• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Also, Rocs tend to be better at pure hyzers than the Buzzz. Buzzzes tend to want to flatten out where a Roc will hold the hyzer the whole way. This type of hyzer is nice because it makes range control much easier and it a really consistant shot.

When I returned to DG in 1998 after a roughly 10 year layoff did an internet search to figure out what discs most people threw. Roc and Aviar topped the list so I bought one of each. I did not like the DX plastic as much since the flight path changed so quickly given the large number of trees that I was hitting with the Roc. So I tried a KC Roc and have never looked back. If I had to play with only one disc this would be the one.

Any newbies out there should try playing rounds with only 2 discs all Spring, a midrange like a Roc and a putter like an Aviar. Just two discs, not multiple versions of each. Once you can make your midrange do whatever you want (straight, right, left) then include a meat and potatoes driver like a Tee-Bird. Try to avoid the super overstable stuff until you have mastered technique. You would be surprised at the number of courses you can tear up with only a putter, a midrange and a driver. Once you have mastered those then you can move on to specialty discs for rollers and super crushes. I never could understand the hackers who insist on having a bag full of the latest drivers when all they can do with it is spray stall crash hyzers all over the course.

understable sanny?

I'm a Shark thrower, but picked up a "new" DX San Marino Roc recently due to all the talk here.

My field test didn't go as planned... it just kept turning over. I was throwing into a fairly brisk headwind, but I got none of the controlled fade I expect with a Shark. Could I have a mutant disc? Should a Roc be so easily influenced by wind? (The Sanny feels very stiff compared to a DX Shark and isn't very domey.)

I'm a Shark thrower, but picked up a "new" DX San Marino Roc recently due to all the talk here.

My field test didn't go as planned... it just kept turning over. I was throwing into a fairly brisk headwind, but I got none of the controlled fade I expect with a Shark. Could I have a mutant disc? Should a Roc be so easily influenced by wind? (The Sanny feels very stiff compared to a DX Shark and isn't very domey.)
The Sannies are special runs of Rocs that don't fight wind nearly as well as the Ranchos. They're more understable and a different mold than regular prodution Rocs. When people just say "Roc" they're normally talking about Rancho Rocs, which are the normal DX and KC Rocs.

this summer my brother and i were at the local course and the craziest thing happened. we were on hole 6 which is a shorter hole, so he gets out his san marancho rock with the bottom stamp in champion plastic that they only made one of and was originally given away as an offering to the gods of golf. well somehow it made it into the hands of this guy that lives up in the porcupine mountains here in michigan. the guys name is Oley farsincski. he's one of the oldest living voodoo mountain folk (bet you didn't know that voodoo started in the UP eh?) well when he got his hands on that disc he made a special little voodoo mark on the disc and well he won a lot of bar fights with it. when he died he left it to his only living reletive (my brother). so anyways that how my brother got this voodoo roc. so he gets it out to throw for his drive on hole 6. he lets that disc go and just as it left his hands it split in two! my thought was "thats the crappiest voodoo disc i can imagine", but i could not beleive my eyes. the first half of that disc landed in the basket for an ace, and the second half flew off over the trees. i finished the hole with par and my brother went up and grabbed the half a roc out of the basket. we then went up to hole 7 and we look to see which placement the pin is at (they move it occassionally from the top of the pole to the bottom. and again i could not beleive my eyes. the other half of the roc was in the basket of hole 7. we debated what to do but in the end agreed that we would just mark hole 7 as a 0. well my brother put the other half of the roc back in his bag with the first half and we went on our way. then on hole 8 he reaches into his bag to grab his putter. he always throws his putter on holes longer than 600'. and he accidentally grabs the roc. and it's hole again!

and that is why i now have a bag of nothing but rocs in verying molds and state of breakin. i always have a brand new roc that i never throw EVER. and one roc that is of such an old mold that it actually has mold growing on it (from the time i used it as a plate and never scraped off the potato salad that i didn't finish). ever since then i have scored a perfect 18 on every course.

I still love my Rocs...but I have given in to the Buzzz and am not looking back. I still carry a 150 star Roc from the Japan open in my bag as well...it's a little better for longer hyzers for me as well as low shots that require very slow arm speed (usually because I'm up against a tree!).

Why do so many people use a disc that they'll have to perpetually buy again and again?

You are addicts. Not for the rock but for the roc.

:confused: What disc do you throw that you DON'T have to buy again and again?

I was wondering the same thing. The difference with the roc isn't how quickly it beats, just how useful it is at all stages of beating compared to many discs that just get beat into rollers and are done.

this summer my brother and i were at the local course and the craziest thing happened. we were on hole 6 which is a shorter hole, so he gets out his san marancho rock with the bottom stamp in champion plastic that they only made one of and was originally given away as an offering to the gods of golf. well somehow it made it into the hands of this guy that lives up in the porcupine mountains here in michigan. the guys name is Oley farsincski. he's one of the oldest living voodoo mountain folk (bet you didn't know that voodoo started in the UP eh?) well when he got his hands on that disc he made a special little voodoo mark on the disc and well he won a lot of bar fights with it. when he died he left it to his only living reletive (my brother). so anyways that how my brother got this voodoo roc. so he gets it out to throw for his drive on hole 6. he lets that disc go and just as it left his hands it split in two! my thought was "thats the crappiest voodoo disc i can imagine", but i could not beleive my eyes. the first half of that disc landed in the basket for an ace, and the second half flew off over the trees. i finished the hole with par and my brother went up and grabbed the half a roc out of the basket. we then went up to hole 7 and we look to see which placement the pin is at (they move it occassionally from the top of the pole to the bottom. and again i could not beleive my eyes. the other half of the roc was in the basket of hole 7. we debated what to do but in the end agreed that we would just mark hole 7 as a 0. well my brother put the other half of the roc back in his bag with the first half and we went on our way. then on hole 8 he reaches into his bag to grab his putter. he always throws his putter on holes longer than 600'. and he accidentally grabs the roc. and it's hole again!

and that is why i now have a bag of nothing but rocs in verying molds and state of breakin. i always have a brand new roc that i never throw EVER. and one roc that is of such an old mold that it actually has mold growing on it (from the time i used it as a plate and never scraped off the potato salad that i didn't finish). ever since then i have scored a perfect 18 on every course.

Taxman has been flyfishing with Jim Harrison. Those shrooms really get the brown trout on the DG....cuz it didn't involve killing, cooking and eating something with several bottles of wine. He might have enjoyed the walk, if he could bring his dogs along.

Funny Michigan post.

The original 21.2 cm diameter disc came back in '95 as the "Classic Roc." It has the "Roc" name, but it should be considered a completely different unrelated disc to the other Roc's. It is nothing like a Roc.

The Roc shouldn't be called a Roc because it flies nothing like the REAL Roc....the mo-fo'in classic roc.

They should've called it the "freedom rock"

Latest posts