I've never clicked with KCpro, mostly due to the slickness but I ordered 2 more DX Rocs since I decided to try this. One is softer than KC but just as slick (purple). The other (pink) is better feeling. I'll report back after some throws.
Back when i threw rocs i always preferred the DX over the KC Pro. KC was nice but the DX was pretty spot on with flight brand new and they built into a workhorse mid for me.

Back when i threw rocs i always preferred the DX over the KC Pro. KC was nice but the DX was pretty spot on with flight brand new and they built into a workhorse mid for me.
Agreed, I far prefer DX to KC because of how slick KC is. I actually also like that they break in quicker too. I've been using the same DX Roc regularly for about 6 months now and it still has a lot of life.

I did pick up a 20yr San Marino star Roc a while back for cheap in an auction and the flight is like a slightly more stable KC pro (more LSS). I know the sannys are less desirable generally, so they can be found for relatively cheap.

I'm also a DX thrower because it offers the best grip. Would have liked to make KC work, but too slick.

From my first ching roc, through dx glows and various flat tops to the current roc3s, Rocs are probably been the only mold that's always been in the bag for the past 10+ years.

Man the DX Roc is so sweet, but it breaks in so quickly! Haven't played that many rounds with mine and it's already not as reliably overstable as it was out of the box. I realize that's the point of cycling, but I don't like the idea of so much plastic waste and having to put a fresh one in so frequently.

The new C-line MD3 is the only thing I have found that is a remotely suitable replacement in premium plastic. Definitely a faster disc and maybe not as much glide, but I can pull off exactly the same shots with it. Other stuff I've tried is champ Roc3 and Z Wasp, both were too beefy.

Man the DX Roc is so sweet, but it breaks in so quickly! Haven't played that many rounds with mine and it's already not as reliably overstable as it was out of the box. I realize that's the point of cycling, but I don't like the idea of so much plastic waste and having to put a fresh one in so frequently.

The new C-line MD3 is the only thing I have found that is a remotely suitable replacement in premium plastic. Definitely a faster disc and maybe not as much glide, but I can pull off exactly the same shots with it. Other stuff I've tried is champ Roc3 and Z Wasp, both were too beefy.
The Wasp is a really great OS bookend to cycling Rocs. I also have a champ rancho Roc that flies well, but falls out of the sky really quickly. The Wasp is a more-reliably-beefy Roc3 imo and feels almost identical in the hand to a Roc3. Thanks again to kevdiv for recommending that one to me!