• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros Registering for NTs

Great discussion here!

I would still like to get this clarified by Chuck. Since there are more than 10 touring pros registered as it is now, are those 10 spots gone? Or is it 10 spots in addition to whoever registers? I only ask because if its ten additional spots then this issue could be solved.

I actually run the Ledgestone Insurance Open NT sponsored by Discraft and we expect to add $40,000+ to the pro purse. I know registration is going to go quickly and after seeing this I want to avoid any issues with registration. Ledgestone is actually sponsoring live coverage of the Memorial and we are opening registration after the Memorial.

At this point in time I tentatively plan to open registration on 3/2/15 at 6PM CST for anyone registered above 990 for MPO division only. I will probably use the most recent ratings date when determining that rating cutoff.

I then expect to open registration for everyone else on 3/5/15 at 6PM. Registration will take place at www.iregisteredonline.com and registrants will need to have a profile setup on that site to register.

Chuck isn't an authority on the PDGA NT rules and regs. If you really want the final answer, you have to ask Andrew or Michael at PDGA HQ.

Great discussion here!

I would still like to get this clarified by Chuck. Since there are more than 10 touring pros registered as it is now, are those 10 spots gone? Or is it 10 spots in addition to whoever registers? I only ask because if its ten additional spots then this issue could be solved.

I actually run the Ledgestone Insurance Open NT sponsored by Discraft and we expect to add $40,000+ to the pro purse. I know registration is going to go quickly and after seeing this I want to avoid any issues with registration. Ledgestone is actually sponsoring live coverage of the Memorial and we are opening registration after the Memorial.

At this point in time I tentatively plan to open registration on 3/2/15 at 6PM CST for anyone registered above 990 for MPO division only. I will probably use the most recent ratings date when determining that rating cutoff.

I then expect to open registration for everyone else on 3/5/15 at 6PM. Registration will take place at www.iregisteredonline.com and registrants will need to have a profile setup on that site to register.

I would be glad to clarify this for you. Once 10 touring players have signed up there is no obligation to hold or offer additional spots for touring players.

It's more than just "a few pros." These are some of the top names in the game... ex-World/USDGC/Euro champs, top 10 players, and probably the second and third best players in the world right now...

Avery Jenkins (Waitlist #25)
Karl Johan Nybo (Waitlist #35)
Nikko Locastro (Waitlist #8)
Pasi Koivu (Waitlist #34)
philo brathwaite (Waitlist #16)
Ricky wysocki (Waitlist #20)
Shasta Criss (Waitlist #36)
Simon Lizotte (Waitlist #32)
steve Brinster (Waitlist #12)
Jessica Weese (Waitlist #18)

If I'm throwing down $$$ to sponsor this NT event, I'm super pissed that Wysocki and Lizotte are sitting on a freaking waiting list. Everybody cries about "growing the sport" and getting more media coverage for larger events in order to draw in sponsors, and then they don't let several of the top players in the world into an NT...? So stupid.

And here's a news flash... THE TOP PLAYERS IN ANY SPORT ARE SUPPOSED TO GET PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. Imagine if the US Olympic committee started holding one day online sign-ups for anybody who wanted to run the 100 meter dash. "You're time in the 100 was 1:43:02, but you signed up first and payed your $200 so you're going to the Olympics!" That's what this is like.

What they should do is have a week-long sign-up period and base who gets accepted strictly on rating. If Wysocki signs up on the last day, then whoever was the lowest rated player on the accepted list would get bumped out. Goodbye 868 guy, here's your refund, you've been replaced by 1047 guy. Hope you were smart enough to not make travel arrangements until after the sign-up period closed. And if 868 guy doesn't like getting bumped, then he needs to improve his rating before next year...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Keep dreaming on them putting a minimum rating on the NT. Doing so would kill the tour more than it would help it. There simply aren't enough players to sustain it.

And those guidelines you found are only that...there is nothing official or binding about those guidelines in the least. Players above 970 are not required to play Open. Players below 970 are not restricted at all from playing Open.

Keep dreaming?? Beaver state already does this. So does the Vibram open and a few others.

Ratings Based Professional Registration:
Due to the overwhelming demand for this event and our own desire to attract the very best players this sport has to offer we will once again be instituting tiered, ratings-based registration for the NT side of the event.

Here is how tiered, ratings-based registration will work:
• Phase 1: 03/18/2013 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all 1000+ rated Professional players, plus all FPO women.
• Phase 2: 04/01/2013 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all 970+ rated professional players, plus all age-based professional divisions.
• Phase 3: 04/15/2013 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all remaining professional players.

Important Notes:
• Do not ignore your registration window. This event will fill quickly.
• We will have division size caps in place to ensure non-MPO divisions remain viable.
• Anyone attempting to register before their tier is open will have their registration rejected.
• We will be holding a limited number of slots for 2013 National Tour Champions and returning 2012 Beaver State Fling MPO & FPO Champions.

There ya go, problem solved. Done...

Keep dreaming?? Beaver state already does this. So does the Vibram open and a few others.

No, they don't.

BSF has a tiered entry system that favors high rated players, but it doesn't flat out disallow lower rated players from getting in.

