• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Next McBeth

samhammy

Do you think anyone can attract the fan base and have the success Paul has had out of the current players?

In 10 years or so I think we'll see disc golfers who migrate from other sports with serious arm talent and athleticism that will make some of the golfers we're seeing today look a lot worse.

I thought it was gonna be Eagle a few years ago when he was first coming up. He was so young and so good. But he has not gotten as dominant as Paul so far...

IMO, the most talented golfer out there not named McBeth is Calvin - key for him will be whether he can continue to show his personality and develop a brand for himself that has widespread appeal.

With the growth of the sport and the many many amazing young athletes that are currently on tour along with the financial support from multiple companies we may never see another super dominant champion for a while as opposed to multiple single and double-world champions.

Current players? Probably not. Can anyone, further down the line? I definitely think so. But Paul's own presence is too big in the moment and no one has shown they can be the Rafa to his Roger.

I thought, at one point, we'd have a Rafa-Roger-Joker type triumvirate of dominant champions with Ricky-Paul-Will. But that ship seems to have sailed. Maybe Rick gets back on track as a Rival on par with Paul... but right now Paul is clearly out ahead.

I don't know if that player exists in the MPO field at the moment. A healthy Ricky could push Paul, but you basically need a young player to come in and be better than 90% of the field in 2-3 years to have a shot a Paul like dominance.

Maybe Klein, or Aderhold, or Arlinghaus. But I doubt it. I think Woj is correct in saying that Beast is still too relevant for anyone else to shine quite yet.

Do you think anyone can attract the fan base and have the success Paul has had out of the current players?

Attract a larger fan base? Sure....a savvy player could pay to advertise their channel all over the place and easily attract a larger fan base. Success in tournaments is something totally different. I think the talent at the top is going to be so marginal we many never see another Paul or Paige ever again in disc golf. I think Discraft probably feels the same by investing so much in Paul.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138513

There are several players with the skill (great putting, driving, accuracy), but there's 2 things that most don't have...
1- An elite level putt, backhand drive, sidearm, and approach accuracy. Many players have 1-2, or maybe even 3 of these, but seldomely all 4.
2- The BIGGEST differentiator is cold blooded license to kill. Not one player even comes close to his killer instinct. It's either he wins, or it doesn't even matter. Other players are happy with a top 10 finish, not McBeth. If he's on chase card, it's almost more exciting than seeing him on lead card, because he will do whatever it takes to win. His performance under pressure is unmatched.

Last edited:

IMO, the most talented golfer out there not named McBeth is Calvin - key for him will be whether he can continue to show his personality and develop a brand for himself that has widespread appeal.

You linked two key things here. Success on the course and personality. Paul has the personality of dry turkey. It is a testament to the quality of disc golf fans that they by and large support the best players, like Paul, and not the best personalities. I think that is changing though. There will probably be an internet personality that takes the sport by storm.

My vote goes to Ezra. I think he is fun to watch, and he is a physical specimen. His speech impediment is so over the top it has become branding, just like Ahnold. He can throw a mile. 450' with a Luna? WTF??

What we really "need" is the new Nikko and I don't see him in the pipeline. We need a bad boy to start feuds and throw his bag and swear and smoke a cig mid round and get DQ'd for not giving a f. Every face needs a heel, and right now we just don't have any good heels.

What we really "need" is the new Nikko and I don't see him in the pipeline. We need a bad boy to start feuds and throw his bag and swear and smoke a cig mid round and get DQ'd for not giving a f. Every face needs a heel, and right now we just don't have any good heels.

I dunno, I think there's a bit of Charles Barkley in McBeth's Jordan.

Disagree.

I'd much rather see someone who would have to give me a reason to cheer against them, rather than giving me so many. And I don't even cheer against Nikko, but I don't really have to either, because there are so many people I can cheer for and channel good energy.

I don't think in a sport where your personality has so much to do with how much money earning potential you have, that we're ever going to see the wrestling 'heel' tropes anytime soon.

Austin Hannum is a bit of a classy heel in a way. He trash talks and has hot takes and whatnot on Twitter.

Maybe Klein, or Aderhold, or Arlinghaus. But I doubt it. I think Woj is correct in saying that Beast is still too relevant for anyone else to shine quite yet.

Zach is local and imo has a chance to go big in his future. That young and throws the way he does is amazing. His head seems to be his biggest problem and that will improve with age and maturity.

Not saying he'll be the next Paul but he has a good chance of getting closer than anyone else I know*.

*I don't pay attention to others so if you asked "what about XYZ" my answer will be, I never heard of them. :)

If Kyle Klein can stay healthy and starts training like a serious athlete (does he? dunno) then I think his ceiling is McBeth-high. Only a fraction of the phenomenal talents get to the top though, much less dominate their game or sport.

I don't know if that player exists in the MPO field at the moment. A healthy Ricky could push Paul, but you basically need a young player to come in and be better than 90% of the field in 2-3 years to have a shot a Paul like dominance.

Agree with this, and I'll just say, it WILL happen. Look at any other sport... no matter how dominant of a player there was in the early days, there's always others that follow, even if the true "GOAT" of the sport is debatable.

I'm too lazy to see if there was some kind of old forum topic saying the same thing about the next Climo. Climo, McBeth, x, y, z. As long as disc golf is a viable sport that somehow tracks the success of the top pros, there will be folks who come and dominant for several years from time to time.

I'm too lazy to see if there was some kind of old forum topic saying the same thing about the next Climo. Climo, McBeth, x, y, z. As long as disc golf is a viable sport that somehow tracks the success of the top pros, there will be folks who come and dominant for several years from time to time.

you don't even have to check to know that there were, and still are, far too many of them.

I like how Eagle McMahon is 22 and in everyone's top 5 in the world and we talk about him like he totally missed his window.

true but can that killer instinct be learned?

you don't even have to check to know that there were, and still are, far too many of them.

true but can that killer instinct be learned?

I think that's what sets McBeth apart. He has a Jordanesque ability to compete, come through in the clutch and win.

Obviously he's got skills puts in a ton of time, and disects the game. But I'm talking about his situational awareness and ability to put pressure on opponents, while thriving on it himself.

The strongest part of his game is between his ears.

I dunno, I think there's a bit of Charles Barkley in McBeth's Jordan.

You mean he's not a role model? :p

Last edited:

Latest posts