• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Truly unique molds

I totally get that especially back when there were so few molds you couldn't nit pick to this degree.

There are so many discs now, if you want one that flies a certain way you can have ten options with five distinct feels and rim configurations.

I'm just too spoiled having come into the game in the last ten years.
I knew a lot of guys who used to hold discs up and say they were overstable or understable because the nose was blunt or sharp or whatever. They really obsessed over the design of the discs, and discs like the Gazelle and the Cyclone had a lot of features to the design to obsess over.

As a player I just kinda threw them and went with it. If the Cheetah was faster than the Raven, I really didn't care why that was. It just was.

I'm really glad I started throwing when I did; the amount of options out there now are daunting. It was a lot easier to figure out back in the day when you stood around with 10 guys and asked them what mid they threw and eight of them said "Roc". :|

I threw Sharks and Hawks for quite a while in the early/mid 90's. Years later when just looking at discs in the collection I noticed the ridge in the wing; when I was throwing them I never noticed it. I also never noticed the bead on the Roc and Cobra VS the Shark and Stingray; it never bothered me and I never looked at the discs that closely.

Years later the Internet came up and people would ask questions and I'd have to run down and look at the discs in my stash to answer them, because 15 years ago if you asked me if the Shark had a bead or no I would have had no idea. I never looked at the disc that closely when I was throwing them, I just looked at how they flew.

Yep I get that, it has a ridge not a bump, a bump from what others say would make the mold both Concave and Convex in the wing which is close but the outer part after the ridge is flat. The mold from what I thought for a long time was an extra valley in the disc. You are right, the ridge does not bother me. I use the shark different from the Shark 3 as the Shark is my all around disc for approach/windy putting as well as OS driving putter and the Shark 3 is my midrange/shorter tunnel. The 2 Champion Shark 3 when I got those in 2017 I noticed the ridge on both molds. I could use in the slot of the Shark 3 a Lion provided the mold is still made for the same slot as Shark 3 when I need to replace the Shark discs. On the top of the Ontario mold Shark discs I use, they tend to be the taller dome discs with the flat middle part.

Latest posts