Vibram has a qualifying system which in no way is related to rating. Any player in any division (as long as they play the same layout as MPO) can attempt to qualify at a qualifying event. They also use a waitlist system to fill any spots that aren't taken by qualified players. Usually at least 30-40 players, usually more, get in that way. And a majority of those waitlist players are locals who are in no way 970+ or even pros in some cases.

There is not a tournament in the US (can't speak for Euro events) for which you have to have a minimum rating to participate in the Open division. They may restrict entry in a variety of other ways, but they don't outright bar sub-970 (or any other rating threshold) players.

I tried to skim through all these posts to find the nuggets of good stuff. I got to talk to someone who is playing a big role in running an NT event this year the other day. Monday in fact right after this was posted on Facebook from Nikko. Him and I agreed that Nikko made some valid points. A better way to handle registration for at least NT events would probably be a good thing.

We also agreed that a whole lot was wrong with his I should be gifted a spot mentality. For starters his sponsor should be handling his registration to all Major and NT events in the year. Period. There is at least one disc manufacturer that I know of that does just that and you know what? All of their players who planned to play in the Memorial got registered. These players knew the event would fill fast. They should have planned better. If you're going to be in the woods you need to make your sponsor have someone ready at a computer to sign you up. Or you need to get a friend to sign you up.

NT events make you hold 10 spots until two weeks before the event. So if those spots aren't taken then the TD has to try to get 10 open players to fill those in 2 weeks. That's not really fair for anyone. Open up the registration to the top touring professionals on a wednesday evening and then open it up to everyone else on that Friday evening. That gives them 48 hours to get signed up. That's all the special treatment they should get. You want them there, you want your tournament to have top players, but no TD should be bent over trying to coddle a bunch of players who can't get themselves organized. This is your job, get it together. I don't get to miss out on registration for an IT professionals seminar and then go on Facebook and bash the organizers because I'm doing this as my career. Man up, get your priorities in line. I saw him and his girl saying they were helping less fortunate kids and this was their reward. Well that's pretty silly they expect to do good deeds and get a reward outside of just being a volunteer but who helps needy kids in the forest? Were they feral kids eating off the land? Doesn't add up to me but whatever. Point is he's an adult. He's a business man, a career player. He needs to take responsibility and make sure he gets registered somehow to the events he depends on to make his living.

I think it should be a random lottery to pick you gets to play the event. Open registration for a week and let people sign up when they have time. Then draw for participation spots randomly to be fair to all competitors.

I would be glad to clarify this for you. Once 10 touring players have signed up there is no obligation to hold or offer additional spots for touring players.

Thanks!

This year was considerably quicker, less than 3 hours. Last year was closer to 24 hours, how close, I don't remember.

This year was considerably quicker, less than 3 hours. Last year was closer to 24 hours, how close, I don't remember.

Very interesting.

This brings up 2 points of interest for me:
  1. For those who think the pro's should have better prioritized (sitting at their comp right when it turned on - how were they to know it would fill so much faster this year. Many may have assumed that they would have been able to sign up safely after they returned home from their rounds that day.
  2. Given this - how crazy will be the signup at the next BIG tournament this year. Knowing this went so fast, this may force even more stress on signing up immediately for the remaining key tournaments for the season. Should make them all go fast and magnify the issue.

I've known a few tournaments go down this road, to filling in a matter of minutes. Once people are getting shut out in short time, they all rush to register at the starting gun. If The Memorial follows the same formula next year, they might find themselves in that boat. If they do, it's not a matter of the top players not putting priority on registration; it's mostly luck.

You could have no sympathy for the whiny top pros getting shut out, and say it's their own fault. But the other side of the coin is that the NT and PDGA want those top pros there. It's in their interest, not to coddle the players, but to ensure that they can get in if they want.

Edit: Timeetyo beat me to it.

I am NOT the 800 something rated Ryan Johnson! After looking at the list, there are a lot of really solid Advanced and Intermediate players in the MPO field at the Memorial. Wink Wink.

Way too many marginal "pros" this year, but they are completely within the rules to be playing.

All of these suggestions about qualifiers, minimum ratings, short registration periods, x number of spots held seem complicated compared to what I suggested.

There are X number of spots available. Registration period is Y weeks. During that time, anybody who is qualified can register by putting down a deposit on their entry fee.

At the end of the registration period, the players with the highest ratings/tour points will be awarded the spots, and will have a set period of time to pay the balance of their entry fee. If they don't, they forfeit their spot and it will go to the highest rated/points person on the waiting list.

Players who don't get in will have the option of going on the waiting list or getting a refund.

Players who get an entry and pay for it, who then withdraw within 14 days of the event lose a significant share of it.

No need to dictate what the minimum rating/points should be. The market will dictate that. No need to know what times to open registration as a couple of weeks with it available around the clock should be plenty. No need to hold additional tournaments to get in as your balance of play over multiple existing events is essentially your qualifier.

So......?

1 Round each at Vista, Fiesta Lakes, and Fountain Hills? What about the last round?

What about pools? I'm sharing a car with a guy in MPM, are we gonna be in different pools now?

Latest posts