• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Using a Zephyr

They don't fit well in most bags and prone to massive warp being stuffed into a bag and in the heat.

I keep a Condor in my putter pouch of my Innova deluxe bag, with my putter inside the Condor. Perfect fit.:)

I started using a zephyr as a joke on my home course, now it has gotten to the point of at least once per week I play a fast 20 minute solo warmup round with the zephyr and often shoot under par.

The Zephyr is no joke! I keep on saying I'll play a round with only my Zephyr and a putter on the home course, but haven't done it thus far. Perhaps this weekend is the weekend!

They don't fit well in most bags and prone to massive warp being stuffed into a bag and in the heat.

Yeah, that's why I stopped carrying a zephyr in my everyday bag. I've got a zeppelin in there for lid duties since it fits with the rest of the discs. I still play zephyr only rounds, especially if I'm taking new folks out. That lets me throw a little closer to the distance they're getting and doesn't frustrate them with having to throw 3 shots to get to my drive.

Yeah, that's why I stopped carrying a zephyr in my everyday bag. I've got a zeppelin in there for lid duties since it fits with the rest of the discs. I still play zephyr only rounds, especially if I'm taking new folks out. That lets me throw a little closer to the distance they're getting and doesn't frustrate them with having to throw 3 shots to get to my drive.

That only works with new players. I have played with some intermediate guys with my zypher (only disc in the trunk). They didn't appreciate when they threw almost as fas as me that day...

About the same as my Envys/ Wizards. Little shorter than my Rocs.
You know. Around 475'.

Last edited:
I would only pull a zypher out in a super class round for that long of a pull.

When I carry a big lid in normal rounds, its usually a hero mold in the mountains. A light superhero (135g usually) can bend more in a shorter distance. I usually pull it if I am burried and have very limited room to move and want to run the chains OR when I am behind a tree and the basket is on the other side and I need more arch than distance.

I can get 300' with a zephyr, but I would only use if for that shot if I was playing a zephyr only round. I'm confident out to 275'ish as long as there's not a super low ceiling.

I can get 300' with a zephyr, but I would only use if for that shot if I was playing a zephyr only round. I'm confident out to 275'ish as long as there's not a super low ceiling.

Awesome. I'd love to see a Zephyr fly that far. One question: Does it land on the same day that you throw it? :)

Awesome. I'd love to see a Zephyr fly that far. One question: Does it land on the same day that you throw it? :)

Not if you throw it after about 11:15 pm. You can walk up to where it's going to land, wash your hands with some Purel, eat a quick sandwich, wash it down with a nice cold beer, and then stand up to catch it.

Picked up a 175g and a 200g Zephyr today for a snow round. Added a Polecat and a putter just to compare and not feel TOO weird. :)

First, playing in the snow with the Zephyr and not dealing with ribbons and lost discs was fantastic, and we had an absolute blast playing through nine holes twice. Considering the poor footing and being new discs, I was pretty ecstatic to get a few 200'+ drives off with these things, but they're definitely more finesse discs and hugely impacted by wind. Makes sense, it's a lot of mass for the wind to push around. Once I slowed down and stopped trying to murder the things, I started to throw them pretty well.
Two things stood out to me. 1) I cannot get over how freaking slow the Zephyr is. It takes fifteen minutes to get 200' but you're mesmerized the entire time. And 2) when the wind wasn't pushing them around, they really held their angle and line so well.

Definitely better suited on shorter courses if you're doing Zephyr only, but what an absolute blast Zephyring around the course.

Picked up a 175g and a 200g Zephyr today for a snow round. Added a Polecat and a putter just to compare and not feel TOO weird. :)

First, playing in the snow with the Zephyr and not dealing with ribbons and lost discs was fantastic, and we had an absolute blast playing through nine holes twice. Considering the poor footing and being new discs, I was pretty ecstatic to get a few 200'+ drives off with these things, but they're definitely more finesse discs and hugely impacted by wind. Makes sense, it's a lot of mass for the wind to push around. Once I slowed down and stopped trying to murder the things, I started to throw them pretty well.
Two things stood out to me. 1) I cannot get over how freaking slow the Zephyr is. It takes fifteen minutes to get 200' but you're mesmerized the entire time. And 2) when the wind wasn't pushing them around, they really held their angle and line so well.

Definitely better suited on shorter courses if you're doing Zephyr only, but what an absolute blast Zephyring around the course.

Yep :thmbup:

Quick question for you Zephyr aficionados: I understand that the mold is PDGA legal, but what about the weight? Could I throw a 200 gram Zephyr in a tourney or does it have to be 180 gram and under?

Quick question for you Zephyr aficionados: I understand that the mold is PDGA legal, but what about the weight? Could I throw a 200 gram Zephyr in a tourney or does it have to be 180 gram and under?

The max legal pdga weight of a disc has to do with the diameter. Larger the diameter, the larger the approved weight is. So yes. 200g is the approved weight.