• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unless thrown at the proper speed, distance discs underperform...

Early on, I gravitated toward beat in Pro drivers (Leopard and Orc were easy to get moderate D out of) until I developed more distance through improved technique. I now throw a beat pro Wraith for max D. Eventually, I'd like to be able to toss a new speed 11 or higher driver as they are intended, but I'm not there yet.

This is why I just got an Inferno for Christmas. I'm trying to "cheat" the system with a longer disc that can be thrown by my lesser arm. I love Joe's Universal Flight Chart. :)

This is the exact reason why my Sidewinder was going much farther than my Surge. I just didn't have the arm to get it out there before it decided to nosedive. I'm just now working up to a Wraith, but I'm still hanging back and leaving the Sidewinder as the go to disc.

I love Joe's Universal Flight Chart. :)

I love Joe's Universal Flight Chart too. More than just like, like it.

It's like most things in life. You're better off when you match the equipment to your ability and to the task. The Ferrari analogy is a good one. If you drive a full race vehicle on the street, you'll be cursing every stoplight till you learn to control it. And even then it won't be an easy drive.

The first time I injured myself, I tried throwing my old reliable 175g Viking as soon as I got back to playing. It wasn't pretty. The next time I injured myself, I shelved my drivers and just used mids and putters. That worked out better. But I also learned that I'd have to throw lighter, slower stuff if I wanted to throw 18 holes without too much pain. Now I throw mostly understable 150g stuff. Since I've chosen my discs to match my arm, even though I can't do everything I used to, I can still throw pretty decent rounds. There was a time when I was happy if the disc just went straight.

Balance is the key.

Always good to take a step back and look at things in a realistic point of view. I have been focusing on speed 9 drivers or less and working to get those out as far as I can. It really has improved my form and technique. I will slowly work up to faster speed discs and will step back down if I feel like it is negatively affecting my form.

I think that the disc weight has a lot to do with how the disc performs for you. I have been throwing max weight discs because they were easier to get to go straight. Now however I am finding that I can throw the lighter 168-170 discs farther and just as straight with a lot less effort on my part. Getting the distance I am wanting out of the disc with less effort means more control.

So many times I will have a friend that got a Valk, I ask him how he likes it, he says that it just dives hard left. Well guess what, he got a 175 champion Valkyrie. That is the most stable valk you can buy right now. Him beeing new he could have gotten a 160 or less Star Valk and probably had a straight flyer out of the box.

threw a katana (162) today for the first time and i have to say...its the most d for the least amount of work ive ever seen. mad glide. on the fence about picking one up as theyre like $22!!!:O

The formula for Power is Mass X Speed2 (squared). So when you talk about power and speed, how do you define that?

If you want a good article, there is one out there called Grip it and Rip it. He tells how to get the nose down.

Donald

A lighter weight disc for less powerful throwers will help get more D too, you can get more speed with a lighter disc.

Donald

threw a katana (162) today for the first time and i have to say...its the most d for the least amount of work ive ever seen. mad glide. on the fence about picking one up as theyre like $22!!!:O

Was it a pro? They are hard to find in the lighter weights. The website says that they make a star Katana in 165 however I have not been able to find one.

The word "power" seems pretty much useless to me in disc golf, because once the disc leaves your hand, the only things that matter are speed, spin, and release angle. The only use for a "powerful" arm would be in helping you generate disc speed, but when you're throwing objects that are less than 180g, "power" isn't very important. It's more about flexibility, joint elasticity, length of body parts, and, of course, coordination. This is why I think the best body type for disc golf is the long, lean ectomorph, rather than the heavier, stronger mesomorph or endomorph. That's not to say you'll never see a man shaped like a bowling ball become a top pro, but I'd expect it to be less common.

:clap:

Perfectly put. My friends think I get more distance than them because I am bigger and stronger. I argue that if anything I am at a disadvantage being a heavy guy that is less agile.

I'm going to throw this out there and I'm sure that many of you will light torches but I've found that throwing newer sharp nosed drivers that are way beyond my skill level has actually helped my game. Why? They are much less forgiving when it comes to nose angle. When I go back to my slower discs I am getting much better results. In the past the slower discs would mask most of the angle issues.

This is why I cringe when I see new players throwing DX Wraiths, because they liked the picture on it, and they don't understand why it doesn't go straight.

I'm going to throw this out there and I'm sure that many of you will light torches but I've found that throwing newer sharp nosed drivers that are way beyond my skill level has actually helped my game. Why? They are much less forgiving when it comes to nose angle. When I go back to my slower discs I am getting much better results. In the past the slower discs would mask most of the angle issues.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Kinda like learning how to drive in a Hi-Po car. If you can handle that, most any normal car is a pussy cat. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I pull out my ultralight Inferno. Maybe I won't curse it as much.:D

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Kinda like learning how to drive in a Hi-Po car. If you can handle that, most any normal car is a pussy cat. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I pull out my ultralight Inferno. Maybe I won't curse it as much.:D
I'm not going to make this recommendation for newer players but it did help me get past a plateau.

"A proper tool for a proper job", goes the old saying. Let's say you are currently throwing a speed 9 Valkyrie as your fastest disc. This disc was used to set the current world distance record.

So under calm conditions why would you move to a faster disc? I think there are a couple of good answers to this question but the reason(s) many would give as an answer are poor answers.

After my first mini this past weekend (i was doubles partner with a 17 yr old bombing a teebird) and after reading this thread I decided to take every disc in my bag that is above 10 speed rating out and replace them with slower ones. I'll see how this helps me over the next few weeks and report back. :)

I'm going to miss my wraith, but hopefully I will see it again

After my first mini this past weekend (i was doubles partner with a 17 yr old bombing a teebird) and after reading this thread I decided to take every disc in my bag that is above 10 speed rating out and replace them with slower ones. I'll see how this helps me over the next few weeks and report back. :)

I'm going to miss my wraith, but hopefully I will see it again

I think you will soon find that those "slower" discs will get out as far as any other discs, especially Teebirds which can resist turning too far over.

I did the same thing and just traded away my R Pro Boss and the Wraith is heading out as well, along with my Monarch and some others. Maybe I will miss them once I crack 350' but I will see what my tastes are then.

Point #1 - There are many courses out there that have at least one hole where a ferrari would be the best bet, even in the hands of a newer player.

Point #2 - If you can't drive a ferrari don't trade it in for a mini van. Learn how to drive it! That means spending the time it takes to learn proper technique and then practice, practice, practice.

What are we defining as the ferari? The super fast discs? I might think the Farari is a Valk or Teebird.

Is there definitive proof that a Boss will go further than a Valk? (lol thats kinda loaded there)